Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • compact clear map case that I can attach to bars…
  • iainc

needing something a little bit more robust than map in a polysleeve in my chest pocket for upcoming MBLA assessment, any decent cheap ones out there that aren’t bulky ?

Bruce

You need any old map case and one of these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessoriesmaps-navigation-holders/polaris-maptrap-map-holder/

or a stick and some stout elastic bands. Put the stick on top of the map in map case and loop elastic bands under the stem and then round the other end of the stick

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or get with the times and use your phone on the bars with viewranger/OSapp/BCN……

Used Viewranger on my S7 at the weekend in the south Lakes to navigate a route Lowey from this parish had given last week, absolutely superb app.

scotroutes

It’s frankly unbelievable that in 2017 you’re expected to ride around with a paper map attached to your bars.

In a similar vein, the Expedition module taught at Glenmore Lodge involves BOB trailers.

iainc

yep, MBLA assessment needs demonstrated navigation to within 100m at all times using paper maps, route cards or similar and old school compass…

Trekster

http://www.mintcakemtb.talktalk.net/bikingarticles/mapboards.html

Map Boards

http://mtbo.com.au/documents/AustralianOrienteerMapboardReview.pdf

Made my own from an old fire blanket holder
    Some student/office folders are made from a tough plastic

welshfarmer

Easy enough to make your own. At our MTB Orienteering events you will see all sorts, from £60 bought examples through to home made ones costing a couple of quid. An old square numberplate or a vinyl floor tile, some clear perspex and a couple of bike reflector brackets or cable ties is all you need to know up a basic one.

google “DIY MTB map board” for some ideas

iainc

some great ideas and links, thanks

mark90
    Free Member

Mine is an old map case with a half sized board inside. Bracket attached through the case to the board. With the board being half sized the map case can be folded in two, and held with velcro tabs. Means while riding the map is less intrusive and less of a sail. Easy to open the map to check directions when you stop. Maybe not be ideal if you need constant visibility of the map, I tend to memorise the next section ahead, besides I fall of if I try to read a map while riding. Have used the same set up on trail (motor) bike, quad and MTB.

thenorthwind

I’ve got one of the DIY ones for MTB orienteering welshfarmer mentioned. Piece of foamboard with some bits of thin bungee cord and a plastic pipe clamp thing to attach it to the bars with a cable tie. You can borrow it if you want?

iainc

Very kind offer, thanks. Think I will cobble one together though, cheers

thenorthwind

No worries!

lustyd
    Free Member

Out of interest how do you keep track of distance? Not being awkward just curious if you’re not using any computers how you track position. Are older non GPS computers allowed?

iainc

Lusty, yes, can use likes of a Garmin to measure distance, or an old school cateye job. I’ll be using Garmin 500 and pressing lap button every map check to count distance to next one.

All a bit archaic….but I guess the point is map reading skill.

lustyd
    Free Member

lol I was hoping for something clever but irony is always nice too 🙂 I’m still curious what the plan was before bike computers, surely if electronics are so bad from an assessment perspective there must be a way. I have the same issue with sailing, only there instead of accepting that the 7satelite devices on board won’t all fail at once we have to accept that a wristwatch won’t break and that the paper almanac won’t get wet which is required for using a sextant!
    Madness, but very British madness 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘compact clear map case that I can attach to bars…’ is closed to new replies.