Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Comparing hardtail v full suss geometry (overthinking content)
  • enigmas
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a full suss to compliment my ragley blue pig and i’m struggling to compare the geometry. My 18″ blue pig has a reach of 409mm unsagged, which seems pretty short compared to large full sussers, which tend to have 430-450mm of reach.

However, a full sussers geometry tends to stay the same throughout it’s travel as both the rear and the front move, on a hardtail, with the bike effectively pivoting through the rear axle it makes less sense. I see many hardtail brands like cotic publish sagged geometry instead to show the geo in the actual riding position.

So my question is, is it better to use sagged geo when comparing hardtails to full sussers? and how do you work out the sagged reach? My blue pig has a 140mm fork which I run at 25% sag.

Any advice would be really appreciated as this is driving me crazy 😕

and no I can’t go test one as it’s seemingly impossible to get demo bikes :cry:(if you do know somewhere near bristol that’ll do demos of a banshee spitfire or lapierre spicy please let me know!)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Th front triangle is fixed, with the head tube and seat tube not moving independently from one another, so the reach on both HTs and full susses will be the same sagged or unagged. You’re overthinking, basically.

xiphon
    Free Member

If you’re standing up, with 25% sag, the distance between the bars and your thighs will reduce, as the shock compresses (the seat tube arches backwards).

The distance between the seat and the bars will remain constant – as the front end is fixed – but the saddle will move back/up/down/away from your thighs (which remain constant).

So I’d say yes, there is a difference.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Comparing hardtail v full suss geometry (overthinking content)’ is closed to new replies.