Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Compo from Currys
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

When ordering our new oven we had no end of trouble. First, John Lewis let us down so we ordered from Currys. I waited in all day on a Sunday when it was supposed to arrive and it never showed up. It eventually came the following week, so my wife wrote off a complaint (about 2 weeks ago) stating that not only did we have to waste a day, we had also booked in an electrician for the following day which we had to cancel at the last minute. I’ve just had a call from Currys saying they except responsibility and that they will compensate us for the cancellation fee from the spark. Question is, how much would be reasonable to ask for?

scotroutes

How much did the electrician charge?

thehustler
    Free Member

What was the cancellation fee you paid? That would be a fair amount,if you didn’t pay one imho your taking the P yourself and really are worse than curries…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

So what you’re asking is, how much can i rip Curry’s off by?

bitasuite
    Free Member

This is the dilemma. In the end we didn’t have to pay a cancellation fee. However I lost a day, we had no oven for another week and we annoyed our electrician. How do you put a cost on that? I feel it may be easier to quantify by going with the “we got charged £x” so expect this much compo.

I’m not trying to rip anyone off but feel we’re entitled to something.

scotroutes

There is no dilemma.

thehustler
    Free Member

But as said you have not actually suffered any financial loss so what are you claiming for Cracks in the toys thrown out of the pram maybe)?

bitasuite
    Free Member

I think it’s reasonable to ask for some kind of compensation when they had promised to deliver and no one turned up. Maybe you disagree?

Smudger666

Op, if what you’ve posted is correct then you’ve answered your own question – they offer to pay the cancellation fee, so show them the receipt and be happy that they are doing the right thing.

Fair play to them but you sound as if you want more?

Edit, IMHO, of course.

sv

I think £20-30 would be fair, they should have delivered it when they said.

bearnecessities

I think it’s reasonable to ask for some kind of compensation when they had promised to deliver and no one turned up

It is.

However you also told them you’d paid costs, which is what they have agreed to refund. Maybe if you hadn’t lied about that, you wouldn’t have come unstuck 🙂

IHN

I think it’s reasonable to ask for some kind of compensation when they had promised to deliver and no one turned up. Maybe you disagree?

Unless them not turning up has actually cost you something, then what are you expecting them to compensate for?

DezB
    Free Member

So compensation is only ever payable for financial loss? Weird.

Ask for a couple of 100.

you wouldn’t have come unstuck

Being picked on by a few internerds does not equal coming unstuck

project
    Free Member

I hope you give the cancellation fee to the sparkie, being self employed we are let down by customers suppliers every so often, and we have never charged the customer for the supliers failure, so being christmas it would be nice for him to have solme extra free cash.

And if any person from B and bloody Q is able to read and understand customer care policy, sending the wrong doors and then us finding them damaged, so new doors reordered, and 2 more damaged, then one we picked up in store split apart after a week, and your ever helpful staff said it would be 3 weeks before the suplier came out to look at a 30 quid door, 3 weeks without a door on the bog.Pathetic.

2 wasted days and a lot of phone calls,45 mins on one call.

bearnecessities

DezB, ‘unstuck’ as in they have agreed to compensate, but OP faces moral dilemma because he (I assume from info) slipped in an expense that didn’t happen, which is what they have agreed to pay!

Pook

Am i an internerd?

🙂

bitasuite
    Free Member

So what you’re asking is, how much can i rip Curry’s off by

Nope. I’m asking what is reasonable. Some responses on here aren’t (IMHO).

Unless them not turning up has actually cost you something

It cost me a full day (the delivery slot they gave was something like 10am – 7pm. It cost me not having an oven for a week. It cost me putting off electricians and messing them about. It cost me the price of takeaways. It cost me having to ask my dad to sit in our house for a couple of hours when the new one came.

Perhaps there was no direct financial cost. If there were then I wouldn’t need to post on here would I?

IHN

Perhaps there was no direct financial cost. If there were then I wouldn’t need to post on here would I?

Well, exactly.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The OP says only that their letter of complaint included the fact that they’d had to cancel the electrician, not that they’d been charged for cancelling the electrician.

EDIT It appears that the blagging commenced during a phone call.

thehustler
    Free Member

I am not an internet nerd, but have spent most of my working life working in retail for one reason or another, and believe it is right to pay compensation when a loss has been incurred (we’ve paid for a customers flights from Germany b4 now as our supplier lost their property). What I donrt agree with is a shyster who says he’s had to pay a sparkie claiming compo for it and then pocketing said cash himself, in this scenario I’d gladly refind and let said shyster shop elsewhere…….

bitasuite
    Free Member

I haven’t come unstuck at all. They called me and asked how I would like this to be resolved. As part of that they asked how much the cancellation fee was. I said my wife dealt with this and will get back to you. I presume they would be paying some compensation even if we didn’t have to pay the spark, that’s the impression I got on the phone. And this is what I would expect. The original question was, how much is reasonable? From the replies most of you seem to think £0.

What would a normal cancellation fee be? I think around £50 is fair for the trouble caused and if that’s about the same as an electricians cancellation fee then why not use that. Perhaps not 100% honest but I think it’s fair.

thehustler
    Free Member

Currys saying they except responsibility and that they will compensate us for the cancellation fee from the spark. Question is, how much would be reasonable to ask for?

….implies he’s wondering what he should say for how much the sparkie cost

scotroutes

So, just to be clear, you’re prepared to lie in order to get what you perceive as being fair.

Remind me to look for your name in the Classifieds

DezB
    Free Member

Unexpected comedy gem, this thread 😆

thehustler
    Free Member

What would a normal cancellation fee be? I think around £50 is fair for the trouble caused and if that’s about the same as an electricians cancellation fee then why not use that. Perhaps not 100% honest but I think it’s fair.

And will any of this find its way to cancelled sparke………I doubt it so the important words here are Perhaps not 100% honest not I think it’s fair

MoreCashThanDash

Legally you are entitled to what you have lost? Days leave? Days pay?

Otherwise your claim is limited to “annoyance value”. Which works both ways.

thehustler
    Free Member

Sunday delivery, so my guess it wasn’t a days annual leave just an inconvenience, wonder what the OP will pay the sparkie for his ‘inconvenience of losing half a days pay when he should have been fitting an oven?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How did John Lewis let you down?
    You sound like a serial whinger.

cinnamon_girl

An extra year’s guarantee on parts and labour?

Drac

How about you ring them up and be honest, tell them the electrician was kind enough not to change you for something he didn’t do. Tell them you paid for delivery on the original date which they failed to do and you’d like you delivery fee to be refunded.

bitasuite
    Free Member

How did John Lewis let you down?

They told us they had stock and took our money. About a week later they told us they couldn’t find any stock and cancelled the order. It took 5 days to refund our credit card so we couldn’t use it to purchase another oven elsewhere. Their customer service was terrible, but I suppose I’m just whinging eh.

martinhutch

The spark is actually out of pocket after all this.

Having lied to Curry’s, I’d say the best thing to do is to ring the electrician up, explain the situation and ask him to bill you a reasonable amount as a ‘cancellation fee’, which you can then pass on to the retailer for payment.

Presumably you paid extra for Sunday delivery, so this would be refunded as a matter of course, and I would hope Curry’s would offer you some kind of small goodwill gesture on top.

thehustler
    Free Member

It took 5 days to refund our credit card

Controlled by banks not John Lewis

They told us they had stock and took our money. About a week later they told us they couldn’t find any stock and cancelled the order

Not the best but as soon as they knew they offered a refund, not that bad IMHO. At least you didn’t book and then cancel the leccie and then clainm his fees eh?

Cougar

Legally, you’re entitled to compensation for consequential loss. So if you’d (for example) been charged a cancellation fee by an electrician, you should be reimbursed for these.

Time off work is a bit of an odd one. You’re not entitled to compensation for the time you’ve taken off work when the delivery failed to arrive as you’d have taken it off anyway if it had turned up. However, if you then have to reschedule and take more time off work, you’re due compensation for that for any loss of pay or holiday entitlement.

Didn’t turn up on a Sunday, what’s your actual loss? Time? You’d have been in anyway, probably. You’ve got exactly two chances of claiming for that, Jack and the other one.

Fair? Debatable perhaps. But that’s what you’re entitled to. Maybe that’ll help work out a figure in your attempt to defraud Curry’s.

cchris2lou

When John Lewis didn’t have the oven we ordered and that showed as available on their website, they refunded the price of the oven plus £50 compensation. I did not argue as I had not asked for it.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Thanks for the constructive replies.

the best thing to do is to ring the electrician up, explain the situation and ask him to bill you a reasonable amount as a ‘cancellation fee’, which you can then pass on to the retailer for payment.

I think I’ll do that.

I haven’t lied to Currys. Read the OP.

martinhutch

I haven’t lied to Currys. Read the OP.

Sorry. When you corrected them in the conversation about cancellation fees, how did they respond?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So compensation is only ever payable for financial loss? Weird.

Well, yes. Otherwise it would be penalty, and that’s not allowed.
    It’s the same ruling whihc means that private organisations can’t charge you £60 for stopping on their land, even if it does say in big letters that they will.

You know all those parking fine / charge / penalty discussions we have?

This time you’re trying to be the parking company. If you took a day off work, and lost earnings as a result. That can be justified, maybe

Cougar

If you took a day off work, and lost earnings as a result. That can be justified, maybe

Nope – see my post on the previous page. You can only claim for taking a second day off due to non-delivery.

Drac

the best thing to do is to ring the electrician up, explain the situation and ask him to bill you a reasonable amount as a ‘cancellation fee’, which you can then pass on to the retailer for payment.

I think I’ll do that.

I haven’t lied to Currys. Read the OP

Make sure you pay the electrician the full amount.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Compo from Currys’ is closed to new replies.