Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Compressor – presta valve inflation
  • singletracksurfer

I’ve got a compressor, but it currently has no hose or attachments so I’m wondering what people use. I want it for doing tubeless tyres primarily but all the inflators have schrader fittings – what do people do/use to inflate presta valves?

I’ve seen some simple & cheap shrader to presta caps on flea-bay.

While you’re here, are they any other gadgets/attachments you’d recommend I get for it now too? The air blower one could be handy I guess.

Thanks.

wwaswas

I tend to run one of the schraeder to presta converters in the end of a cheap car tyre inflater attachment but never leave the valve core in the valve itself, just push the converter against the body of the valve so it seals – you need to get that big rush of air into the valve.

this sort of thing – the rubber makes a good seal on the decored valve stem.

Stoner
    Free Member

buy one of these and bodge it on to one of the fittings you have.

I have one fitted to my little compressor and its great for doing the bikes and the cars/motorbikes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Cycle-Tyre-Tube-Schrader-Presta-Dual-Head-Air-Pump-Adapter-Valve-/141383463047?hash=item20eb1c7087:g:fn8AAOSwA-ZThGZy

hatter

I have the very nice Park Tool INF-2, not cheap but fully rebuildable with a decent pressure guage and I’m pretty sure that if I ran it over with the van it’d still be fine.

Also has both Shreader and Presta valve fittings so you can use it on your car tyres etc without having to switch inflators.

Northwind

There’s the prestaflater too, but I just chopped the valve off the standard inflator and fitted a topeak smarthead, perfect. (ymmv, you need the hose sizing and the like to match up)

Stoner
    Free Member

I have the very nice Park Tool INF-2, not cheap

£110!

I paid less that that for my compressor! 😀

teethgrinder

That little brass thingy. I have one on the wheel with a Schrader dust cap on at all times. Can be quite useful if out and about and need to use a garage airline.

Mine screws onto the core itself, but no issues inflating tubeless.

singletracksurfer

Thanks people.

That was the funny little converter I was looking at. Will get that then. Might give the topeak head bodge a go too. The park tool is nice but too pricey for irregular use.

Any other useful things to put on the end of a compressor? 😯

MadBillMcMad

I use a short piece of beer kit tube, just happens to be the perfect fit at both ends

thepodge
    Free Member

the one we have at work is so powerful I just take the valve core out and push the two ends together, takes about 10 seconds, if I had a proper attachment I think it’d go up too quick and I’d likely damage the tyre / come back with less fingers.

Tracey

These kits were on offer at our local Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Ours has both adaptors for the valves

https://www.aldi.co.uk/air-compressor-accessories-kit/p/049936004185000

zilog6128

I got a Prestaflator a few years ago, it’s OK but the fitting onto the valve is very very tight (a few skinned knuckles removing it!) plus the build quality is not all that. Bought an Airshot a while back and now much prefer using that than a compressor anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Compressor – presta valve inflation’ is closed to new replies.