Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Comp shifted or Urge Enduro for …Enduros!
  • angryhalfling
    Free Member

Hi gents

I was wondering if you think I should go for the Urge for enduro racing. I dont want to be strapping helmets onto my camelback, I want a do all full face helmet/as close as it gets for enduro racing that perhaps has enough ventilation for all mountain/trail centre stuff to.

The comps an awesome price, but whats it like in the ventilation department?
    UK based rider so I dont have to worry to much about excessive temperatures!

Northwind

Comp is not particularily well vented. I’ve got a down-o-matic rather than an archi-enduro, the main venting round the top is teh same though and tbh though it’s about as well vented as it gets, it’s still properly unpleasant for allround riding in. If you have ideas about riding up hills with it on, personally I would say don’t- it’s bad enough on pedally descents ime.

I am not fast, so, take it with that disclaimer but for enduro racing I wear my Fox Striker. I’ve worn full face for enduro before, and it is rubbish… And the distraction from the heat and sweat is enough that I’m less safe in mine than I am while comfortable in an open face. I tried it again recently for an event with mandatory full face, and I ended up just not even bothering doing the raceday as it totally ruined it for me.

But as ever ymmv. And if you want a vented full face you won’t beat the archi.

angryhalfling
    Free Member

I was wondering if it was worth the while in UK enduros re full face, alot of the really fast lads just seem to be rolling with open faces. After all I guess it isnt your full on fort william type downhill stuff on the descents 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It all depends on the venue for me. If I was racing somewhere like the UKGE at Dyfi last year, with 40mph rocky descents with loads of whoops then I’d wear one but this year I haven’t felt there was anything that scared me enough to put one on. I do tend to wear a full face Seeding, though, unless it’s really pedally because there’s no disadvantage in wearing one.

Northwind

@angryhalfling- sometimes the stages are as downhill as it gets. (at innerleithen it’s quite often the case that the easiest stages are on the downhill trails 😉 ) So it’s not so much that there’s not good reasons to, it’s just that there’s also good reasons not to.

Kahurangi

I have an Urge Archi-Enduro as an uplifted, half-arsed DH lid and and I certainly wouldn’t want to wear it for pedally uphill in warm weather. I do now have a better bag so for enduros later in the year I’ll probably have two lids and strap one to the bag.

It’s all up to your preference and level of comfort. I’ve worn a normal trail lid for Enduro and didn’t die. But then I didn’t crash and I wasn’t that fast either.

angryhalfling
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback lads. If Urge Enduro’s a tadge sweaty on the climbs think I’ll look for something else. Maybes a casco viper which looks pretty badass and more importantly well vented but their bloomin expensive..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do folk now buy different helmets for different styles of mtbing? (other than xc/downhill)

One for road & mtb each is bad enough, those marketing guys know what they are doing!

angryhalfling
    Free Member

Not really just when its a bit more rocky and faster its nicer ensuring that you keep your teeth 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Tool/job.

andyrm
    Free Member

I tend to use my Archi Enduro as my single lid for Enduro (both UK and abroad). Main reason being that while it could be argued you’re less likely to facebrake in the UK, if it happens, then it’s pretty nasty. And as I have a client facing job, that’s kind of out of the question……

Not too bad heat wise – you just get used to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Comp shifted or Urge Enduro for …Enduros!’ is closed to new replies.