Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help! Compressor vs CO2 for tubeless
  • Kahurangi

OK, so I may be starting to admit it would be useful to have at least one powered solution for doing up tubeless tyres, at least getting them to seat for the first time.

CO2:
    – continual not-insignificant cost of use
    + cheap to buy
    + small and portable

Compressor:
    – big and not portable
    – large initial outlay
    + lower cost of running
    – no idea what to buy

So what compressors and kit is out there? I'm probably not going to wait for the next Aldi special on compressors and I have no clue what I'd need.

RealMan
    Free Member

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

co2 pump is easy and cartridges are 50p each if you buy in bulk

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Burls72
    Free Member

^^^^ Track pump. The secret is to use lots of soapy water with it, never had a problem and they always inflate easily.

scaredypants

haVE you taken the valve core out before using a pump? – makes lots of difference

foxyrider
    Free Member

Stans website suggests not to use CO2? Maybe the sealant doesn't work as well in CO2 than air?

mmb
    Free Member

i use a double barreled footpump (car type) with an adaptor.

br
    Free Member

Just buy the cheapest full-size (24l) compressor, and a box of co2's for when out.

uplink
    Free Member

Compressors are great workshop tools
    They're not just for blowing tyres up

Kahurangi

I don't have a shed or the need for a fully equipped workshop yet!

Yes I have an OK track pump* and arms like tree trunks** and yes I had the valve out. I might give it another try with soapy water, but I tried to use sealant in the tyre to help last time. Is soapy water going to be any better?

* not a lie
    * a lie

trail_rat
    Free Member

neat fairy liquid round the bead ….

still dont own a compressor 😉

btw if you get decent tires (ie tubeless ready ones) then you can just inflate as if there were a tube in them – super easy ….

scaredypants

soapy water / watery soap is essential IMO

Kahurangi

neat fairy liquid round the bead ….

does that never give you problems with burping?

btw if you get decent tires (ie tubeless ready ones) then you can just inflate as if there were a tube in them – super easy ….

That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. But then you have the privilege of paying £££ for a limited range of UST tyres or Spesh and Bontrager who do decent 'tubless ready' types.

soapy water / watery soap is essential IMO

It wasn't for my last set of Conti's. Seat using tube, remove, pull on to bead by hand, pump like a good 'un.

I got lazy with my recent attempt with Larsen TT's as I didn't want to remove the valve. The ding in the rim didn't help.

trail_rat
    Free Member

spesh fast traks – awesome all round XC tire … think i paid 39.99 for a pair in store at EBC

epic tires – lacking in traction for uphill muddy bits but i bet my bottom dollar that in mud like that your quicker running anyway. on muddy downhills they act like a rudder as well as anything else !

roll super fast , very predictable in loose gravel and sweet on kitty litter/trail center – oh and fairly resistant to punctures in 2bliss tubeless guise.

tron
    Free Member

If I were messing about with tubeless and didn't have a use for a compressor, I'd do the following:

Buy one old car wheel and tyre. Old Jags have wide and high profile tyres.

Pump it up to 50psi or so.

Get a hose to connect two Schraeder valves to each other.

uplink
    Free Member

does that never give you problems with burping?

Cucumber does it with me 🙂

I always use soapy water & have yet to fail to seat a tyre – never used a UST specific one just loads of different makes of normal tyres

kamina
    Free Member

I've done a lot of ghetto tubeless conversions, and have occasionally encountered tires that you can't get to mount with a track pump despite trying for hours.

I do agree that tubeless / tubeless ready tires inflate very easily, and a lot of normal tires will mount with enough soap and a good track pump.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help! Compressor vs CO2 for tubeless’ is closed to new replies.