Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Compressor for UST?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys, after never having a problem inflating tubeless UST tyres with a track pump (nobby nics, maxxis ignitor, conti race king/mountain king) i have become stuck and unable to complete even get a remote bit of air into the bontrager mud x (tubeless ready not UST tyres) 🙁 i tried everything i could think of and its a no go, i physically drained myself tring to do it….is there a nack of doing so with tubeless ready ones? i tried to inflate with some sealant in and smeared around the bead and the rim (stans sealant) and then cleaned it out and tried with nothing in and FAIL.

so is there a relatively cheapish compressor out there that i can buy to save this hassle? also it CANT be huge like the lidl/argos ones that are the size of a lawnmower (no where to store it)….rims are 819 ust and as said above never had a problem with proper UST tyres in the slightest 🙁

HELP!

sockpuppet
    Kahurangi

I’ve not tried my Mud X’s tubeless but have run some standard tyres tubeless. Have you tried the method whereby you seat the bead using a tube then removed the tube and have half the tyre already seated…

lipseal
    Free Member

I’d get THIS just to pi$$ the next door off IMO

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not tried the tube thing to be honest – good idea i guess just to get the tyre seat – has anyone else had this problem with a new mud x tubeless ready one?

it goes to show that UST ones are incredibly easy to fit, i am shocking with knowledge of anything bike related, but i could easily get proper UST tyres on with a track pump and some soapy water first time usually!

whats the correct way of fitting the Tubeless Ready ones then, perhaps im missing something as the instructions are vague to say the least 🙁

do i just put some soapy water on the rim, with NO sealant in then pump like a biatch, or do i not bother with soapy water and stick a few sloshes of stans in and pump like a bitch? (never done tubelss this way before, always put sealant in once tyre was seated)

really is frustrating, had to bang other tyre back on (nobby nic) and it went on and popped four times straight away 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

Make sure tyre is properly on the rim. If its new, putting a tube in first and blowing that up to about 40psi can help stretch the tyre into the right shape a bit. Leave it for like 30 minutes or so to stretch.

Attach track pump. Push tyre tread down into the rim by the valve to push the sidewalls nearest the valve into the edge of the rim.

Pump, while still holding tread down (pump one handed (oo-er)).

Sometimes I do this before adding sealant, usually I just bung the sealant in before hand.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i found my 29er TLR mud x’s a bit tough to fit to bonty TLR rims and failed with the trackpump, although a CO2 cartridge worked

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, realman is this talking from past experience with the same setup? xm819s and mud x TLR??

gonna give it a shot, no doubt will fail big time haha

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I use a track pump on my Ingnitor LUST & Conti MK all the time; I changed the valves to long ones only 3 hours ago and………up they went.

I’ve never ever had an inflation issue?? The only time it didn’t go straignt up (ooower missus) was when I forgot to lift the wheel from the floor; this breaks the seal as does holding the tyre.

I rub ky, or stans round the bead before whacking in the air; works every time and did today.

I’m using 819 rims.

I don’t have time to read the entire thread.

Feel free to email, I’ll give you my mobile if ur really stuck mi old 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey lovetubs! cheers for the offer but i said in one of previous posts up above ive never had an issue with proper UST tires (maxxis, conti, schwalbe etc) however the new tyres are tubless ready not the patented UST tires, im guessing this is my issue 🙁

ive done about 10 brand new proper UST tyres in the past and all have gone up easily first or second time and popped 4 or 5 times with a cheapo track pump…

its just not having it with these mud x tubeless ready ones 🙁

ive got a mate with a powerful compressor at worst would be nice to do it myself though, feel like ive failed 🙁

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Sorry Didzy, I should have read the entire thread… 🙄

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

neee worries mate appreciate the offer 😆 obviously the bead on the tyre isnt quite as good/compatible with proper UST rims, why the hell dont they just make UST tires and not these bloody tubeless ready type things, it would be ohhh so easier if it all was UST printed on the tyres 🙁

swarren27
    Free Member

went tubless last night for the first time flow rims mud x tyres and stan sealant using my track pump took 20 minutes and are still inflated now so no problems with mine.

Weasel
    Free Member

I swapped my tyres over this week and couldn’t get them to inflate (I have a tubeless conversion kit), and tried the air pump at the local Shell garage as a last resort.

I had some spare screw in presta valves, so replaced the current valves which were clogged up with sealant, used the soapy water etc and the tyres inflated straight away.

I have also found in the past that the air used to escape a lot where the tyre bead didn’t sit properly above the valve area so used zip ties to clamp the tyre down while I pumped away like mad with the track pump.

MarkN
    Free Member

+1 on tube in to get the bead seated on a new tyre. Another way is to take the valve core out as this will restrict the flow a bit. I have found that it helps.

I used to use CO2 but always seems to get a smeg ball of latex so have stopped using them for the moment.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not much help but I found Mud-X inflated easily with just a track pump (onto a Roval Traversee and a Stans Flow).

br
    Free Member

tbh I bought a compressor a couple of years ago from Screwfix after an afternoon where I failed to seat a tyre.

Now no worries.

Or just try a co2 cartridge.

Mud X on an 819 rim for me, went on reasonably easily.

If you get a compressor, worth getting one of these too:
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88444/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/Metabo-RF363-Tyre-Inflator

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another way is to take the valve core out as this will restrict the flow a bit. I have found that it helps.

Taking the valve out makes a big difference and allows you to get the tyre seated for a few mins which makes inflating quite a bit easier when the valve is back in.

Speshpaul

Another way is to take the valve core out as this will restrict the flow a bit. I have found that it helps.
    +2

I’ve got a ickle compressor from B&Q was about £35 around 4 years ago.
    Bike and car tyres no problem, also a little bit of spraying/ air brush work as well.

Also i don’t know if it was mentioned above but use soupy (washing up liquid) water to help lube the bead when seating.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the advice guys, know this may sound silly, by soaping the bead, do you mean the tyre on the inside, or the rim itself???

my mates said i can pop down to use his compressor, im guessing once its seated for the first time, should i ever need to take it off again i should have no problems getting it back on and seat with a track pump??? generally on proper UST tyres this has always been the case after using the tire for a few months…

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Strangely enough, Bonty Mud X’s are the only tyre i have managed to pop onto my Stans Arch rims with just a track pump. All other (incliding Stans Ravens) have need the help of a compressor.

Sorry, not much help, but there you go!

Speshpaul

I use a hand sprayer with a washing up detergent water mix, pop the tyre on the rim give it a quick spray between the rim and the tyre, stuff some air in it.

13thfloormonk

As far as the bead is concerned, tubeless ready and UST are one and the same, I always thought the difference was only in the sidewall?

Didzy2009, did you get the 2.0 Mud X, was it the re-enforced ARC carcass?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

13thfloor – yeh got the 2.0 mud x, not reinforced no, but niether are the 1.8’s on the site too, must be a special request one for the 1.8’s

the carcass seems as durable/thick side by side to a nobby nic, actually getting the tyre on is a piece of piss, did it by hand, though i guess this is where the problem could be, not quite tight enough leaving gaps every where for the air to escape when pumping like mad, all nobby nics ive tried are hard to get on even with levers but once they are on they hit the bead and pump up and pop straight away….think i had this proble monce before thinkning about it with a brand new race king, and in the end i had to use mates compressor, however id never used the soapy water technique before, guessing i probably would have done it if i had!

still tried 3 times now by track pump with both the new tires and zilch! no good, still not happening and i dont have a spare tube to do it that way…

compressor it is – defeated!

13thfloormonk

Thanks for the info.

When I ran my Jones ACX tubeless ready, it was with several layers of insulating tape wrapped around the rim to make the tyre a tight fit (819s as well)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no worries mate!

quick update – mates magic compressor did the trick (after a while may i add) took a while to seat it after constantly messing and pressing around the valve area to get it to trap some of the air in……having said that we didnt bother with any fairy liquid etc so they were done from new and dry with no ‘lube’….but the inevitable pop came and i was overjoyed, for a minute i didnt think they were gonna even seat with a compressor! even my mate tried with a track pump (experience mechanic) and straight away he said it aint gonna happen!

anyways they are on and by christ where have these been all my life??!?!?!! they are super fast, amazingly grippy and scarily given me a go faster confidence! they PISS on nobby nics for grip and speed, cut through mud, grip unbelievable over roots/wet roots/greasy rocks etc etc, found myself not braking at all on bits im usually cautious of on just my first ride on them! bring on more gloop i say!! 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Compressor for UST?’ is closed to new replies.