Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Comparison of forks…
  • gontxonos
    Free Member

Hello, knowing the current catalog of forks, with which of these would you be?:

RockShox Lyrik RCT3
    FOX 36
    Öhlins RXF 36
    Cane Creek Helm
    ?MRP Ribbon
    BOS Deville

It would be for enduro.

Thanks!.

d3carbon
    Free Member

What travel?

Pike not on your shortlist?

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’d be a Manitou, looks a bit backward and often mistaken for a blubberous sea creature. Which would you be?

gontxonos
    Free Member

Travel: 160-170mm

I have not put the Pike because I have already put the Lyrik :).

poah
    Free Member

None, I’ve got a mattoc pro2 with an IRT chamber. If the helm was 1/2 the price it is I’d probably get the coil version.

Tracey

We are running a Lyrik and an Ohlins on 29er Enduros. The Ohlins feels a far better fork and was easier to set up. It’s alot of money though when you can pick up 29er boost Lyrik for less than £500 on Stifs eBay shop.
    Assuming they weren’t all snapped up yesterday

gontxonos
    Free Member

I think that the best forks are this 2:

Öhlins RXF 36
    Cane Creek Helm

I base my question on what fork would be the most complete and most customizable.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Don’t bike an Enduro.
    But what I see more and more on Enduros:

DUROLUX and AURON.

Durolux from year 2016 on – called SF16 – should be fantastic. Great easy repair and maintenance.
    Auron from 2018 on -called SF18 – has same damping technology as Durolux fork.

Auron is more Enduro, Durolux more Downhill (travel max 180 or 200 mkm?)
    Both sell for roughly 550 bucks in ‘sale’.

The SF 18 Auron was released a couple weeks ago.

gontxonos
    Free Member

I have also heard from people who run professionally that the current forks have too many adjustments that are not really necessary.

I thought that having more adjustments would be better…but hearing that left me with doubts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best and better are too subjective.
    With all the adjustments can you feel, understand and effectively tune the fork yourself? Or will you forever be calling the it would have been better with 2 clicks of…
    For some better is long term and serviceable at home etc.
    What’s your budget, how do you get on with your current fork, what’s lacking in it and where is it holding you back?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure if max travel on the Durolux is 180 or 200 mm

It’s 180 – see also a short review:

First Look: SR Suntour Durolux Fork

What made me wonder: the mountain bike teachers here around like the Durolux on their Enduros.
    Rugged, low cost, service not complex.

I have on my trail bike a RockShox and knew Suntour only from cheap bikes.

gontxonos
    Free Member

Currently I have the Lyrik RCT3 170mm – 2018.

I was like good by these 2 fork models, I think they are the most complete in terms of adjustments:

Öhlins RXF 36
    Cane Creek Helm

But, later they tell me what I mentioned before and they leave me with doubts:

I have also heard from people who run professionally that the current forks have too many adjustments that are not really necessary.

I thought that having more adjustments would be better…but hearing that left me with doubts.

Of the Durolux I have always heard good things the trut :).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So first up what’s wrong with the lyrics?

gontxonos
    Free Member

The Lyrik with the Shockwiz is a good combo :P.

Having the Lyrik, the change to an Ohlins or Cane Creek would be noticed a lot?.

chiefgrooveguru

I think a lot of it comes down to your weight, strength, speed and riding style, which will determine which has the best damping to suit you (without getting a custom tune). And you may prefer the stiffer chassis of the 36 (or some of the other heftier forks).

MRP Ribbon would be top of my list of shopping now.

gontxonos
    Free Member
    gontxonos
    Free Member

And between this forks, what is your election?:

Öhlins RXF 36
    Cane Creek Helm
    ?MRP Ribbon

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Aurons are great, I’ve got some on my bike. Buy some of those and spend the change on pop and crisps.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiWX_yYnwh0[/video]

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Suntour Aurons are great, I’ve got some on my bike. Buy some of those and spend the change on pop and crisps.

Don’t have an Auron nor an Durolux on my bikes.

But what I see on many downhill focused bikes and Enduros right now: Durolux and Auron.

philstone

I have a set of 17 Lyric RCT 3 and 36 RC2s…

I’ve just had the 36s sent to TFTuned for a Push tune and they are fantastic.

If I hadn’t have sent them then it would be an easy choice – the 36s are fine if you are a good hard fast racer that needs the support from big hits at the sacrifice of small bumps. If you aren’t them Lyrik everyday.

The point is that I doubt the majority of us need a race level fork like the 36 RC2 – we’re just not good enough to appreciate it!

stevied
    Free Member

If simple adjustment you want further no look than Yari Rockshox

mactheknife

MRP Ribbon without a doubt. Enough tune-ability to get what you want without needing a degree in astrophysics. I have the stage and its been absolutely faultless. The coil ribbon is next on my list depending on cash flow this winter.

I have absolutely no doubt the other forks you mention will do you fine. Also not wanting to sound like a complete internet w@nker but if you don’t really know what you want ie tuning and options then go for a simpler fork so you can increase your knowledge of how forks work and what all the adjustments actually do in the real world. Most people don’t and that includes me. I like what i like and so there. 🙂

BUT and there is also a but, if money was tight a Manitou mattoc would be next in line. Do not listen to what people tell you on the trails and make decisions based on that. That way lies financial ruin and madness 🙂 Not really but you know what i’m getting at.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What about a 2017 Marzocchi NCR350 Ti. 170mm of coil loveliness.

I happen to have a set for sale too 😉

stevied
    Free Member

OP, don’t you already have the Ohlins?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

http://dirtragmag.com/review-suntour-auron-pcs-rc2-fork/

Buy it
    -easy to service
    -negative spring fine tuning
    -upgrade from a skinnier trail fork

Skip it
    -need a firm lockout
    -only ride name brands
    -want a color other than black

Northwind

I don’t know how different the latest Pike is from last year’s model but I wasn’t that taken with it- it was fine, but it was never amazing and it took a fair amount of effort to get it to work decently. I came to it off a Lyrik coil and I was just never happy with it.

36 FIT replaced it (2016 model) and is easily the best air fork I’ve used. It was also super easy to set up which I really appreciate, I had the Pikes for a good 6 months of faffign but by the end of the first ride I had the 36s working better, and they’ve not needed much fannying about since. Very good.

qwerty
    Free Member

Go for the cheap & easy to service one, run it in, and then get it custom tuned?

andyrm
    Free Member

180mm 36 RC2 (the 2016 version) with MRP Ramp Control cartridge for seperate negative spring tuning. The 36 was good before, it’s now ridiculous.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with the Ohlins unless you are going with the RXF 36 coil, they really aren’t as sensitive as Lyriks or 36s – no matter how much you play around with the twin positive air chambers.

The 2018 36 is awesome even without the PUSH ACS-3 coil, anyone who tells you they are overdamped even when fully open is talking a massive load of steaming bollocks.

They have masses of chassis stability topped with great sensitivity, when you run the rebound fast they don’t feel bouncey in the deep stroke and stay high up in the travel in the sweet zone over braking bumps.

Best **** fork I’ve ever owned, I’m in agreement with MBR when they did the Lyrik vs 36 test – in that the RS forks bang through their travel quickly and whilst they feel plusher on individual or initial hits, they stiffen more during repeated square edged hits or braking bumps.

You should run them as an intermediate rider as well, if given the choice. You may be able to get the Lyriks feeling more open on the first few hits by running them wide open, but the chassis stability of the 36 simply adds more safety. Instead – get fitter and stronger.

I wouldn’t recommend spending 1400 quid on a fork, but my ACS-3 36’s have a LOT less stiction than my old mans air Lyriks – unless you want to get the most out of a set of 36s that you already own…then go for the coil upgrade. Thus I’d wager an MRP Coil Ribbon would be a good shout, if you want coil but don’t want the expense of a two stage spring (the MRP uses the ramp up of the natural pressure build up found in the stanchions, which isn’t much…doesn’t it – it doesn’t have a seperate closed air spring like the PUSH mod) and the 36 chassis and damper.

gontxonos
    Free Member

I currently have the Lyrik RCT3 2018 and my question is if I keep it with her or change to something better… it’s worth it?.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not worth it unless you have a specific issue in mind that you can rectify with an off the shelf fork, with that said there are plenty of good damper tunes like FAST and Push are currently working on the Lyrik version of the ACS3.

gontxonos
    Free Member

How would you improve the Lyrik, with the AWK?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, more seals to go wrong and it’s even more expensive than the PUSH ACS-3. If you’re happy to spend that kind of money on getting the best out of your fork, then the ACS-3 kit would be the best thing you could do for your fork. More so than the FAST damper kit that gives you separate HSC/LSC adjustments. Not only does it reduce friction considerably, improve midstroke support, the spring rate for the ending third of travel is totally independent of your main spring rate – you just can’t do that with tokens – either you get an increased springrate throughout the entire stroke or you drop pressures and reduce midstroke support.

If you’re going to **** about and spend good money on a fork – just do it properly and go with the PUSH coil kit – it’s going to give you the most instantly noticeable improvement and least amount of buyers remorse considering that and how well made it is.

Personally, I’d look at running the non oem blue SKF seals and….. if you can in a Lyrik…. overfilling Fox Gold oil in your lowers as well like Porter does with his 36’s, the stuff seems amazing.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Comparison of forks…’ is closed to new replies.