Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • competency interviews
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Got an interview on Monday, and wondering what i should be preparing.

What sort of questions is it acceptable to ask, one of the biggest questions i have is about the level of micro-management but not sure if you can ask? or rather how to ask when, i suspect, the prospective boss will be the person interviewing.

How would people respond if i asked, if i had to make a decision in the absence of a manager that i felt was the right thing at the time but in retrospect was not the best solution how would the company respond.

jj55

just be yourself …………… there are no right or wrongs

Hohum
    Free Member

IMO your answer is fine as long as you analysed all of the options and made, in your opinion, the right decision based on the information presented to you.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

tron
    Free Member

Normally you can find some kind of competency framework on the website / job description, or take hints based on the role – sales will be strong on networking and persuasion skills, for example. Questions usually take the format of "Can you tell me about a time when XYZ". Usual things will be "dealt with conflict" "innovated" "worked in a team" "persuaded others". Wikijob is aimed at grads but is useful for this sort of thing. So is prospects.

All the books say to structure answers as STAR or some variant of – google it and it'll tell you all about it. Personally I find that difficult to bear in mind when I'm thinking, so I just blather on.

Sometimes you'll get a situational question, which is "What would you do in X situation", which you can't really prepare for, but are often guessable given the type of business you're going for – ie, skiving underling, angry customer etc.

If it's an organisation with less than 1000 employees, you can expect anything in the interview process. Completely off the wall questions, questions you would think are unrelated to the job, aptitude tests with no warning etc. Not trying to scare you, but I've seen it all 😆

If the interviewer is speaking more than you are, just do your best, look keen, lean forward etc.

Ultimately, when you ask them questions, you need to give them reasons to accept you, and avoid giving them reasons not to. If you want to find out about micromanagement, ask something like "What's the management style here" or "How often would I expect to meet with my manager" rather than ask a very direct question, which will probably give you away.

I certainly wouldn't ask your question about decision in the absence of managers – some people would take that as you being doubtful of your own judgement. Maybe ask what the procedure is if your manager is away, but not "What if I **** up?"…

john_l
    Free Member

What Tron said. And definitely don't ask your 2nd question.

johnners
    Free Member

tron's covered the interview bit very well. As far as your question goes, it should be covered in the detailed Terms of Reference for the post, which should lay out your authority and accountability. That will be the official word, and they're unlikely to tip you the wink about your future manager being a micro-managing dickwad at the interview.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘competency interviews’ is closed to new replies.