Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • commuting with a laptop – who does it and how do you carry it?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Currently take my laptop home on tuesdays and fridays. So I have to do 4 commutes with it. I normally use a rucksack but the bloody thing is uncomfortably heavy (with my clothes and lunch as well).

I have used a courier bag in the past, but due to a shoulder injury find that too uncomfortable to use anymore. Also tried panniers, but it would only warrant using one pannier and that made the bike feel odd and didn’t like that. Also it limits me to using the road bike only.

Are there any better options for carrying it? Is there any saddle bags or rack top bags that fit a laptop?

dan1980
    Free Member

I used to do it with a single pannier. The trick was to pack it so the heavy stuff was closest to the wheel and at the bottom. It felt a lot less odd that way. Anything especially heavy went in a dry bag and sat on the top of the rack secured with bungy cord.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 to panniers.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Slipped in the bladder part of my Kriega R20, or documents section of R35.

derekrides
    Free Member

Dakine Network Bag, goes everywhere with me.

Spud

Panniers with a laptop insert. Been fine for years (on the days I actually commute).

stevehine

I used to have this problem; my solution was to move everything I need for work onto an external drive and simply carry that to / from the office. Much easier to stick in a bag and it’s not like you’ll actually be working on the move is it ? 🙂

wwaswas

Dropbox is the cycle commuters friend.

That or a pannier. Decent size laptops do your back in over any distance even in a ‘proper’ bag.

ransos
    Free Member

There are a few briefcase style panniers on the market that should fit the bill – try Altura or Carradice. But then I’ve never found carrying a single pannier to be a problem.

stevehine

dropbox is another good shout – the biggest problems tend to be policy ones – things like allowing web access to e-mail servers and rules on external media. I’m currently circumventing that by using a virtual machine that’s been built by the IT guys so I’m running a ‘work build’ at both locations; just on my own hardware at home.

alfabus
    Free Member

i used to do it, with my work thinkpad (weighed a tonne!)… neoprene sleeve and chucked in the pannier with my clothes and lunch; job done.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

One of these

Been using one of these for years, comfy and keeps your laptop safe. A lot of money, but mine is now 7 or 8 years old and still going strong.

IA

Pannier, and a bit of foam in there to stop it rattling round. Laptop itself in a tucano second skin. A bungee round the pannier helps stop stuff rattling tiself to death.

soma_rich
    Free Member

If your doing nay kind of distance with any kind of weight panniers are by far the best option. I use an AGU one which is designed around a 15″ laptop.

buffalobill
    Free Member

Been using an Osprey Momentum for the last 6mths which has been a massive improvement on my old rucksack – separate padded laptop pocket away from back.
    Having said that, I try and avoid taking the thing home if I can.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Get the smallest lightest laptop you can and have a screen at home and work. Get a second charger for home.

TiRed

Have used my Deuter rucksack, but ordered an Ortlieb Downtown yesterday. I already use a laptop insert.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Lots of interesting suggestions.

I work for a big company, I get the laptop I am given, no choices. I can’t use dropbox and can’t use my home pc to access work systems.

I already have a second power supply at home.

I have multiple commute options, depending on weather, feelings, time etc I may use the mountain bike and get some woody singletrack fix en route or I may ride the road.

I want an option that will be good for both, preferably not in a rucksack.

I’ve started thinking about a custom frame bag…..

sobriety
    Free Member

I get the laptop I am given

My approach was to take exceptionally bad care of it until they gave me something suitable.

And try to get them to pay for any bag you get, if they want the laptop to survive they’ll fork out.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

nice idea. I did have a net book for the reason of ease of carrying, but I broke it and ended up with a laptop.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘commuting with a laptop – who does it and how do you carry it?’ is closed to new replies.