Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Comparing geometry on marathon/xc bikes
  • nickdavies

Following on from earlier thread to work out geo, comparing a kinesis ff29 and the new canyon exceed I’m trying to work out the differences in numbers bearing in mind I can’t demo the canyon.

Kinesis has a 625mm top tube compared to a 620mm top tube on the canyon, but putting all the geo numbers into a calculator gives the canyon 20mm more in reach, which I can’t quite work out, given they both have the same seat angle?

Can anyone in the know about this stuff tell me how the numbers translate into how the bike feels? I don’t want to go any shorter than the ff29 ideally a bit longer but I can’t work out where the extra reach comes from and if the bike will feel any longer. Canyon has a longer wheelbase and shorter chain stays, seat tube and head tube both 10mm lower.

On paper the extra bit of reach will let me drop 10mm off the stem length which combined with the slacker head angle will make things a bit more confidence inspiring descending without losing cockpit room but hopefully not losing any climbing ability – not sure if this is actually the case though?

Cheers 🙂

eshershore
    Free Member

if you can get stack and reach information on both bikes it will allow a proper comparison

nickdavies

Canyon quote stack 625 reach 441. Kinesis don’t quote reach or stack.

If I put the other measurements into the bike geo calculator then I get something a bit different,

Canyon stack 603 reach 454 kinesis stack 611 reach 422

Confusing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Comparing geometry on marathon/xc bikes’ is closed to new replies.