Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Compression bibshorts for long distance duathlon
  • wynne
    Free Member

I am doing the http://www.dragonduathlon.com at the start of July which goes from Swansea to Beaumaris. It’s about 300km in total 34km of which is running (over pen y fan, cadair idris and snowdon). I can ride long fastish miles and I often run offroad for long distances but I have never combined the two before. Of the many questions I have, my main consideration is what to wear. Been recommended compression shorts, but I’d want them with at least some padding and a bib. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what’s going to work.
    Thanks.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2XU compression bib-longs that are really good & have a small & effective pad. I don’t think they do them anymore, and you wouldn’t want longs anyway, but I would certainly look at their compression bib-shorts.

dovebiker

Given the distance, a little bit of discomfort will be hell at the end of a long day – unless you can be sure you’re not going to get any rub from a seatpad whilst running, I’d consider swapping shorts between disciplines given that’ll only take a minute – changing into fresh kit can also be a real morale boost, particularly if the weather’s not in your favour.

hairylegs
    Free Member

I’d consider swapping shorts between disciplines given that’ll only take a minute – changing into fresh kit can also be a real morale boost, particularly if the weather’s not in your favour

+1 on this. A general rule is the longer the event, the longer the transition can be. Learnt this from stepping up from Olympic Distance to half and then full Ironman

StackEd

Not quite on your scale but for Ironman (and several half distance tris too) I have just worn a really good pair of Castelli bib shorts all race (for the swim too). Never had an issue with the standard pad, kept away from the thin apology of a chamois you get in tri racing shorts or compression shorts as the bike padding was important and never found the chamois felt like a nappy. I did use chamois cream and I treated myself to fresh socks before the run.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Looks epic. I’ve been looking at The Pig which is a similar duathon and asking the same question. Will probably try wearing my padded bike shorts in training and see how they feel. I guess trying out the kit beforehand is pretty key?

wynne
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I will take extra kit on the day, but I’m tending towards running in cycling bibshorts. None of the runs are actually that long. There is no transition as such, just a requirement that it must be completed in 24 hours.

Did a 14 mile offroad run with a lot of climbing and descending this morning and my faithful old shoes have blistered my arches. The shoes are well overdue replacement. Anyone got experience with On Running?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tri suit worked for me on my only ironman.

I’ve not exercised in compression gear tho.

Whatever you use make sure you’ve tried it before the big day. And shoes…Why not same again?

Stainypants

Looks awesome, perfect thing to train for next year after the ironman this year, just how to break the idea to the wife.

wynne
    Free Member

No way I could do an ironman. The idea of doing the run in one massive block after everything else frightens me. Watched my friend do the Tenby one last year and it looked a monster.

Tried to buy the same pair of shoes again – exactly same model and size but in reality it was a completely different shoe. I persisted with it for a bit but relegated it to workshop duties. It was a Nike Alvord something or other. So, think I need to try something new and quickly. I love my Walsh trainers for mud and bogs, but don’t think they’ll be much cop on the rocky trails in the duathlon.

Stainypants

I’ve been running a lot of fell this winter, and I don’t think you need Walshes as you probably be running on half decent paths something like Innov8 x-talons would be more suitable. Theres good deals on Innov8 on sports pursuit at the moment.

Someone recommended these on my fell running forum

wynne
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll try and have a look at them in the flesh. Having done a bit of searching I am really drawn the the La Sportiva mutants.

jobro
    Free Member

I’ve used Innov8 x-talons for Xterra triathlons for the past 5 years. Really rate them although insoles can be a bit lame (I keep spare insoles from Salomons)
    To go back to your original question about compression clothing. I would have to ask why? There is no evidence that I know of that supports the benefits of compression clothing during competition, after, then absolutely. Even the Australian Institute of Sport that conducted trials using muscle biopsies showed no benefits. Lots of my ultra distance running friends however swear by compression socks but I wonder if this is a placebo.
    My choice for your event would be a standard tri suit. I’ve used this in several Ironman races successfully.
    Good luck on the event – looks really tough.

wynne
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Regarding the compression clothing it was advice given by two ironmen whilst on a recce of cadair idris with them. Not having done equivalent events before I’m vulnerable to advice given to me by people who seem more knowledgeable than me. Think their thinking was that it would support my legs on the steep uneven descents.

I’ve not got an overly techy approach to big events. I’m probably overthinking this and I need to go with my gut feelings on kit. I’m getting all sorts of unsought advice on nutrition and hydration and clothing and kit. When I used regularly to ride the big Tour of Flanders sportive (about 290km in 10 hours) I used to stuff my jersey pockets with boiled salted potatoes and that worked for me (whilst others got queasy from energy gels).

gingajim
    Free Member

I completed the Dragon last year. I just used my normal bib shorts and had no issues with running in them as well. For me the main priority was on-bike comfort. I changed to a fresh pair after the second run (Cadair Idris) just to feel a bit nicer for the longer bike leg. To be honest it’s such a long event that your legs will hurt towards the end no matter what!!!

wynne
    Free Member

Ah, thanks for that. I’m fully expecting to be hurting in numerous placed at various points. I was thinking that on bike comfort will be the main issue as the runs, though severe, aren’t that long.
    Can I ask what GPS you used? Seems to me that battery life is going to be important. Been looking at the various garmins as they seem to do well in reviews. Always stuck a map in the back pocket… So this is a brave new world for me. Ideally, I want to run the sections in advance and commit them to memory.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I did it last year & got changed at each transition.
    It may be a few minutes each time, but I wanted to be comfortable.
    I borrowed a Garmin 1000 for the bike legs so i could have decent maps on it & a Fenix 3 watch for the run legs.
    It’s an amazing event, gutted I can’t make it this year due to other commitments, but planning on returning for 2018.
    Best of luck with it & if you need any help, give me a shout.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Compression bibshorts for long distance duathlon’ is closed to new replies.