Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Complete Bike Tool Kits
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

Currently I have a toolkit in the van which can fix almost anything but has been cobbled together over the years. I´m going to be running two vans for next year and want to buy another set of tools with a similar, “fix anything” capability, for the new van. I´m looking for something like the Park Tool Professional Travel/Event Kit but ideally a lot less expensive!

What do you reckon, is there a good deal on a complete box out there or am I best spending the time buying individually and get a decent tool box from somewhere?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably the second option, rarely had park stuff and thought “this is so much better than my other XXYYZZ”.

How much stuff do you need to fix from the van? The time’s I’ve had ride ending mechanicals it’s always been parts (cables, chains, mechs, shifters, brakes, chainring bolts) that I’ve needed, actualy fitting them is usualy just a multitool job.

doug_basqueMTB.com

thisisnotaspoon, cheers. I’ve got a mix of fat spanner and park tools already and both are good. We do a lot of trips through the Pyrenees and it can be far from a bike shop so anything can go. I normally take a spare bike and a few spares but still.

lfcfan
    Free Member

I ended up getting the birzman tool box from bikediscount.de worked out about £180 iirc, really pleased with it so far so maybe check that out

Ambrose

I’m a bit picky re: tools. If what you already have suits you well I’d suggest duplicating them rather than buying a whole tool-kit some of which you may not ever use/ need. Tool boxes needn’t be expensive either. I like the Stanley Fat Max boxes- they are rugged and quiet, a consideration to be made in the back of a van.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cool, good suggestions. I´m going to check out the birzman just now. Any more suggestions, pass them on.

glen815
    Free Member

I prefer the Pedros Bench in a Box kit over the Park Tools. If you know anyone in the US that is travelling to you then they are really cheap too.

Northwind

Shame the Lifeline kits aren’t available any more, they were bang on. Think I’d start with an Icetools or Bike Hand middle kit then add other tools to taste, these days.

For me Park’s been overpriced at best, ropey and overpriced at worst.

Scapegoat

I look at those complete toolkits and wonder when I’m going to need an octal ink bb socket, or a 1″ headset spanner. I have both of those things, but they are never used as I no longer have the bikes they were designed for. I have flat cone spanners, but no cone hubs.

If pushed I would suggest buying individual tools. I have a mix of Cyclo, Superstar and Fat Spanner, but seriously, I built the last two bikes using Allen keys, 3,4,5,&6mm, a Superstar HT2 socket with a 1/2″ drive ratchet, Torx bits in a 1/4 ” drive socket, a pair of chain pliers, some ordinary pliers and a rubber mallet. I struggle to think what will be in a £180 toolkit that I need over and above those tools. Unless you count chainsplitters and a couple of screwdrivers for adjusting mechs, but both of those are also in my trail pack. OK I also have seal picks, circlip pliers and sockets for fork servicing, and am in the process of making a bearing press, but will you need that sort of tool out on the trail? My advice would therefore be to replicate the basics, in single purchases. On One and Superstar have some good kit in their workshop sections.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Complete Bike Tool Kits’ is closed to new replies.