Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Competitive Level vs Equipment
  • Kryton57

Its obvious that we can over-equipe ourselves. For example, I want to buy this ex team bike, but at XCO Regional C top-ten level its way above my ability if equipment were on par with ability. My main reasoning is thats its very good for the money and my Anthem keeps clogging up with shite on muddy races. Or maybe I took the wrong bike as my Ti 26er could be used.

So, how does one gauge the two to find a balance? Or is it really, not about the bike…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think it’s fair to say everyone rides a bike that’s more capable that they are.

That one looks well good, but I thought 29ers were the weapon of choice for the xc rider?

Onzadog
    Free Member

You don’t justify it, you just spend it.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Wheels are too small.

That aside, if you can afford it and you like it, then buy it.

The majority of riders in Vets these days appear to be on carbon bikes with 1×11 – I think the only person perceiving you as being overequipped would be yourself.

maxtorque

Risk analysis:

You have a crap bike and loose: no problems, it’s the crap bike init
    You have a crap bike and won: HERO! you overcame the odds and won, you’re amazing

You have a brilliant bike and loose: You useless sack of s**t, all the gear no idea!
    You have a brilliant bike and won: Well of course, you’re expected to win on that amazing bike, even an idiot could win on that.

So on reflection, keep the crap bike…… 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

To be honest, if gauged on most trail centre car-parks, its not about the rider 😆

Comparision of xc bikes and ability levels are pretty irrelevant. Anyone could rde that bike, its not like some other sports where actually elite level equipment couldnt be used by a beginner.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is a very good deal. I’m quite tempted myself and I don’t even race XC.

philjunior
    Free Member

If you can comfortably afford it, buy it. I ride some fairly entry level stuff in races as I can’t really afford better currently and certainly (in the case of velodrome racing) can’t face destroying better in a crash and walking away.

This is compensated for by my love of many types of riding and consequent multiple bikes. I could have one really nice bike if I was only into one form of cycling.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    That is a very good deal. I’m quite tempted myself and I don’t even race XC.

See. But Mrs Kryton will have a fit as I’d still want to keep the anthem as a Trail bike and can’t sell the birthday gift Ti 26er…

That one looks well good, but I thought 29ers were the weapon of choice for the xc rider?

I was so mesmerised by the price, I didn’t notice the midget wheels… 😳

Anyway the point continues. Lets say I bought that, I’m unlikely to place any higher so logic means its a nice to have, so why are we drawn to a potential overspend vs ability?

amedias
    Free Member

Or is it really, not about the bike…

It’s really really not about the bike.

unless you are racing at National+ level and keep dropping into 2nd or 3rd place by a marginal amount every time, then just possibly the incremental gains of a better* bike might help you gain that place back.

For anything else it’s the motor that’s holding you back and a better bike is going to at best give you a psychological boost, and maybe, just maybe help you gain a place, maybe, if everything else goes according to plan and you don’t cockup a corner again on the last lap…

having said all that, nice bikes are nice, and if you like it and have the £ then why not, it’ll bring you some enjoyment even if not a better placing, and you are riding for enjoyment aren’t you? 😉

I race on a cheap carbon XC bike with piddly little 26 inch wheels, top 10 in masters placer (well ~15 in sport now… grrr) in local/regionals and my bike is still more capable than me 🙂

In summary ride what you like and stop thinking about what other people think of it, just don’t expect it to magically catapult you up the rankings

* assuming you’re not currently racing on something wildly inappropriate or unreliable.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Cause nice bikes are nice to ride?

mrblobby
    Free Member

potential overspend vs ability

We’re not pros, we’re just indulging a hobby, spend what you like (or can get away with!)

It’s like people who buy sporty cars, they do it (probably) because they like driving nice cars, they don’t do it because their driving ability has reached a level that justifies the purchase of a nice car.

P-Jay
    Free Member

So, how does one gauge the two to find a balance?

You don’t – yeah there are people out there who roam the trails and carparks making snide comments about this rider on this bike or more often what car / van transported it there… whatever.

An unavoidable truth is that that typically as you get older, you earn more money, but you get fatter and less fit – so yeah the young, super fit, super keen rider might end up with a older, lower spec bike than the 40 something, weekend warrior but that’s life.

These days there seems to be very few products sold “race only” delicate, expensive things with short lifespans designed to shave a few seconds and fall to bits as they cross the line, typically stuff just gets better the more you spend – how much you spend it up to you – XTR will be nicer than Deore, it will be lighter, faster ete, whether it has a tangible effort on performance for the average rider… who knows, but nice things are normally nice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so does this new XTC have any more tyre clearance than your anthem ? or will it just clog up the exact same as the anthem ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good lord, it comes with a warranty on the frame too. Please buy it before I do!

Kryton57

trail_rat, its the linkages that collect detritus and grass that is the issue. If I’d have taken my Ti 26er last night I’d have not had to stop (once, but even so) to clear it.

I could have course just plead acceptance and move on… 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

good price that, be a mug not to, will be faster than your anthem

Kryton57

I guess I could always sell it if she gets mad…

mrblobby
    Free Member

And you’d probably sell it at a profit.

Kryton57

Pft, I’m not convinced it’ll be a lot faster than my 26er in the mud, and I wouldn’t do 24hrs on it.

At the moment that looks like £100 a race over the season for a few seconds advantage.

We moved off the point though…

2tyred

Lets say I bought that, I’m unlikely to place any higher

How do you know unless you buy it? 🙂

Kryton57

Balls.

Its sold.

But lets move on, why do we do this? I do like MrBlobby’s analogy…

donkis2032
    Free Member

The best upgrade I made to my XC race bike was a decent set of wheels, made far more difference than any frame or fork I’ve had (and certainly groupset). A noticeable difference and one I’m sure gained me a few places. Sam off of Singular once said he’d rather have a £400 frame and £1000 wheels than the other way round and I’m very much inclined to agree

I personally wouldn’t buy that bike (not that you can now anyway) because its 27.5 and at my size (a perfect fit for that bike) I feel I’m faster on 29ers.

Would a more narrow set of tyres stop your frame clogging up. And does the benefit of additional comfort/traction not offset the occasional ‘bunging up’ of the Anthem frame?

You’d get a bloody lovely set of wheels for £1500…

hooli

Go on

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who cares, if you like it buy it (I know you can’t ‘cos it’s sold, but you get what I mean).

My bike is way more capable than me, personally I don’t give a rats ass

Rorschach
    Free Member

I got a jersey with stripes on it and a shiney medal riding a bike with no carbon anywhere on it,slx gears and it cost me about £800 total.
    Also I got better results on my £350 Planet X frame than I did previously on my £2.5k TCR Adv Sl.
    Make of that what you will.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also I got better results on my £350 Planet X frame than I did previously on my £2.5k TCR Adv Sl.
    Make of that what you will.

Probably subconsciously more willing to risk writing it off 😉

My bike is way more capable than me, personally I don’t give a rats ass

Does a bike really have a limited capability? I’m pretty sure that never mind how crap a bike is, if you put Sagan/Schurter/Gwinn on it they’d go considerably faster than me!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

OP, after putting the link up, you’d better get it bought ASAP, or face being gazumped 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Probably subconsciously more willing to risk writing it off

Nothing sub conscious about it!!Especially when you’re racing crits against others with really expensive bikes!!
    No gap too small,no corner too tight no cobble too rough.

wrecker
    Free Member

Riding bikes has eff all to do with “need”.

bensales
    Free Member

I race a ludicrously expensive bike at the back of the field.

I own that bike because it gives me pleasure to own it, and I don’t give a stuff what anyone else thinks about ‘all the gear…’. It’s my reward to myself for working my arse off and dedicating everything else in my life to my family.

Kryton57

Now I’m googling and can’t find a decent carbon 29er for circa £1500 with XT on, that can use my rear QR AC wheels. Looks like I’ll be forced to stay with the Anthem. 😐

There’s a Trek Superfly for 1450 but it’s below my Anthems spec and 142

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Anything vaguely decent and recent will have a bolt through rear axle.

Are your axle endcaps not swapable?

Kryton57

Era, maybe? American Classic Race 2015… I know the front is….

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I ride an Anthem 29 and must admit it will clog in deep mud!
    I also run an XTC 29 which is the main bike I race on.
    Perfect for muddy rides and races.
    Used it for Hell of the North Cotswolds and it was still spinning when others were clogged up.
    Don’t discount an alloy Giant XTC.
    Mine is alloy and was bought as a frameset a few years ago.
    It is an XL,built with Sram XO and Rockshox Sids.
    It is a 29er and q/r rear wheel too!
    It is sub 22lbs and a great race bike.
    Surely EBay would be worth a look for a cheap one?
    Max

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Here

nearly the £1500 plus it has QR rear end.

chakaping
    Free Member

You knew this was a “what new bike” thread all along, didn’t you Kryton?

Bolt through rear, but just smell the value (and good geometry)…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-rapide-29-hardtail-bike-2016/rp-prod135379

Kryton57

After about 4 posts yes it wouldn’t go away.

What about an Alu Dale fsi? The one with a lefty? Or is that kind of fools gold?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Competitive Level vs Equipment’ is closed to new replies.