Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Company car time.
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Suggestions for a company car where the limits are:
    VW
    BMW
    Mercedes
    Audi
    120kg/m Co2
    There is a £500 per month limit on the lease, 35k per year driving over 4 years.
    I’m pretty sure it’ll be a 320d M sport, but happy to look at other options.

Have Mercedes improved quality issues?
    We already have a practical family car, so this is purely for me and (almost) purely for business.

tonyg2003

The new C class is a pretty nice place to sit. I’ve had a couple when my car has gone in for service. I’d probably look at one as an option since they are now pretty well built.

As this is STW – Skoda?

What about the Jag XE? Does that fit your criteria?

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got a new C class estate. Quality is fine, comfort is not. It’s the most uncomfortable car I’ve ever had. Steering wheel is off-centre from the seat, seat bolsters have plastic frames in them that dig into your hips, if you’re tall the panoramic roof removes all spare headroom. Software in the COMAND infotainment system is shit, sat nav painful to use.

It’s also very small. Two kids in car seats and they’re kicking the back of the front seats with ease.

I should have got a BMW 5 series or another XF.

Cougar

<cough>Mondeo</cough>

bigG
    Free Member

It would be helpful if you gave us an idea of size of car, model etc,,,

As a general rule I’d say

No to –

Audi A4 – small, not very comfy, limited standard equipment, harsh ride on Sline

BMW 3 series – pedal box offset did my head in and made it uncomfortable over long distance, limited standard equipment. + every wannabe low level salesman in the country have one and drive like idiots

Yes to –

Merc C220, mercedes seem to have their design team really well sorted out.

VW Passat (new ones on MQB platform are huge inside, super comfy and very refined

VW Golf GTD (if you want some fun and plenty of MPG)

BMW 5 series, very very capable and not quite as “aspiring regional manager” as the 3 series

However as this is a thread about cars someone will be along shortly to completely disagree with me on all of this.

One thing you have to do is take advantage of the extended test drives that you usually get from the lease company.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Why worry about quality if you are not responsible for repair costs? To be honest the lease costs pretty much take into account any issues above and beyond the warranty so just pick something you fancy.

My cocar is an Audi A4 which is perfectly fine, but I would probably go for a 3 series or a C class next time given your list. Although I do love the style of the Passat CC…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

As this is STW – Skoda?

What about the Jag XE? Does that fit your criteria?
    Afraid not, just the four German marques mentioned, space isn’t an issue either as we already have a family car for that.

Why worry about quality if you are not responsible for repair costs?

Down time and inconvenience.

drlex
    Free Member

I went with the hybrid Golf option (GTE) on BiK tax basis and the positive review of another owner. Arrives March, so can’t offer own experience yet.

m0rk
    Free Member

GTE if you’re driving is short enough trips… If it’s over the 35 mile charge, you’ll only be reimbursed at 1.4L mileage rates, which is naff all

GTD though… gets my vote… Infact I’m just changing jobs so I’m on the Arval site now to change from my Qashqai (which is also nice)

Jason
    Free Member

I went for an Audi A5 Sportback rather than the default 3 series option. Happy with my choice.

mrmoofo

BMW 5 series with a 2.0 let engine won’t be over exciting and is the bottom end of the pile . I have had 2 5 series – but you want the 6 cylinder engine. ….
    I now have a 3 series 3.0 m sport. Great car except for the infotainment
    Merc – you need to be 60 or a German taxi driver. Uninspired comfy barges for people who want to be respected at the golf club.
    Audi – my 3.0 Quattro avant was a thing of beauty , sleek, elegant … And about the dullest thing I have driven. No driver feedback, handled like a stranded whale and the Quattro was surprisingly unassuming. It was quick in a straight line though. And the infotainment was great.
    Passat – ersatz Audi A4. VW desperately trying to take it up market with the CC but will always been seen as the farmers / sensible estate car of choice.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a 320d msport touring as a company car, to be honest it’s great.

Standard equipment is everything you’ll need, especially if you go for the professional media build. The one thing I did was change the wheels for the graphite ones over the silver as they look a whole load better with a estoril blue car.

I drove well over 300 miles in it yesterday and another 200 today and I’ve no complaints over those distances.

It’s good round town and the ability to switch from comfort mode to sport makes sure it’s comfortable for pootling and equally so for a bit of a more sprightly drive.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

That budget will get u a 330d… or a 420d… or a4 sline ultra.

Or non german my lexus is300h. Why the german marques only?

Its the same budget as me and thats whats i choose out of almost any car

chainslapp
    Free Member

Ive had a Golf GTD as a company car since Sept last year. low emissions, good economy, great fun to drive and subtle to look at too.

LLOYDSTEVENS
    Free Member

Fast and Fun = BMW 125d
    Fast and practical = BMW 420d Gran Coupe folding seats+ hatch back + good looking car
    Different and nice quality= Infinity Q30
    Good on Tax = Merc C250E
    BMW 5 Series have very good support at the moment as does the Audi A6 Black edition (19″ wheels option to ease the ride)

Scamper
    Free Member

When reading reviews make sure you are looking at the latest models – isn’t there a new A4 and 3 series just out?

wrecker
    Free Member

Merc C250E

It’s a 350E and Merc have reduced the amount of grant (early and without warning) they’ll take for one so the leases are now £££££££££££££££££££££
    The BMW 330E is still affordable, but saloon only (with a reduced boot due to gubbins).
    The 320d Gran turismo is a very nice car. As much boot as a touring and the rear leg space is awesome! I really like them.
    There are some amazing offers on 5 series’ as the shape is changing soon.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a 320d automatic estate and for virtually everything I do is great. It handles well, it carries bikes well, the family are all comfortable. The boot has a larger capacity than the current focus estate but it’s a slightly awkward shape so it holds less suitcases so isn’t amazing on the way to the airport, but it’s fine when your driving to your destination and can wedge things in small spaces.

It’s not fast but it’s fast enough. Ideally I would have the 335i but I do too many miles for that so I think my next will be a 330d.

A mate has a 435i and it’s a perfectly big and practical enough car if you don’t need to carry a family around. The 4 series is probably better for a cyclist than a 3 series saloon as the rear seats fold in the 4 as standard but they don’t in the 3 unless you tick the option or get the estate.

If you go for a BMW make sure you have the auto. It’s brilliant! I don’t find the pedals offset like a poster above so maybe that’s the manual?

wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever you choose, don’t forget duedil;
    http://comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/taxcalc/
    Co car tax is being HIKED in the next few years so check it!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Have exactly the same budget and criteria as you. Moved from an A4 diesel to a new Passatt GT D two weeks ago, loaded the Passatt with options.

Just clocked the fist 1000 miles in it today, its quieter, comfier and drives better than the A4. The radar cruise control with DSG is amazing. Drove back from Bristol to Bolton today and only touched the brake and acc pedal to stop at the services for a slash!

Ben_H

Volvo S/V60 D4.

northernmatt

Someone suggested 420d GranSport which Is effectively a 4-door version of a 2-door version of a 4-door car, which I just don’t get.

If it doesn’t need to be entirely practical could you wangle a 420d coupe? Nice looking piece of machinery those.

I_Ache
    Free Member

430d would be better if you can stomach the company car tax.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

£ 2,750 A month company car tax if you have a Lambo Huracan !!

br
    Free Member

I’d go for the cheapest (tax and cash-back) car that ticks the boxes you want.

When I last did this exercise, while my ‘default’ car was a 530i I actually ended up with a petrol Vectra auto – and was nearly £100 net per week better off, once I’d factored in tax savings and car allowance (spend less on the lease and get it back).

Did 70k in 2 years with nothing but services and tyres – and paid the school fees 🙂

Since then I’ve always had my own car, but don’t need to do the mileage you do.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Interesting that the 5 series was thrown into the mix but the 118d wasn’t. I think the Golf is going to be a little small for longer journeys (it’s 200 miles to the office)
    For tax and enviro reasons I’d probably jump at the 330e, we’ll see how that goes. Probably at the original thought of the 320d, or a 420d, or an A4 or perhaps an A5 coupe or a C220 or a………….. Aaaargh! 😀

wallop

I’ve got a 150bhp golf estate and I’m really happy with it. Comfortable, poky enough to be a fun drive and good gadgets on the dash. Not as lumbering as the new Passat (which is he-yuuuuge).

pictonroad

As above, watch your BIK because it’s going up and up to 2020 and diesel has a 3% surcharge still. It’s now at the point where our scheme which is contributory is more per month that I can get an equivalent car of my choice on personal hire. As I rarely use the car for anything other than work it’s becoming less a perk and more a burden.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would be very wary. At £500pm your tax bill could be very big in a few years time. How long is the lease and how long is your commute ?

I’ve just ordered a BMW 330e M Sport. Much cheapness due to hybrid tax status. Looking at comments above the Merc 350e isn’t the good value car it was perhaps but still worth looking if you can wait 6+ months for delivery

Surely £500pm will get you a very nice 5 series or 330d (bearing in mind tax implication)

wrecker
    Free Member

What lead time were you quoted for the 330e, funkydunc?

globalti
    Free Member

I was once given a BMW as a courtesy car and had to take it home and park it outside my house. The embarrassment is still etched on my memory.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I would be very wary. At £500pm your tax bill could be very big in a few years time. How long is the lease and how long is your commute

Much like the use of perk in a post up there, the car is an integral part of the job and not a perk or something for a commute. My commute is zero, customers, however, live all over the place. Perks and commutes are why company car tax is so high!!!!
    I also see the move being towards contribution based. Rant over.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wrecker – so far I have been told early June. I am awaiting the exact date.

Just read OP’s original mileage of 35k electric definitely not the way to go.

320 ED Sport will do bonkers mpg on motorway driving at 80ish I get about 65mpg in mine if I did 70 I imagine it would be about 70-75mpg. Plenty quick enough car too

wrecker
    Free Member

Perks and commutes are why company car tax is so high!!!!

Quite. Mine takes me MTBing, holidays, my commute is a big un too.

Wrecker – so far I have been told early June. I am awaiting the exact date.

Thanks, this suits me!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lexus CT200h Advance Plus?

If not, why not??

freeagent
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

If not, why not??

Because Lexus have all the charisma of a pot of Yoghurt, and a slight whiff of ‘golf club’ about them??

Not that I can really criticise – being the driver of a supremely dull but wonderfully Engineered company Passat..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Interesting that the 5 series was thrown into the mix but the 118d wasn’t.

Because one is a spacious car that you might want to do some miles in, the other is a tiny, tiny box that a veal calf might find ‘a bit cramped’

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

If not, why not??
    Is that the VW/Audi Lexus CT200h?
    Or the BMW Lexus CT200h?
    Or even the new Mercedes Lexus CT200h?
    The reason is in the OP.
    Thanks for all the other stuff, I’ll be setting up a couple of test drives to see which car offer the most comfortable cabin and best driving experience.

Cougar

Sorry for the tangent but, how are Lexus regarded these days?

I remember, perhaps incorrectly, that when they first appeared here they were supposed to be a proper luxury marque, is that still the case (was it ever?) or are they Just Another Car nowadays?

bails

They really are the Japanese Mercedes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Company car time.’ is closed to new replies.