Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • component security
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

I'm rebuilding a bike for a friend's dad. It was stripped because he leaves it in the park. 🙄 I'll try to persuade him it's dumb to leave it there, because no bike is 100% crime-proof.

I suspect he'll go back to his old ways, so am putting pinhead security on it..

I want to use security bolts for all the components too (brake and gear levers, calipers, mechs, etc). Where can I find them?

MrAgreeable

Pitlock do bolts for brakes I think:

http://www.pitlock.com/

Could get very expensive if you are trying to do the whole bike though.

duntmatter
    Free Member

You're not kidding! Those prices are crazy.

Are there any generic screw / bolt manufacturers making bits I could use?

MrAgreeable

You could try using torx head bolts. Most thieves these days know what an allen key is but I doubt they will be carrying a torx key too.

http://stigfasteners.easywebstore.co.uk/Torx-Head-Fasteners_B2739.aspx

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You could use torx screws that the thieves would be less likely to have and IIRC you can get torx security screws that need a special torx bit with a hollow centre to undo

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/category/torx-keys-bits-screwdrivers

Google is your friend

duntmatter
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. Google's been giving me the cold shoulder on this one.
    Despite your guidance M6 x 25 torx can't be found anywhere. (except panhead, which are no good, or unless I buy in multiples of 100 😕 )

Solo
    Free Member

I posted about using torx with pin in centre a year or two ago. I use them on my "city" HT.

You don't have to go mad though.

I use one for the caliper to the adpater, one for the adpater to the frame, two on the stem face plate, one on the stem to steerer clamp, one for the steerer tube cap, one for the seat post clamp, one in each brake lever bar clamp and thats about it.

I've been leaving my bike in the city for years now and no parts have been removed, so I'm quite pleased with the result.

However, I also cover the bling labels too, so that at a glance, would be thieves don't see ROCKSHOX or XTR, which helps too, I reckon.

Oh, and if you do get screws with unusual shaped drives, buy more than one drive bit for them !…

😀

Solo.

Solo
    Free Member

What and how many do you need.

S.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Is it just a hack bike?

Aralditing a ball bearing into the screw head is a tried and tested way of securing stuff like that, as long as you want it out in a hurry yourself

Tim
    Free Member

If its just a hack bike…singlespeed it, rigid forks, big bolt on axles, ball bearings araldited into any remaining bolt holes (bars/brake levers) (good idea that!)

duntmatter
    Free Member

I need one for each caliper to the adapters, one for the adapters to the frame, two on the stem face plate, one on the stem to steerer clamp, one in each brake lever bar clamp and that's about it.

Unfortunately it's not a hack bike, it's a standard Kona Dew soon to be brought up to Dew fs spec.. Crook magnet! 😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘component security’ is closed to new replies.