Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • commuting/towpath tyres?
  • legend
    Free Member

I’ve been asked to get hold of some tyres for my mum’s bike. It’ll put in a fair few miles, but generally just roads or towpath type trails (forest tracks at the very most).

Anyone got any recommendations or a tyre to fit the bill? It’s wwaaayyyy out of my area of expertise, but guessing I’d want something that rolls fairly well, good puncture resistance, but not so skinny that the ride will end up really harsh. Oh, it it needs to be 26 inch.

Cheers,
    Mark

MrTall
    Free Member

I put some Bonty Comforts on the MrsTalls bike. Cheap as chips (£10ish) slickish centre with side knobs for a bit of grip offroad. Roll well and are chunky enough to provide cushioning.

Failing that, any semi-slick should do the job equally well.

Dibbs
    Free Member

How about some Panaracer Uff’Da’s, we use them on the bikes at work. 2.3 so big air chamber, we’ve had a lot less pinch flats from muppets bashing into kerbs since we changed to them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve used Conti Travel Contacts for a few years now and they’re very good; central smooth rolling bit but with enough side knobbles to make cornering on looser surfaces less sketchy. The perfect towpath tyre I think.

Dibbs
    Free Member

In my experience the the side knobs don’t add a lot offroad because most people don’t lean far enough to use them and can be a real liability onroad because if you do lean far enough to use them they suddenly provide you with less grip and you get to check out the tarmac closeup (have scars to prove it) 🙄

plumber
    Free Member

Swalbe city jets

great on the road – and I’ve ridden plenty of off road with them too – a bit dodgy round tight single track and no use in mud but fine other than that

anjs
    Free Member

City jets are great but are a little interesting in loose sand

hoddo80
    Free Member

Schwalbe do a Marathon GreenGuard or Marathon Plus, a bit towards the top end but a wicked tyre and well worth the money! Great puncture protection and grip. Its available in a range of 26″ sizes.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/startseite/?gesamt=1&ID_Land=38&ID_Sprache=2&ID_Seite=126

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Great puncture protection and grip

I’m a big Marathon Plus fan (well over a year/5000 glass-filled-commuting miles on a set now and not a single puncture), but they are heavy, a bit lifeless and the lack of grip in the wet take a bit of getting used to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘commuting/towpath tyres?’ is closed to new replies.