Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Completely OT : Anyone had after-market parking sensors fitted to a vehicle ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Any recommendations for sensors ?
    Fitting ?
    Halfords were suggested, amazingly, but I can’t see that they offer a fitting service anymoe.
    Ta

plyphon
    Free Member

My dad got some eBay bargain ones to fit to my mums car, drilled the holes himself, installed himself. Said it was easy, and they’ve been working flawlessly ever since, over 10 years ago now I think.

Sundayjumper

Potentially quite a big job if you need to remove the bumper put the wiring in. Depends on the car.

I fitted one to my wife’s car, a clever system that’s electromagnetic rather than ultrasonic. No visible sensors, instead you glue an antenna inside the bumper, all the way across, and it detects changes in the electromagnetic field.

It works, but not very well. Rain dribbling down the bumper sets it off and even in the dry it doesn’t have much granularity – it goes from “yeah, all clear” to “OMG YOU’RE GOING TO CRASH” in what seems like a couple of inches. It supposedly works better with two parallel antennas but I CBA taking the bumper off again now.

BigJohn

I asked a similar question a while back. This one.

Some good replies. A couple of blokes in the pub (one who fits them) told me that a camera would be better and simpler. Apparently the ones for about £50 off eBay are good. But I can’t remember the brand he said to go for.

I didn’t bother in the end. I just look for big gaps.

unovolo
    Free Member

Fitted some to the back of a Audi A2 we once had.
    Very simple and no need to take the bumper off, take care to carefully measure and mark out the holes as you only get once chance at drilling the bumper.
    Wiring spliced into the rear light cluster.
    I colour coded mine(had access to a artists airbrush at the time) so the end result looked pretty much factoryfit.

Got mine from Hawk Car alarms online.
    http://www.hawkcaralarm.com/ParkingRearSensorsKit4SensorKit.aspx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Completely OT : Anyone had after-market parking sensors fitted to a vehicle ?’ is closed to new replies.