Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Compatability Confusion!
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m waiting for a nukeproof rear hub conversion kit to arrive

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Nuke-Proof-Conversion-Kit-QR-Rear_37343.htm

(I’ve been waiting 2 months now 🙄 )
    It’s to convert my NP Generator rear hub from 12mm to QR.
    Am I right in thinking that most rear QRs are 10mm?
    The conversion kit says it converts to 9mm QR though, which leaves me wandering whether the standard hope QR I’ve got will fit.

I wouldn’t normally worry about such a small detail, but I really wanna build the bike on Saturday, so I need to get a new QR sorted quickly if it won’t fit.

Thanks!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Bump

spuddle
    Free Member

The part you have ordered there will convert your hub to a 9mm quick release skewer like this not like your thinner hope skewer, if your frame wont accept the 12mm hub, there are various step down skewers you could have got instead that will fit in the 12mm axle but have thinner 10mm ends that would fit into your frame

06awjudd
    Free Member

Great, thanks, looks like I’ll need a new QR then 🙁

06awjudd
    Free Member

My Orange Five frame is designed for a standard QR, does that mean this 9mm QR may not fit?

toppers3933
    Free Member

edit.
    i know what i mean but im struggling to explain it.
    a standard QR will fit that axle adapter you have ordered.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Okay, I think I may now be more confused then when I orginally asked the question.
    It would make sense for a standard QR to fit, as I don’t understand why NP would make a hub converter that only fits with really obscure skewers?
    Also toppers standard QR’s are not 9mm.
    Maybe its the axle that’s 9mm and a standard QR fits inside? That would make sense.

spuddle
    Free Member

It wont fit, a hope skewer is about 5mm, the part he has ordered is basiclly a tube with 12mm outside diameter and 9mm inside, I know because I have researched into doing the same thing a while back with my Nukeproof hub

06awjudd
    Free Member

toppers could you try please? 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

Maybe its the axle that’s 9mm and a standard QR fits inside? That would make sense.

this.
    on the front anyway. front axles are usually 9 or 9.5mm. rear are usually 9.5 or 10mm. the skewer is indeed roughly 5mm.

and that np axle is to convert a 12mm hub to take a standard 5mm skewer like shimano and hope.
    the centre section is 12mm, the 2 narrower sections at each end are to fit a standard dropout and you can see the hole through the centre which will take a standard QR.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Okay, thanks, that would make sense, but where does the 9mm come into it?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Spuddle, did you actually buy one in the end?

toppers3933
    Free Member

it refers to the axle/dropout size, although that would actually be 10mm on the rear.

10mm qr’s are exactly that, 10mm the hub fits flush to the inside of the drop out and the qr actually seats in the dropout rather than the hub axle. it is a compromise between a bolt through and a standard qr.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Okay I think (hope) that I understand now.

I think the outer diameter is 12mm, then the diameter at the edges (where it steps down) is 9mm, and I’m assuming (hoping) it has a 5mm diameter hole through the middle for a standard QR.
    The step down bit goes in the drop out and is 9mm wide.

That would make sense looking at the photo, and the standard QR just clamps this axle in place.

toppers3933
    Free Member

bingo.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Okay, I’ll just wait for it to arrive, and cross my fingers in the meantime.

spuddle
    Free Member

all you really needed to buy was this or this personally id not trust putting a 5mm skewer into a 9mm hole.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Yes Spuddle, in hindsight that would have been a good idea, but I had no idea those step down axles existed 2 months ago when I ordered the kit.
    I just hope the kit works as I think it should – if not 😈

06awjudd
    Free Member

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s a 5mm hole, I’ll let you know after it has arrived.

spuddle
    Free Member

Or even if you wanted to, id have swapped my QR axle for your 12mm one!

toppers3933
    Free Member

the np axle is exactly the same thing as the axle in spuddles second link, just made by np not ringle.

10mm qr’s are exactly that, 10mm the hub fits flush to the inside of the drop out and the qr actually seats in the dropout rather than the hub axle. it is a compromise between a bolt through and a standard qr.

the first link is essentially this, but for a 12mm bolt through hub.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I don’t have a 12mm one

06awjudd
    Free Member

toppers have you used one of these kits / know someone that has?

spuddle
    Free Member

“It’s to convert my NP Generator rear hub from 12mm to QR”

I meant swap the current 12mm axle actually inside your hub

toppers3933
    Free Member

i have seen them but never fitted one.
    if your frame has a standard qr style drop out then the axle you have ordered (if you can still get it) will convert a 12mm bolt through 135mm hub to fit your frame.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Sorted. thanks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Compatability Confusion!’ is closed to new replies.