Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Company Chairman requests every body in my day off?
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok so our company chairman is in next week and HR have sent out an email saying he wants every body to attend the meeting on the Friday (even if it’s their usual day off) but I’ve booked off the Thurs afternoon and Friday plus the following Monday as part of my annual holidays)

Do I have to go?
    BTW it’s nothing to do with redundancies we are doing ok as a company.

I see it as I work for them and they don’t bloody own me so I’m off on a booked holiday and will not be attending. Thoughts anyone?? 🙂

Cougar

I’d be inclined to agree with you, TBH.

scotroutes

requests

is the operative word here

samuri
    Free Member

I’d say you should just take the day off but discuss with HR first explaining it’s a middle day in a longer holiday.
    Is it common for the chairman to do this? They don’t give talks that everyone has to be at unless it’s pretty important news to be honest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had one of these last week…. I was off for medical appointment. Made an effort to go along ( since i know current oil price is hurting industry wide)

It wad basically a well done guys your doing well…..

Slightly miffed at wasted fuel.

Depends on what your contract says.

I used to get called in weekends for no pay. Just phoned in sick and there wasn’t much they could do.

poly
    Free Member

Do I have to go?

Generally they will be able to cancel leave with “adequate notice”. They may be expected to compensate you for any costs you incur as a result.

Presumably you are not the finance director – in which case I’d not make any such assumptions! Doing OK, does not mean there won’t be any changes / reorganisation / restructuring / efficiency moves. It also doesn’t mean they might not relocate a huge part of the operation. If things are going really well, it might be an acquisition announcement (either of you or others) but of course long term either of those could result in some redundancies. Or it might be he wants to tell you all about the christmas bonus – and will divide it between those who turn up!

hora
    Free Member

‘Is everyone here?’

No Bob Miggins in IT took the day off.

Politics..

hilldodger
    Free Member

If I didn’t have anything planned for the whole day I’d just pop in for the meeting, unless you have a massive commute would only be an hour or so to juggle

rene59
    Free Member

Take your holiday. If it’s bad news you will hear about it on your return. If it’s good news then your hardly going to be missing out. What are they going to do to you for not being there? Nothing. Tell them prior to going on leave you have had a weekend away planned for some time and unfortunately cannot make the meeting.

theotherjonv

This time of year, maybe you aren’t the only one. Can you set up a conference call dial in, so you don’t spend commuter time / petrol money?

oldnpastit

Towards the end of my last job, after it had been officially announced that we were being shutdown, the worldwide VP of HR told everyone affected that there was an important meeting that they *had* to attend.

I duly attended at a very inconvenient time. Where she told us that we were being closed down, which we already knew. I think she just wanted to have the pleasure of telling us we were being kicked out herself.

I think she’s retired now though. I think her stock options did very nicely thankyou very much.

Northwind

I would email them with minimal information, “I’m afraid I will be unable to attend due to a prior commitment.” If they ask what it is, “personal matter”. Most people won’t push past that, if they do, there’s either good reason or they’re robots. And if they do push, you can push back, ask for more info.

geoffj

Take your holiday. If it’s bad news you will hear about it on your return. If it’s good news then your hardly going to be missing out. What are they going to do to you for not being there? Nothing. Tell them prior to going on leave you have had a weekend away planned for some time and unfortunately cannot make the meeting.

This

Northwind

I bet he’s going to declare war on something

slowoldman

It’s not your “usual day off”. You’re away on holiday.

Of course you’re going to miss out on all that Christmas cash he’s going to give to everyone who does attend.

project
    Free Member

Two people i know had the must attend memos, one was going on a course paid for by company and another had to travel 200 miles to main works/office.Both told to attend no matter what.

Both when they got there at different locations where met by a faceless senior manager, who thanked them for their time at the company, handed them a letter saying they where being made redundant immediately, and a box, to leave their mobile phone, works pass and laptop in along with company car keys.

They where told they would be paid for next 90 days and not to enter any workplace assosiated with the company, and given a rail warrant for the journey home.

One company was a major bank and the other a cereal maker amongst other stuff it produced.

Not a nice way to treat peeps but it happens quite frequently.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Last time that happen end to me, it was to announce redundancies..
    It was great timing..

bencooper
    Free Member

I bet he’s going to declare war on something

Geek 😀

badllama
    Free Member

Lol some good info here guys ill email hr i doubt very much any nightshift will bother any way so ill be in good company B)

eltonerino
    Free Member

A couple of years ago, this happened to me. It was “redundancies”. Saying that, only people the upper management didn’t like went. There were more useless who people stayed and within 3 months all of the decent folk left (after waiting for the bonus/bribe that was promissed).

All done over Christmas and New Year just to spoil it for everyone.

Cougar

A) How much notice are you required to give for holiday requests?

B) How much notice have you been given for the meeting?

If B < A, tell them to shove it as they’re not honouring their own polices.

ourmaninthenorth

1. Business is being bought
    2. Restructuring (ie redundancies)

HR aren’t all spawn of the devil. Just speak to your local contact and explain that you’re due to be away. You’ll soon gauge the importance by what they do or don’t say.

project
    Free Member

Could be Farage visiting as part of his bbc inspired media campaign.They wantr a crowd scene.

EVeryone take a day off

cheers_drive

I was told it was important that I dial in to a conference call which clashed with the first day of my holiday last year. I wish I hadn’t as it kind of spoilt the holiday after I was made redundant 🙁 I think they had to insist I dial in for some legal reason.
    OP – I hope your situation is different but I wouldn’t cancel any plans, what if you were sick a couldn’t make it anyway?

stewartc
    Free Member

Is the meeting being held in the car park where everyone will be safely out of the building?

konabunny
    Free Member

asking for a conference call dial in seems reasonable

bigrich

make sure you send apologies, and then bugger off on hols.

Jolsa

So what happened?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he did not turn up and the chairman ordered a hit?

Turn up on your day off when you have booked holidays

Not a chance i would do that tbh.

badllama
    Free Member

Well just to report back they layed off 6 people, I’m not one of them MD rang me personally last night to tell me 2 out of our department have gone including my boss.

Shows how wrong you can be! Department of 5 gets two laid off including the boss **** knows how we will run it now 🙄

curvature
    Free Member

Probably a lot more efficiently.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Department of 5 gets two laid off including the boss

I bet the Christmas party’s going to be fun this year.

chakaping
    Free Member

curvature – Member

Probably a lot more efficiently.

You’re a barrel of laughs aren’t you.

slowoldman

Just why the **** do they do this sort of thing just before Christmas? To rub it in? ***s.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Probably because of year end financials and having fewer people to share the bonus pool amongst?

Glad you are ok?

allthepies
    Free Member

Our firm are doing a voluntary redundancy thing currently. I’ve applied for it, will find out in early January if I’ve been “accepted”.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was told this time last year I’d be made redundant, mostly happens in December it seems. Place I’ve just finished contracting at has announced redundancies – closing an entire office with some offered relocation but some people with vast amounts of knowledge specific to the company are going. They’re bringing in Accenture and and Indian company to replace. Good luck with that.

AdamW
    Free Member

My firm is also getting rid of 500 staff by the end of February, voluntary people go end of January, the rest via compulsory end of Feb.

Last year they did the same, saying 1200 to go. The send out the basic message just before Christmas but won’t give any more details until after. Bar stewards, playing about with people’s lives like that. 🙁

rickmeister

It’s usually Xmas notice for redundancies, leaving the statutory three months to end of March so the slate is clean for the new financial year start April….

Xmas is a minor inconvenience in the timeline.

So the notices of at risk go out and hopefully decisions made before Xmas, or its hanging over you until January …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Company Chairman requests every body in my day off?’ is closed to new replies.