Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuting wheels
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Was thinking about buying a set of wheels shod with slick tyres for commuting duties.

Would I be correct in assuming that I can get away with roadie rims and slicks on MTB hubs? The total circumference of my 26″ rims and tyres can’t be too far out surely?

Anyone done this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seen it done, not sure how big you can go re. tires.

STATO
    Free Member

Far less faff to buy a cheap commuter, plus it means you can run full guards and the gearing will be more appropriate. And your mtb will be ready to ride all the time and not wrecked by the winter weather.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The idea is to fit them to my hardtail, rather than swapping tyres every time I want to take it off road, I’d simply swap the wheels over.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Why not just have second set of mtb rims with 26″ slicks?

RustySpanner

sweaman2 – Member

Why not just have second set of mtb rims with 26″ slicks?

This.

Stronger, just as fast, no faffing around.

Or you could just buy a nice road bike from Decathlon for less than the price of a posh set of wheels.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

By the time youve switched the wheels over,and realigned calipers,it wont take much longer to just swap your tyres to slicks.

Then you need to consider running the chain on two cassettes,unless you buy a second and swap it each time so you run one chain with 1 cassette and the possibilty of tweaking indexing.

In the long run,I found having a cheap commuting bike was the bet bet.

TiRed

The answer is always another bike 😆
    Actually, being serious, when you are commuting, you want reliability, speed of access and sometimes a turn of speed. A second bike dedicated to this purpose makes a lot of sense. You’ll also want permanent lights and a rack and mudguards.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, I bought my hardtail as a commuter bike, but I also like to ride it offroad sometimes 😉

Finding a set of reasonably priced wheels that accommodate a 20mm front hub is proving problematic (thank you Shimano for your new 15mm standard) so a dedicated commuting bike may well be the best bet…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuting wheels’ is closed to new replies.