Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuting with Large Laptop
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi All,

I am preparing myself and my bike for a potential 2 hour commute, I’ll be trying to avoid down pours but as I plan to start this coming spring I want to be prepared!

I have to commute with my laptop which is a pretty hefty beast. I have a decent neoprene case for it but I am not confident the zip will be as water resistant as the neoprene so was hoping to get some decently sized waterproof ones.

Before I committed to anything in particular I was wandering if the STW brain might have some input…

geoffj

Pannier – one of those ortleib roll top waterproof ones.
    Padded neoprene sleeve in one for protection from knocks.

richmars

I use panniers for the bike stuff. If I need to take the laptop home (big CAD thing) I put it in a racksack, which isn’t waterproof so I put the laptop in a plastic bag.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

I use a Panier from Cordo, http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46532/Cordo_Tafelberg_Single_PannierOffice_Bag, which is brilliant. Waterproof enough for the commute, and keeps the weight of the beast off m back.

This one is just big enough for a 14in laptop though. I think Cordo make a bigger one as well.

GrahamS

First and most obvious point, do you need to carry the laptop?
    Alternatives could be removable hard drive, USB stick, Dropbox, Google Drive, VPN, Remote Desktop etc

Secondly, do you need a big laptop? Why not small laptop + separate keyboard, mouse and monitor at each end?

Failing that Topeak Office Bag?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

First and most obvious point, do you need to carry the laptop?

Yup. I work 2 days in one place and 3 days in another, so as a minimum it needs to travel with me at least once each way. I also quite often work from home. I already use VPN and drop box services etc, but mainly for licence access or to back my work up.

Secondly, do you need a big laptop? Why not small laptop + separate keyboard, mouse and monitor at each end?

I probably don’t “Need” it. But it is what has been provided too me so I have it for a little while yet, unless I provide a replacement personally, which I don’t intend on doing.

I’ll have a look at the links provided, but thanks for the advice so far.

Dom

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Geoff, I do like the look of those Ortlieb ones.

takisawa2

I have to lug a Dell Precision with a 17′ screen. Weighs a bloody ton. Started with a neoprene sleeve in various rucksacks but my 20mins ride was bad enough, 2 hours could potentially do you some harm in terms of injury. I started putting the whole laptop case inside a waterproof bag & fastened this to a rear rack, on top of some foam pipe lagging for protection. Worked well enough, but its much better to get the weight low down, & a pannier is ideal.
    I now use the huge pannier bag on my Kona Ute. I can put the whole laptop bag in. It’s seen some biblical downpours but never been a problem. Just find a pannier that will take the whole laptop bag if you can.
    Next time I spec a machine I’m going for something smaller. At work I have a docking station & 21″ screen anyway, but if working from home for any length I’ll buy a screen (or see if work can find me one).

justridemtb
    Free Member

I do a similar commute with laptop, etc. Tried rucksack but now use panniers all the time. Its quite a weight on your back

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Takisawa2: I have a similar machine. Absolutely love it, apart from when I have to travel with it!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I quite like this… Knog Dutch Dog. Just a shame it isn’t big enough 🙁

eyerideit
    Free Member

I sometimes cart around a 17″ MBP plus change of clothes, shoes. waterproofs etc and use a Chrome Berlin.

It was bloody expensive, but it’s huge at 52l. It’s also very well built, waterproof and extremely secure. It might not as waterproof as an Ortlieb backpack but I’m more than happy to cart around my 2k laptop whatever the weather.

Panniers weren’t an option for me as the bike has no mounts and P clips are meant to be rubbish.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuting with Large Laptop’ is closed to new replies.