Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Compromise for a winter road bike….
  • Kryton57

Is a set of winter wheels adequate compensation if I can’t stretch to a winter bike? Something like some RS10’s which are serviceable and fairly hardy?

Or am I kidding myself…..?

Digger90
    Free Member

After this winter, riding virtually every weekend whatever the weather, everything bar the shifters is worn out.. . chainrings, chain, jockey wheels, cassette and wheel rims. Oh, and 3 sets of brake pads.

iainc

I’m gonna buy a triban for £300

jonba
    Free Member

It can be expensive. What about just getting a fixie or a singlespeed?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes.
    I used hope open-pro hoops and a set of raceblades over winter.
    This was on a pegoretti 8)
    I did clean the drivetrain properly after every wet ride though.

Kryton57

I can’t help thinking a Triban with race blades could work…

fasthaggis

Get a ladybike and use it as a winter ride. Oops wrong thread,sorry. 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

What about just getting a fixed gear

Best thing for winter, full guards and two brakes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, just get a spare set of wheels. My drive train still shifts ok, cleaned it once and swapped the chain. My wheels wore out though.

Kryton57

Not sure if you are being sarcastic DavidTF?

The reason I asked is that my winter riding has cost me a set of rear wheel bearings and a week off the bike while the got replaced. On inspection the hub “caps” aren’t very well sealed and I don’t have spare wheels.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im not, my drivetrain is still working fine, probably not optimally though.

My wheels were shagged by about January.

Kryton57

Ah, my apologies. My drivetrain too is fine. I’ve a chance at some RS10’s for £75 so…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Take it on. Probably best off with the heaviest rims you can find, I guess they’ll last longer. Use some good pads an all, not the cheap ones with bits of metal in them! Also, clean your rims.

officialtob
    Free Member

I’m in the opposite camp. Currently have a winter bike (a Ribble special), and can’t stretch to a sexy summer bike. Can’t even be bothered to take the mudguards off!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Plus, it’ll feel like a differnt bike when you put your good wheels and tires back on and take off the mudguards.

cookeaa

Best suggestions so far are definitely cheap 2nd set of wheels or spend £300 on a triban 3 and treat it as a disposable bike for the winter.

Its worth taking into account the extra wear and tear your good bike will see if thrashed through next winter in addition to the wheels…

njee20
    Free Member

How many sets of bearings can you buy for the cost of new wheels? IMO a winter bike won’t save you money, but don’t let that stop you. I have one.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheaper wheels, but just clean it after every ride unless it’s been dry, and just lube and wipe off.
    If you’ve been out for hours what’s another few minutes.

hora
    Free Member

You own a Pegoretti? Pics-I bet its lovely. I keep looking at a roadbike but within my budget they all (carbon) look like, well plastic crap. 🙁

asterix
    Free Member

Well I only have one road-bike. One LBS asked me recently if it was my winter bike which hurt a bit. It’s a CAD4 R500 cannondale with a Shimano 105 wheelset and a 105 groupset. So it is a good few years old. Has it really reached ‘winter’ status?

kilo

May be mistaken but think i had rs10s and they break spokes for fun and the spokes if you can get them arr not cheap

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    How many sets of bearings can you buy for the cost of new wheels? IMO a winter bike won’t save you money, but don’t let that stop you. I have one

2. But also bear in mind the annoyance of not being able to ride whilst said wheel(s) is in the shop.

TheSanityAssassin

I’ve got a pair of Mavic Open Pros on Hope Pro 3s for my winter wheels. I’ve also got the replacement bearings in stock for when necessary.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Me same as Sanity, why because they are good wheels and the previous ones [Mavic open pro’s Ultegra hubs] the rims have worn out.
    As for a winter bike I believe the ruling is :-
    “After 2 years your summer bike becomes your winter bike and a new bike is bought in that winter for the summer.”

So please obey the rules and just wait

LS
    Free Member

The reason I asked is that my winter riding has cost me a set of rear wheel bearings and a week off the bike while the got replaced. On inspection the hub “caps” aren’t very well sealed and I don’t have spare wheels.

Buy the bearings in advance and change them yourself – time off the bike = 20 minutes.
    Personally I’m a big believer in having a winter bike that saves wear on the ‘best’ bike. But I’m not one for using a cheap and cheerful one, I’m definitely in the hand-me-down summer bike camp. You spend a lot of time on a winter bike so it may as well be a nice one that you enjoy riding. Who wants to drag an old heap out of the shed when you’ve got four hours in the rain ahead?

Kryton57

I’m finding it hard to visualise a Bianchi Sempre with race blade longs….. :-/

LS
    Free Member

I managed to get proper SKS guards into my old Litespeed so raceblades on a Bianchi is no issue, practically or visually 🙂

Kryton57

Hmm. I can’t make my mind up whether my current wheels should be left as posh wheels. Or just wear out the bearings as last year.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Compromise for a winter road bike….’ is closed to new replies.