Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Compact camera usb rechargable recomendation?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Asked else where and got useless info and suggestions of carrying a bag of aa batteries…. For 4 weeks in rwanda.

Anyone on here got a decent compact camera that charges from mini or micro usb ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Olympus Tough in whatever version your budget will allow.

cvilla

Or Panasonic lumix from tz35, pretty sure they all have USB from that point on, check for deals in your budget.

scotroutes

Oh well, I won’t suggest the TZ40 again as it was a rubbish suggestion.

My daughter has a Sony (HX200?) that also charges via USB

DrJ

Default response – Sony RX100 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha colin yours was the only decent suggestion

How ever i like to have more than one option.

Really liking the look of that tough range though flashy. Looking at our current exlim i think it wouldnt be a bad shout !

Going to pop into john lewis this afternoon once the football and baker hughes has subsided.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The other reason for the Tough range is that they’re, erm, tough. Near bombproof. Very useful in less than hospitable locations!

Kahurangi

In typical fashion I’m not going to answer your question directly.

When in a similar situation I bought a replacement charger (which takes a 5V micro USB input) and a handful of batteries.

dovebiker

Sony DSC TX30 models are water resistant to 3m and have sliding lens cover – very robust and really good for simply stuffing in your pocket, regardless of conditions. Mine survived 38.5hours of Arctic winter racing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

got useless info and suggestions of carrying a bag of aa batteries

You want a bag of li-ion batteries. Over 300 shots per battery for the rx100. A very small bag should do it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Loose liions on a plane. That will be fun to explain.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any hoo olympus and fujifilm tough cams look just the ticket. I like the olympus mrs tr likes the fuji – i suspect its the price she prefers

jonwe
    Free Member

Rx100 mk 1. No need for anything else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Asside from its a premium ( with price to match – googled at over 300 quid )pro grade compact with a whole bunch of shit my wife has no interest in.

Something she will have to try hard to brake holds great value to me to save me having to fork out for another.

Our exilm is all smashed in on one side so the zoom rarely works as the sliders jammed.

stumpy01

Do those tough cams allow usb charging…?

I’ve got a normal Nikon compact and a tough Nikon. They use the same battery, but the tough one came with a charger and no usb charge option, whereas the normal compact allows in-camera usb charging and didn’t come with a separate charging block, just a usb cable.
    I guess it’s because of the vulnerability of a usb port on a tough camera…?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Been reDing review it has a propriatory cable but it charges from a usb input.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do those tough cams allow usb charging…?

Yep. My Tough charges directly from USB. Always worth checking and drying out the seals after a dunking. Some sample pics, to show the sort of images;

5thElefant
    Free Member

Loose liions on a plane. That will be fun to explain

You can carry 2 (each) plus one in the camera.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Which of the range is that flashy ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That gives her 2 sets.

Shes traveling alone.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TR, mine is the slightly older TG1, here;

It’s been around the world with me on my travels, ridden up and down mountains, thrashed trail centres, bimbled on local loops, been sailing and snorkelling in many an ocean, been skiing, and even more impressively, it’s survived my kids and their best efforts to destroy it.

Am very, very happy with it. Yes, it is a different USB cable, but easy enough to carry.

DrJ

For exotic travel do you really want a camera that you need to leave plugged in to a socket somewhere?

Alex

TG2 here. Lives on the outside of my camelbak so gets wet/gritty/muddy/etc. Been dropped, crashed on and dunked in the sea a few times. The front ring fell off somewhere on a very rocky trail in the Ardeche but it doesn’t seem to affect anything. Battery lasts for ages as well.

I’d like a TG3 for the wireless transfer but only when mine dies. Which – on current evidence – is never!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Assumibg she can find a socket,

Its to be charged via a usb power brick

DrJ

Aah. Ok. I was thinking it was to be left plugged in at guest house or whatever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Woo found some John Lewis vouchers from wedding gifts last year.

I think an Olympus tg4 is an appropriate way for us to spend em 🙂

Off to John Lewis this afternoon

xora

Another vote for Olympus Tough, damn things are pretty much indestructible :-). And charge from USB.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bought the tg4 in the end after finding a bunch of john lewis vouchers in the post rack left over from our wedding.

One minor thing – 265 quid for a camera and they dont give you a friggin lense cap- not a manual one nor an auto flappy one for the sake of 3 quid thats pish. – and to get one it costs 19.99 as you need to buy the lense adaptor to fit a lense cap.

xora

Thats because you don’t need one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

you don’t need one.

Correct.

A Lowepro Dashpoint pouch is a handy add on. Fits on most rucksack straps.

wildheart
    Free Member

Been looking at the TG4 myself.Folk seem to think a lens cap is not needed s the lens has a protective cover on it.
    Olympus also do these straps for attaching to Camelbaks etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what so special about this camera that the clear protective cover (which in its self i another lense ) cannot be scratched ?

GregMay
    Free Member

I will once again repeat – RX100

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gs2w1r]Summertime[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

Also does colour apparently…

grum
    Free Member

RX100 mk I is a ridiculously good camera for £200 and i charge it off a battery pack. Quality is far better than an entry level Nikon DSLR with kit lens I borrowed recently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how does the rx100 fair when it gets wet ? 😉

ive already bought the tg4

whimbrel
    Free Member

I had the RX100mkI, but it got dust on the sensor. Returned to John Lewis for repair, but they lost it. They offered me a refund or replacement, and went for the refund as no matter how good the picture quality was I didn’t want to risk the dust issue again. [Lots of reports on the web]
    I eventually bought the Sony A5000 instead, thinking that I could always clean the sensor if dust got in, but even though it has a bigger sensor than the RX100, I was disappointed with the quality compared to the RX100. I assume it is a lens issue – both cameras similar price.
    Anyway, that went back, so I’m looking for a camera [up to £300] that has a similar picture quality to RX100 that isn’t prone to dust, or you can clean the sensor.
    Any ideas?

GregMay
    Free Member

Buy another RX100 and return it when it gets dust in the sensor…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Compact camera usb rechargable recomendation?’ is closed to new replies.