Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Completely useless things to purchase
  • maccruiskeen

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

*Puts children up for adoption *

jonahtonto
    Free Member

wow this thread has been an eye opener. a man with a 2grand calculator – proper lush mind i want one.
    and what is that, a harris hawk?
    i though i would fit in on this thread but compared to me you guys are off the scale hahaha

lunge

mogrim, if you do want a used cricket ball drop me an email to spcold icott at hotmail .com (all 1 word). I’ll dig one out of my garage and let you know how much it costs to ship one to Spain.

JoeG
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TMQFux3WlO0[/video]

zokes
    Free Member

Another one: mrsZ just paid for me to have a flight in a Tiger Moth for my 30th. Can’t take the grin off my face 😀

somafunk

“Mechanical Curta’s” have been mentioned on here before, I believe Ben (kinetics) has one, when he mentioned owning one in a previous thread regarding them it did not surprise me in the slightest.

I do want that box though……

Not bothered about folding my t-shirts as they hang up in my wardrobe.

I have a very nice set of tungston carbide slip gauges in an inlaid veneered box that i rescued from an engineering workshop, practically useless but a feat of such precision engineering that i really should dig them out of my attic and have them on display.

And sporks are great, i have a few titanium varieties from different makers along with other TI fetish cutlery, i rarely eat with anything else at home and if i can spork or ti-foon it then all the better.

crush83
    Free Member

Sorry my ocd is compelling me to explain the difference between the two eating utensils posted earlier in the thread!

The first is a spork. Which is a spoon and a fork the opposite ends of the same utensil.

The second and comenly mistaken for a spork is a foon. This is a fork spoon, so a spoon with fork prongs in the spoon bowl!

Ahhh ocd relief 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

I have a small obsession with torches. Dont know why maybe some experience as a child!
    I have lots of them around the house different makes and sizes etc. Nearly always buying new ones.

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

Yes that is Aristotle my harris hawk! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dear OCD
    Please read wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

Yours
    Mr Correct 😉

zokes
    Free Member

If he had OCD he’d call it CDO anyway

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a fully plastic adjustable wrench that I got from the Innovations shop in Woking many years ago.

Useful for adjusting polished chrome nuts like on radiators, apparently as I have never actually used it – but it seemed like a good idea at the time…

Cougar

If you have CDO you probably don’t want to read this.

twoniner
    Free Member

I have an urge to buy an On One Dirty Disco. I don’t need one, I don’t even know where I would go on it but I want one 😕

benji
    Free Member

Dear OCD
    Please read wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

Yours
    Mr Correct

Never mind the Spork, they mention Knork’s disappointingly this is also an item of cutlery 🙁

jonahtonto
    Free Member

durham 🙁 Aristotle is really cool but you are too far away for me to ask to come and meet him 🙁

mogrim

mogrim, if you do want a used cricket ball drop me an email to spcold icott at hotmail .com (all 1 word). I’ll dig one out of my garage and let you know how much it costs to ship one to Spain.

Cheers, it’s not that important! I’ll get one (if I remember: unlikely…) the next time I’m in the UK.

dannybgoode

OCD? What would you do in this situation?

tthew

OOh, ooooooh.
    Kona MinUte in half price sale on Chainreaction. I’d so love one of those, but the one-in, one-out policy mean’s Mrs Tthew’s bike would have to be sold, and I don’t think she’d be best pleased. 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I am terrible for this – recently randomly decided I wanted a slingshot (no idea why) so have one of these on order:

Also have a Curta. And spent ages in my youth learning that t-shirt folding technique. Now, after a week in Wales playing on trains, I’m pondering a train set.

Drives my GF mad.

somafunk

Now’t wrong with wanting a slingshot, especially one that will be as tactile to hold and use as that one ^,

Ben : could you possibly advise me on this problem regarding a nexus hub that i had in the shop on saturday.

bencooper
    Free Member

My experience with Nexus hubs is that they all fail. Sooner or later – in Glasgow rain, usually sooner – and the only solution is to replace the internals or preferably junk the lot and replace it with something that’s fit for purpose like a Nexus 8 or SRAM Super-7.

It’s probably something sticking or worn, but you could spend ages trying to find the problem, only to find that spares aren’t available anyway.

somafunk

Yeah that’s the trouble i’ve found wi them – this is fitted to one of two Kalkhoff Aguttu’s which are their only mode of transport and it’s used for perhaps 70miles each week, a good few miles of that is up to their house over a rough/muddy road which doesn’t help much.

I found out the hard way by stripping them completely down that you occasionally do find the problem but like you say there is nae chance of getting the specific spare part, thus rendering a perfectly serviceable hub into a paperweight.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I am terrible for this – recently randomly decided I wanted a slingshot (no idea why) so have one of these on order:

What are the chances? I ordered the exact same slingshot from the very same website on Thursday, and likewise I just decided for no particular reason I wanted one and that one was the prettiest and most expensive so…. Goes without saying really.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, that’s my usual decision-making process too! That reminds me – must pester and see if he’s cast mine yet, I’ve asked for a custom non-etched one…

onandon
    Free Member

Woah – love that slingshot

AlasdairMc

I tend not to buy useless things, but instead buy too many of the same thing. I have pretty much every Alpkit drybag in the range, just in case I need one of a size either too big or too small for my current ones.

That said, I’m finding it hard not to justify a MacBook Air to myself at the moment…

willard

But the MacBook Air is not a frivolous purchase. With such a gadget, one can walk into any coffee shop in the land and show off one’s dodgy hat, hipster glasses and goatee beard with pride!

I think my last useless purchase was an oven timer. Stupid thing. I should have just trusted a) my watch or b) what the food in the oven looked like.

Regarding spork/forkoon inventories, I’ve just checked and have two Ti forkoons in the house and about five or six lexan sporks around. You can never have too many of either in my opinion.

bencooper
    Free Member

</argument>

Lazgoat
    Free Member

An Amazon Kindle if you think it’ll still work after 12 months.

GrahamS

That’s not a slingshot. THIS is a slingshot..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxtHtPK2MH8[/video]

Oh no wait.. THIS is a slingshot…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwTfAMHCG0[/video]

Ah, no… THIS IS A SLINGSHOT!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AySuafZ8to[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

the OCD fuel pump has made me laugh sooooo much!

Sorry I am not closer to you to meet Aristotle but he says ‘Arrr’ to you

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, that reminds me – I must build up my Slingshot frame 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Completely useless things to purchase’ is closed to new replies.