Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Company Car – BMW 318dSE Touring ???
  • iainc

have narrowed it down to this, although I was wanting the A4 Avant -(

looks good on paper, just maybe a pity it's got that BMW badge..

anyone got one/driven one. Bikes will be on roof, so not too worried about the not very large boot

djglover
    Free Member

At least debadge it so we don't all laugh that you had to get the smallest engine in the range, revealing your lower middle-management browbeaten status

surfer
    Free Member

I drove one a while ago. I found it a bit small (I am 6ft so not huge)

The boot is small.

Are you sure you hate the badge?

Lots of other cars around offering more space and better value.
    I agree about the Audi though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

I quite liked the Volvo V50 R design, but too small inside and a lot less mpg. Maybe the BMW is so efficient as it doesn't need power in the indicators ? -)

djglover
    Free Member

V50 is terrible in the 2.0D guise, proper tractor engine. I had one for a year

iainc

V50 is terrible in the 2.0D guise, proper tractor engine. I had one for a year

I like you again now… -)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I've got a 320DSE Touring. Its a much better driving experience than the A4. There's no getting away from it rear wheel drive coupled to 50:50 weight distribution makes all the difference. Even with standard suspension and 16 inch wheels the 3 series will out handle an A4 S-line with sports suspension and ultra low profile tyres- I know I've driven a couple of A4s. The Audi's ride is also harsher. The engine is free revving and has a nice linear power delivery with no turbo lag. The 1.8 should be similar as its just a detuned version of the 2.0. Plenty of room inside (I'm 6ft) and will transport a family of 4 easily. My local BMW dealer is also very good. All the Audi has going for it is a slightly bigger boot.

What's your problem with the badge? As any Top Gear watcher knows all the cocks are driving Audis these days.

iainc

uponthedowns – thanks for that, useful info. I prefer the look of the Audi, but the lease prces were not doable. I dunno about the badge thing, never had a BMW before (currently a VW Golf), but very aware of the negative press they seem to attract. I had the option of a C Class estate, but seemed a bit cords and tweedy -)

br
    Free Member

Can you get an allowance instead, along with mileage money?

If so look at how much the company car is actually costing you – it will be more than you realise.

Or down grade, I was allowed a 5 series but took a Vectra instead – and was £400 (in my pocket) a month better off.

iainc

br – actually going the other way, been on an allowance for 5 yrs and going back into the Company scheme as not doing enough businesss miles – I have done the spreadsheet in detail and will be a fair bit better off.

The-Badger
    Free Member

i was forced to take a 3 series diesel estate in my last job, actually grew to really like it. fast enough, economical, enough space for bikes and family and no reliability problems.
    dont go for the sports suspension, too harsh and makes passengers travel sick, otherwise 8/10 (if you can get over the "look at the dick in the bmw" looks

davesmum
    Free Member

I'm currently driving a 318d saloon hire car, and I think it is a fantastic car. It isn't huge (neither is an A4 in all honesty), but there is plenty of space in the cabin – I'm 6'4 and the drivers seat isn't all the way back. The BMW interior may not be as flashy as an Audi, certainly in base trim level, but everything just works really well, and you can tell that the whole thing has been correctly thought out.

The driving position is great, the engine has plenty of torque, the 6 speed gearbox is good, the braking response is really nice, and the basic trim level I have got gives a good ride. I haven't driven an A4 for a while, but as a comparison to the A4's I have driven in the past, this is a much nicer car to drive. As a slightly off topic comparison, we have a few A3's at work, and they don't even begin to compare to a 1 series in terms of driving experience.

If you can get past the badge prejudice that people have with BMW's, then you will really grow to like a 3 series.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What daves mum said. Get over the badge thing – there's no getting away from it, they're lovely cars to drive.

"look at the dick in the bmw"

I thought it was "look at the dick in the Audi/Passat" these days isn't it?

At least debadge it so we don't all laugh that you had to get the smallest engine in the range, revealing your lower middle-management browbeaten status

Don't talk bollocks chap. When I see someone driving a debadged BMW which is obviously not a souped-up model, I think he or she is a pretentious tw4t. If they've displayed the 318d badge, I think fair dues, he/she's not paying much tax.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not go for a bigger equally just as good car, the Mondeo?

mboy
    Free Member

Had an E90 320D saloon as a company car a year or so ago, and it was a very good car. Bit crap for bikes being a saloon, but MUCH better to drive than anything else (including the Audi) in its class, very efficient and powerful engines and generally a step above the competition.

The Touring isn't the biggest estate in the world, but they're surprisingly more comodious than you'd expect to look at them. Still, no issues if bikes are gonna go on the roof anyway.

If you can, try and get a 320D rather than the 318D. Ok, I know it's gonna cost a few quid more in company car tax, but the 320D with 177bhp is actually a seriously rapid car. And not only that, still returns as good MPG nigh on as the 318D.

Whichever you get, make sure you get a manual gearbox as the auto's sap the fuel economy terribly. The 6 speed manual is a good gearbox, and long legged for cruising economy anyway… Speaking of which, you won't quite get the claimed economy figures, but I used to average about 45-46mpg in what was mostly quite "spirited" driving. If you're cruising on the motorway, expect the MPG to be well north of 50mpg. On one steady cruise at 70mph for 50 miles or so, with the wind behind, I averaged almost 70mpg for the journey!

Oh, and dunno if it helps, the BMW has a LOAD of room in the back for adults. Tall people fit in in comfort (better than my old 5 series), there's loads more room in the back than the Audi and pretty much anything else (maybe the new Mondeo rivals it)…

iainc

Why not go for a bigger equally just as good car, the Mondeo?

I actually did look at that option, and could just about have got one, but the lease figs on the BMW get you a lot more for the money. Don't know how they work it all out , but I think the resale value after 3 yrs when the lease expires has a big part to play. For example, the BMW is cheaper to lease that a well specced Passat estate

failedengineer

I've got one as a company car – I didn't choose it, I inherited it. Engine is gutless, gearbox and clutch are agricultural. Having said that, it's very comfy quiet and smooth (on standard wheels and tyres)and has incredible fuel economy – 55mpg easy – only drops below 50 when towing a 1 ton trailer. Handling is exceptional. Not a massive amount of room in the back. Very high quality interior and switchgear etc. If it were my own money there is no way I would fork out over £25,000 for one. A Mondeo is faster and just as smooth and quiet and hugely more spacious. Doesn't handle quite as well (FWD vs RWD)and isn't as high quality.
    However – I don't like having a German car – I just hate how everyone appears to aspire to owning a BM or an Audi. Given a choice I would choose a Mondeo or an X type or maybe one of those new Vauxhall Insignias (although I've never driven one) Just for the record, an Audi A4 is nowhere near as good dynamically as a Mondeo (IMHO).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just got an E90 320D touring – replaced a Passat TDi estate.

Handling is simply stunning. The only car I've ever driven that has anything hear the immediacy of a bike. Mine's an Msport on 17" wheels. Ride around town is stiff, but surprsingly non-crashy. Once up to speed, it's way better than the Passat – surfaces that the VW made a meal of, it just breezes over.

Power delivery is much further up the rev-range (feels more like a petrol), which makes it harder work crawling in traffic than I'm used to. That said it pulls all the way up to the redline unlike the passat which ran out of puff about 3k rpm.

It is smaller inside than the VW, but surprisingly useful. The seat squabs don't flip up, so the effective load bed is longer, and you have full access to the rear footwells for storage. Wheel arches are more intrusive, but the way I pack bikes, that's where the BB goes. The only real arse is that the gap between the boot floor and the parcel shelf is about 1/2" to low to put 2 bikes in stacked on top of each other with pedals on.

Not had it long enough to comment on fuel consumption yet, but so far, OK…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a E90 320D touring the 177bhp version, previous to that had an E46 320D Touring for 4 years. Tried equivalent Audi but the BMW is quiter and smoother to drive, also RWD gives a better driving experience.
    The fuel economy is still not great we average about 42mpg doing 20000 miles a year, but that is with bike racks on the roof.
    It is not a big car inside but neither is the A4, its great for towing I have a track car which it tows with ease.
    The 318D is a 2.0litre engine BTW.
    If you can hang off there is an Efficient Dynamics 320D coming out with an average combined 68mpg.
    Like JonEdwards says "Handling is simply stunning", we have a SAAB 93 Aero with 250bhp and the BMW will run circles round it.

Doug

Aristotle
    Free Member

If it's cheap, go for it, although they're only hatchback-sized.

The Audi does tend to ride very hard, and is made even worse when everyone insists on S-Line spec and big wheels…

On most cars, very BIG wheels and rock-hard suspension are over-rated (unless constantly on a smooth track).

Go for the standard setup and gain a bit of comfort, suppleness and point-to-point speed, if that's what you want.

-m-
    Free Member

The only car I've ever driven that has anything near the immediacy of a bike

?

The beneficial lease deal on the 3-series is likely to be thanks to BMW UK doing good deals on the cars to fleets/leasing companies currently – may simply mean they're trying to shift stock/volume.

The Audi does tend to ride very hard, and is made even worse when everyone insists on S-Line spec and big wheels… The other thing to note about it is that the current A4 has nowhere to stick your left foot due to intrusion on the LHS of the footwell. If you have big feet this is a real pain. To me the interior isn't as good as previous versions either.

I always find the 3-series feels a bit tight/claustrophobic in the front, but I can't offer any experience of the particular engine or the estate.

Ultimately, if you get a good deal and it's big enough inside then go for it – don't worry about the badge.

Aristotle
    Free Member

we have a SAAB 93 Aero with 250bhp and the BMW will run circles round it.

That's not much of a comparison though is it? Wheelspin and under-steer are a Saab speciality.

iainc

lots of good feedback, seems like :

well made
    good to drive (apart from clutch and gearbox)
    good economy
    not very gutsy
    a bit small inside (but I will have bikes on roof anyway)
    image problem

not as good as a mondeo

so far i think I will be sticking with my choice…..

Aristotle
    Free Member

The only car I've ever driven that has anything hear the immediacy of a bike

So, it has poor traction and you have to be very careful in the wet and over tram tracks?

Can you get the door handles down?

I really like the idea of the BMW diesel engines as they seem to offer decent performance and fuel economy.

Unfortunately, there isn't a model in the BMW range that I like as much as the Audi TT, VW Golf or VW Scirocco.

iainc

Mike – know what you mean. I am going from a Golf GTi to the diesel BMW !! – a lot less fun but hopefully almost half the fuel costs…

What about the Golf GTD, Iain. If you don't need to put the bikes inside, it's not much less practical than the BMW Tourer, has slightly better performance and similar fuel consumption.

iainc

Mike- I had looked at that, but the Golf is a bit of a squeeze with our 2 kids in and weekend kit, and I like the idea of a car with roof rails. I am also keen to use the maximum lease allowance, which lets me get a 'more expensive' car without a massive tax penalty.

It would also feel a bit crap going from the GTi to a GTD -)

cheers

thesurfbus
    Free Member

"we have a SAAB 93 Aero with 250bhp and the BMW will run circles round it."

"That's not much of a comparison though is it? Wheelspin and under-steer are a Saab speciality."

I know its not a direct comparison, but I am comparing a top of the range FWD SAAB, with a bottom of the range RWD BMW.

iainc

should have added earlier…..anyone wanna buy my Golf ? 😛

Aristotle
    Free Member

I know its not a direct comparison, but I am comparing a top of the range FWD SAAB, with a bottom of the range RWD BMW.

A bottom of the range Fiesta would handle better than the Saab.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The 320D certainly isn't lacking in guts- quite the opposite but then it has 34 bhp more than the 318 which might explain the lack of guts comment. No way you can manage a 320 instead of the 318?

Agree the gearbox is a bit agricultural but the brakes have superb feel and bags of power.

iainc

No way you can manage a 320 instead of the 318

I asked, but an extra £20 a month takes it out of my 'allowed range'…

robbo1234biking

iainc – I assume you are paying company car tax on it – how accurate are the figures on the BMW website? I was looking at one and like you with the allowance it seems a great deal to be paying £67 a month in tax for the car!

mboy
    Free Member

ots of good feedback, seems like :

well made
    good to drive (apart from clutch and gearbox)
    good economy
    not very gutsy
    a bit small inside (but I will have bikes on roof anyway)
    image problem

Good to drive including the clutch and gearbox IMO. I like a fairly firm clutch in a car though, hate the namby pamby "17 year old girl" spec clutches that come fitted to just about every modern car these days where you breathe heavily and the clutch depresses! Gearbox is firm and positive. You can't be lazy with the shifts for sure, otherwise it will snatch, but if you are firm and make sure the shifts go home each time (as you should) it's a good box.

Economy is great on the motorway, less so if you do a lot of back lane driving. Gearbox is very long legged, and engine mapped for power under acceleration yet easy cruising. Hence if you do a lot of back lane driving you won't be in 5th/6th gear much, and you'll be using a lot more fuel! But on the motorway cruising at sensible speeds expect good economy (though the engines do take a while to loosen up).

318d isn't the gutsiest, but 143bhp is still a fair bit more than most in this class. If you can afford the extra £20 a month or whatever it would be, go for a 320D instead though… They REALLY shift…

They're not that small inside… Sure, not a Tardis like a Passat or Mondeo, but usefully bigger than an A4.

Image Problem? Not any more… All the cocks aspiring to be the "next best thing" drive A4's these days… Do you not watch Top Gear? 😉 Seriously though, it's true… BMW used to have an image problem, but most of those people who caused it drive Audi's these days… Spend a day on a motorway (christ how awful!) and count the number of people driving like a cock in an Audi Vs those driving like a cock in a BMW… They're all in S-Line spec Audi's with their big wheels, trust me!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Iain try approaching your BMW dealer and asking for a discount on the purchase price to bring the lease payments down by £20. I did that and got a larger discount than the one the lease company my employer uses had negotiated (5% increased to 10%).

iainc

all sounding good 😆

robbo – the tax fig on it is £1910 pa – nothing like the £67 a month !

robbo1234biking

http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwcorporate/sales/commercial/tax_calculator/0,,1212___,00.html?selPage=1&calc=2

I got my figures of here – where did you get your from?

iainc

robbo – I got mine from WhatCar, and they were confirmed by the leasing company ;

BMW 3 Series Touring 318d SE 5dr
    Target Price: £24,517
    Price: £26,695
    What Car? overall rating
    4 out of 5 stars
    Do you own or have you driven this car? Let us know what you think – click here
    2008/2009 2009/2010
    Percentage charge 18% 18%
    Benefit in kind £4,774 £4,774
    Tax payable at 20% £955 £955
    Tax payable at 40% £1,910 £1,910

* Calculations based on taxable value of £26,525 and CO2 emissions of 125g/km

robbo1234biking

Ah thats the difference I dont pay the 40% tax rate I dont earn enough lol!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Company Car – BMW 318dSE Touring ???’ is closed to new replies.