Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Commuting Wheels
  • chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve currently got the original Maddux DC 3.0 Disc wheels on my 2009 Cannondale Badboy 700 Disc. They are very heavy, hubs are gubbed and the spokes are all going now too so time to replace.

Anyone recommend me a good commuter wheelset (700c + disc)? Needs to be fairly sturdy as my commute takes me on and off cycle routes which involve crossing some busy roads and kerbs….Plus the roads in Glasgow are pretty fond of a hole or two….

Looking to spend < £300…

chief1409
    Free Member

Bump…..

takisawa2

Some wheels based on Mavic TN317’s shouldn’t cost the earth, & be pretty tough. Pro2’s are the usual hub of choice. Could go bolt-up for a bit more security. At least bearing changes are (fairly) straightforward. I prefer Shimano (cup & cone) hubs as, once re-packed properly with grease, they last well & the freewheels are nice & quiet.

Northwind

I got some cheap Superstar wheels, Pacenti 29er rims on their Switch hubs. The build is shit but they’ve been more or less durable enough for a hybrid (you’d have to be mad to put them in a mountain bike), and they were very cheap.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Pro2 EVO on Archetype rims here. Then tubeless if you fancy it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For the winter I still use some old xtr hubs with mavic tn touring rims
    They are now about to do winter number five since I build them and still working just fine
    The hubs were not new then but are well sealed and require less looking after than my hope pro evo ones

Good cup and cone hubs are far from outof place

chief1409
    Free Member

A wee update. Car problems meant my budget got cut massively so ened up with a set of Mach 1 820 wheels with shimano hubs from On One. At £75 (half-price) then i thought they’d be worth a punt even if the only last the winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Wheels’ is closed to new replies.