Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • composite decking?
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi …Im toying with the idea of decking the rear patio , it gets very little sun during the winter but full sun from around 2 in the summer, i love the look of timber decking but concerned that it may be very slippy during the winter . Ive been looking at composite decking as an alternative
    Has anybody used it ?
    Whats it like yo work with ?
    Can you recommend a supplier ?
    Thanks

zippykona

2 hotels I’ve stayed at have had it around their pools. Seriously grippy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve fitted https://www.timbertechuk.co.uk/ Vertigrain board to our roof terrace. It’s been down about a year now and I’ve seen a friends that has been down a good year longer than that. Very grippy though still needs cleaning (ie you will still get some sort of organic build up on it).

It’s *really* heavy. The ‘invisible’ clip system is more difficult to use than they claim – we had to screw a piece of timber a bit back from where we were fitting and use hammer together wedges to get the boards properly tight. However, the effort was worth it – it looks really good.

IMG_3226

I thought they had an online shop, or at least used to list their special offer stuff. Whatever, call and sweettalk them – I got a significant discount off their list price (that they sent me out with the samples).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s pretty grippy in the wet and dry.

There’s normally a choice between hills section and solid. Hollow is much lighter but is a pain in the arse to fix in any way other than with a clip system. The solid stuff is really really heavy. But you have some chance of getting a fixing in if you need to.

Avoid e-decks. They’re cheap but their service is pretty shite.

simon_g

Decking gets slippery when it’s not cleaned and algae and stuff can grow on the surface – people tend to install it then leave it for years on end. A decent clean and pressure wash once a year and it’s fine.

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t get the grooved stuff: I’t only grippy in one direction.

Millboard is the stuff you want: It’s not cheap but can be built just like wood; it is completely inorganic, so doesn’t grow algae and mold; the fixing nails get hidden beneath the malleable top layer, and it lasts forever. Oh, and it looks great. They also do a framing system, made of the same stuff.

For the record, it’s made of recycled plastic and fibreglass, with a wood pattern imprinted on the top.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘composite decking?’ is closed to new replies.