Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Compressionless outers – What's good this week?
  • cookeaa

I have acquired a nice cheap pair of RL520 levers and have a basic Tektro Mechanical disc stolen from my missus bike (for the Front) and a Band Brake (for the rear) to try out on my commuter.

I need some fresh cables and so I will want a good compressionless outer, what are the recommendations these days? (Budget is a bit of a factor)

scud
    Free Member

I bought some last week from ebay, guy selling Jagwire ones which were old stock from a closed bike shop, full inners/outers kit for £10

Pyro

I’ve been using the Goodridge brake kits for a fair while, and they seem pretty good to me. Not super expensive, but they seemed to help on both BB7s and Spyres.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Wiggle have ‘lifeline’ compression less outer which I have used on my road bike. £8 I think

Seem to be good – although I’ve not used those particular with standard outer.

IHN

The ones Charlie the Bikemonger sells.

nedrapier

Whatever you go for, it’s worth spending a little extra time making sure the cut ends are clean and straight across the cable outer. A wonky cut or curly bit of wire is going to compress and reduce the compressionlessness of your fancy cable.

Either cut and file, cut and dremel or just cut with a dremel.

cookeaa

I used Goodridge on my CX/Gravel bike last time I set it up, but the supply of Goodridge outer seem to have dried up…

The lifeline “Performance Brake Cable Set” look good VFM, and claim to be compressionless, but it says it only comes with 2.1m of outer… I’m not sure if that’s quite going to be enough to do both ends, the frame is a bit of a farm gate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Compressionless outers – What's good this week?’ is closed to new replies.