Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Complete tablet novice needs some advice.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I have more or less been living under a rock, or at least avoiding the whole tablet/iPad revolution thing.

But due to my 1st gen iPod Touch becoming practically obsolete and my handy iPod nano full I was going to invest in a 64g Touch but after seeing a lot of 7″ tablets around I’m considering one of these instead.

My uses for one will be simple – music, movies, photos and web browsing and little bit of gaming, occasional useful app that I will know doubt come across but really music, movies and browsing will be top of my list.

I’m looking at the Nexus and the new Fire HD but they each have features that the other doesn’t seem to that I want.

For example, the Nexus seems to easily link up with iTunes which is what I want, but I’m not sure whether it will work with Lovefilm (Amazon company) which obviously the Fire does. Both of these features are fairly important to me as an example but will both have apps available that will allow me to use features such as iTunes, Lovefilm etc?

I’ve never used or taken any real notice of tablets so have no idea how user friendly they are. Any advice before I spend a couple of hundred quid (an iPad isn’t an option – too big, too expensive).

MrNutt
    Free Member

Give it a couple ofdays till the launch ofthe ipad mini?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’d considered that but if it’s going to be 300 quid plus then it’s more than I want to spend. I’m far from Anti-apple but don’t want to spend silly money on it. Although if it’s only a couple of days away from launch info then yeah, definitely worth holding fire.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m posting this from a 64gb playbook, its ok but has some annoying failings, checkerboard scrolling, occasional keylag, no ms silverlight so no netflix etc

If your looking for a (flash enabled) mobile web browser its not a bad punt for about £150

Oh and RIM are about to go tits up.

Cletus

I have a Playbook and like it but it does have some major functionality gaps – most annoying for me is the lack of a usable DLNA client. For the price of £129 the 64GB is a bargain if you accept it’s limitations.

In your place I would probably go for the Nexus as it is very open.

Airsync will allow you to sync your tablet with your iTunes library.

There is a Lovefilm app for Android.

The Fire is less open but should be able to do the same things (def Lovefilm as it is owned by Amazon).

If you need lots of storage you may want to check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7″

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-gt-p3110-7-0-tablet-pc-8-gb-white-14272574-pdt.html

The advantage of this over the Fire and Nexus is that it has a microSD card slot so you can get an additional 32GB and swap cards as needed.

I would be a bit dubious about using any 7″ tablet for music on the move though – maybe worth looking at the Samsung Note 2 “phablet” which is due out soon.

Cougar

There is a Lovefilm app for Android.

There is, but it doesn’t support movie streaming (yet), it’s just list management. It’s very good at what it does, but I’m guessing isn’t exactly what the OP was looking for.

CountZero

Hmmm, not wishing to upset your plans, but really you’re looking at two different devices here. A pad of whatever flavour you go for isn’t a practical portable player, even a 7″ one. A Touch or a Nano are neat, small pocketable devices, that can fit into a shirt or inside jacket pocket. That’s just not feasible with even a small pad. If you want to carry music around, then you need a small player, or an upgraded Touch. From what I gather, the new Touch that will be introduced very soon will still have 64Gb, and in my opinion looking around for a secondhand, or even better an Apple refurb Touch would give you greater flexibility.
    I have a Nano, an iPhone 4, iPad and an iPod Classic. The Classic is my favoured music carrier, I’m not satisfied with just 16Gb, the 112Gb I’m currently carrying is my entire music collection, the Nano is now largely redundant, and the phone only has around 1200 tracks on it, because of all the other crap it’s stuffed with.
    One possibility is a music player with SDHC card storage, that will play MP3/AAC files; 32Gb cards are now pretty cheap, around £30-50, so one of those with several playlists stored on different cards might be an alternative option, along with a pad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Complete tablet novice needs some advice.’ is closed to new replies.