Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Compressors.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

It’s about time I made a purchase….
    I have learned that cheap stuff doesn’t last me, and I do like nice toolage.
    But, given that I just want to pump up bike and car tyres, is there any advantage to buying say, an ABAC over a cheap SGS?
    I’m just looking at 6L small efforts anyway, but money saved could go towards the park inflator maybe?

maccruiskeen

At that size and for those purposes the Senco PC1010 is very good – well made, compact and extremely quiet

wrecker
    Free Member

Oooh spendy. Naughty man!
    Only 0.5 Hp though? Is that sufficient?

maccruiskeen

Only 0.5 Hp though? Is that sufficient?

do you run your bike or car tyres at anything over 125 psi? I think it’ll manage 🙂

bigblackshed

I’d forget the Park inflator. Utter junk. The cheap tyre inflators from Aldi with a Topeak hose and head is doing a sterling job 10 months in.

wrecker
    Free Member

do you run your bike or car tyres at anything over 125 psi? I think it’ll manage

The important metric is the flow rate is it not? With tubeless, you want to get the air in quick. Most shops I have seen have pretty big units, and all they get used for is pumping up tyres.
    No idea what the minimum flow you need for tubeless is though.

Tracey

You can blow up tubeless tyres in seconds with those Aldi ones they were selling of at £25 a couple of weeks ago. Even came with the airhose, pressure guage and both types of valve adaptor.

maccruiskeen

The important metric is the flow rate is it not? With tubeless, you want to get the air in quick

Thats what the tank’s for – if you’ve got a 6 litre tank it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference whether the motor is big or small – the rapid burst of air is going to come from the tank.

Most shops will have bigger compressors because

A – 25 litre compressors are ubiquitous and cheap (and noisy and unreliable)
    B – 100 litre compressor are quiet when running and are hardly ever running if all you are doing is inflating a few bike wheels
    C- the want to look like they’re doing something that you can’t do at home.

If you can inflate tubeless bike tyre with a 2ltr pop bottle you can manage with a 6 litre compressor.

a 6 litre tank at compressor pressure is going to hold the equivalent of 20 to 30 litres at MTB tyre pressure so its plenty

maccruiskeen

Should be perfectly capable – bit loud but if you don’t inflate tyres and unsocial hours thats fine.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks,
    I don’t really want to upset my (very pleasant) neighbour.
    Might have another look at that Senco……

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Ive got one of these, perfect for the job and nice and small / portable (for a compressor). Noisy when it’s filling but pops the tyres up a treat. Got mine on a deal for about £50 iirc – screfix seem to do them fairly regularly

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-dn-8-5-4-5ltr-air-compressor-240v/22374

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Compressors.’ is closed to new replies.