Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Completely off track! Masters survey for cat owners
  • salmarie
    Free Member

Keeping myself sane by mountain-biking every morning made me wonder if fellow bikers with cats might fill in my survey. Please?

Who?
    A postgrad vet studying for a MSc in Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Newcastle University.

What?
    A short survey of British cat owners:
    • aims to investigate the under-researched area of people’s understanding* of their cats’ behaviour.

How?
    • Your help would be greatly appreciated for this important study
    • less than 10 minutes to complete!

Where?
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/4catspls

All responses are completely confidential.

A summary of the research findings will be available on request in October.

Thank you!

*How people perceive and care for their cats may be a factor in the development of behavioural issues:
    • a problem for the owner and/or a welfare issue for the cat.
    Modern lifestyles and changing expectations may put pressure on the human-cat bond leading to more people giving up cats to rescue centres

wombat

Done, good luck with the research 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

Done

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hamishthecat

Done

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup done

Here’s ours it’s unstoppable

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

stumpy01

Done….

Stevet1
    Free Member

Done – how do I find out the answers! I need a score to verify my (lack of) knowledge of cats!

Yak

Done

MikeG

Done

NormalMan

Also done.

muddyground
    Free Member

Done but some of the questions were a bit odd answer wise – I’ve never, for instance, watched a cat DVD or read a cat book. Yet I’m asked to rate them?

Good luck.

cinnamon_girl

#1stworldproblem

annebr
    Free Member

Done

muddyground – Member

Done but some of the questions were a bit odd answer wise – I’ve never, for instance, watched a cat DVD or read a cat book. Yet I’m asked to rate them?

It does say to leave the row blank if you haven’t used them 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as too much stroking!

EDIT – if you want I can post a link to the survey on http://www.bengalcatforums.com

salmarie
    Free Member

Thanks all. Sorry if the “ratings” question wasn’t 100% clear. It really needs a N/A box, but I couldn’t make it do that. Doh. But I appreciate the feedback as it’ll help when I come to pull apart my findings!

salmarie
    Free Member

Love all the pics!! Yes, please forward it to the Bengal cat forum. Thank you 🙂

jakd95
    Free Member

Done

Coyote
    Free Member

Done

salmarie
    Free Member

For the results, if you like I can post a summary of them (or a link to the summary) here in October. By which time you’ll all have forgotten, but still?

annebr
    Free Member

Yes please 🙂

martinhutch

Done, but you missed out the question:

“How do you know when your cat is plotting to kill you?”

a) Twitching tail
    b) Hard stares
    c) Asleep
    d) Your cat is always plotting to kill you.

cranberry
    Free Member

Yes, please forward it to the Bengal cat forum. Thank you

Done.

Cougar

Done. Look forward to seeing the results.

muddyground
    Free Member

Years of multi choice means I go straight into fast, tick the box, move on mode!

cranberry
    Free Member

“How do you know when your cat is plotting to kill you?”

– “Do you think our human is made out of meat?”

“Only one way to find out” –

PJM1974
    Free Member

I provide a home for two Bengal cats, both of whom are pretty well adjusted and extremely friendly – I dislike the use of the term “ownership” to describe it, I feed them, pay for vaccinations, home them and provide the use of a lap, but I certainly don’t “own” a cat in the way that I’d “own” a dog by being a pack leader.

There’s no such thing as too much stroking!

^this.

One of our Bengals is incredibly affectionate and won’t leave me in peace unless I stroke him, often for hours on end. The other is slightly less affectionate, but loves company all the same.

cranberry
    Free Member

I provide a home for two Bengal cats, both of whom are pretty well adjusted and extremely friendly – I dislike the use of the term “ownership” to describe it, I feed them, pay for vaccinations, home them and provide the use of a lap

You are owned.

🙂

salmarie
    Free Member

No denying we are their servants. Not sure how “A survey of cat slaves” would be received by the veterinary behaviour journals! Not that this will get in, but there’s always hope :D.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Done ,but missed the questions

A. When taking your cat to the vets do you expect to come home covered in blood ?

B. Is it possible for a cat to be %100 a dick ! ?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve just been trying out a new flash gun for my camera – the first time I have used an external flash in 25 or so years ( and it shows – the pictures aren’t technically very good* ), but it shows 10 minutes of living with Bengal cats:

http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22393

* Next time, I’ll read the instructions and perhaps give Ada and Babbage a bit of prozac.

loddrik
    Free Member

Done. But where was the ‘how many times a day do you clean up cat sick’ question…

Boy did I hate doing my masters dissertation!

salmarie
    Free Member

Thank you Cranberry, the Bengal cat forum link is working 😀

ravingdave

done

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Done.

Surpised you did not ask how many cats in a household as if more than one you learn more about behaviour.

Some of the questions could be answered in more than one way (realise you have problems creating the form). For example, does a cat have awareness of doing wrong. Was tricky to answer as yes, sometimes they clearly know they are naughty, sometimes they show what best interprets as ‘guilt’ but it would be easy to interpret from the answer something like ‘all cats should know all the time if they have done something wrong and they are fully responsible and should be blamed’ or ‘If a cat knows the rules beforehand it makes a choice but sometimes it might not understand, so is not choosing to break rules intentionally’. Which box to tick?

You also ask about experience with cats – I have worked with many animal types and find awareness of one sort helps with awareness of others – so I do not have lifelong experience of cats, but consider my self to be fairly on the ball with much of their behaviour. Having more than one really helps human learning about them.

Can you post a reminder on Singletrack when your results are ready for reading as no way will I remember your e-address and the date, but would like to see the results. Thanks.

dan77
    Free Member

Done, all answers relate to this lump!

salmarie
    Free Member

Thank you all very much for your input. I will be sure to post a summary of the results in October, or before if I manage to finish writing up in time. It’s a really interesting exercise so far, but I can’t say more as that’d be giving the game away!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Gave up. It kept asking about litter trays. Why the hell would you have an animal crap in your house?

sprootlet
    Free Member

Done

unovolo
    Free Member

Done.
    One of ‘Loddriks’ cats appears to be rechargeable!

NormalMan

Great to see I’m not the only one who works for a Bengal cat then 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Completely off track! Masters survey for cat owners’ is closed to new replies.