Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Competitive running advice: superlight racing-specific shoes
  • brooess
    Free Member

Before I get too old (37 this year!) I'm working on my PB for 10k. Ran a 40:18 today without any specific track training so feeling confident I can push this down further with some work (aiming for 37/38 mins). Thinking tho about throwing every advantage at the matter, is it worth investing in pair of lightweight racing shoes? I run in a decent pair of Asics (£70) at the moment, with superfeet in. They're not heavy but for track work and the race itself, can I gain much time from running in superlight shoes? And should I still use the superfeet in lightweight shoes? – they weigh more than standard insoles so wouldn't they just negate the weight-saving?

Cheers

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A mate of mine runs times around that or less in £30 trainers. I guess its to do with how fit you are?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Try inov-8.com, take a look at the f-lite 230's. Nice and light, very little cushioning but if your using insoles no probs there, if they fit your feet they are fantastic responsive shoes and are great on the road.

fubar
    Free Member

I'd say the benefit is more psychological than anything…train in heavy shoes then come race day you will (well might) 'feel' lighter. I'd be worried that I might be more likely to become injured in some of the race shoes so wouldn't bother (unless you are pushing nearer to 30 minutes!)

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon comfort would give you a bigger advantage over weight [within reason]

Blackhound

For 10k racing to half marathon I would say yes but wear sparingly and at your age(!) stretch more, particularly your achilles.

There is less cushioning under the heal and you can stretch here. You will as though you are flying!

Use training shoes for training and racing shoes for racing…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Competitive running advice: superlight racing-specific shoes’ is closed to new replies.