Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Commuting: What Jacket
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

What with the mornings getting dark well pitch black when I have to leave home at 4:30 I need a high vis jacket.

Criteria are it needs to be very visible, not made from plastic bags and be pretty cheap. I guess the ideal coat would have a few zips maybe a back pocket be bright yellow with reflective bits relatively waterproof but not too much as to make it non breathable and cost £20. I'm not bothered how stylish it is.

Is there anything out there that fits the above?

euanr
    Free Member

I just purchased an Endura jacket from CRC

Endura Phoenix

May fit your bill, the red is nice and bright and a bit different from the normal yellow jackets. Tough feeling fabric, nice long sleeves and pit zips. Big back pocket with waterproof zip. Collar is nice and high too. £50 though so a bit over your £20 budget.

MoreCashThanDash

At that budget, get a hi viz waistcoat – not much else will be avilable.

A mate has the black Altura Night Vision – looks ace, think there is a hi viz version.

If you are riding in the dark, it hardly matters what colour your jacket is – it's your lights that will get you seen.

jonb
    Free Member

Check out wiggle and some of the DHB options. They had some in the sale.

Is there a decathlon near you, try them.

Have a look on the field and trek site. They had some cheap stuff a few weeks ago in the sale.

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm doing OK with a Polaris Dayglo Orange jacket I picked up in Halfords for under 30 quid IIRC. Zip pocket on front for keys and stuff. Cycling specific cut. I do get very sweaty but that's aprtly due to the 20 mins of climbing on my route, and I run hot.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_561651_langId_-1_categoryId_228859

EDIT: It's 35 here but I think there must have been an offer on in store when I got mine.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hi Viz netted type vest.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

As monkeychild says, if you've already got a decent waterproof just put a highviz vest on.

If you want longsleeve then these are a bargian – 2nd one down
    http://hivizextras.co.uk/vests.html

Oh, and if commute with a rucksack these are canny too – last one on page:-
    http://hivizextras.co.uk/accessories.html

alpinegirl
    Free Member

my jacket

Over your budget, but I'm not convinced you will get a decent waterproof for 20 pounds unless you're very lucky in a sale!
    I have something like this jacket which worked great for a coastal west-Wales commute through the winter. It even didn't tear when I came flying off on a patch of ice at the bottom of a hill… unfortunately my skin did! It is also super-relective.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive found this anybody have any opinions on it?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sportful_Reflex_Jacket/5360045534/

Hal
    Free Member

Altura night vision, breathable waterproof and can be seen in the dark. 8)

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

I've just finished my commute ride in Bath – caught a fella up (riding a nice Whyte) wearing one of these:

Polaris Very Bright Jacket

Even in this mornings glorious sunshine it really stood out. In the market myself for when it starts to get darker, so may will be getting one when back in stock in CRC.

AndyP
    Free Member

Just get some good lights?

cynic-al
    Free Member

lights don't point sideways 😕

AndyP
    Free Member

lights don't point sideways
    they don't? Could swear that mine do…

rolfharris
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision again here- very waterproof (the girlfriend's coped with 4.5" of rain in an afternoon much beeter than my £100 Polaris jacket), good quality and good fit. The black one is great in terms of light reflection, and it doesn't shout "cyclist" when you're not on the bike. I can't take photos of her wearing it with a flash because it's just a mess of brightness, but the yellow is more obvious in the day.

workhard
    Free Member

+1 Altura Night Vision if you've got the cash. My wife reckons on unlit roads at night the black version is more effective in car headlights than the yellow one.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

lights don't point sideways

Road legal bike lights should be visible from the sides.

juan
    Free Member

Road legal bike lights should be visible from the sides.

Road legal bikes shouldhave the orange stuff in the wheels a bell and the reflectors in the pedal

I_Ache
    Free Member

Only problem with that polaris jacket s the mesh back. I feel I might have to stump up the cash for an Altura.

I've got a cheapo 3 LED rear light and am probably going to get a couple of very small lights for the seat stays so I'm lit up like a Christmas tree.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

juan – Member

Road legal bikes shouldhave the orange stuff in the wheels a bell and the reflectors in the pedal

Only for night riding. ;o) No legal requirement for reflectors if riding in the day :p

And bells must be on a bike at point of sale, but again, there is no legal requirement to have one on a bike once it's left the shop.

I_Ache
    Free Member

When people are reccormending the Altura Night Vision is the the waterproof or the windproof one? Apparently there are two.

AndyP
    Free Member

When people are reccormending the Altura Night Vision is the the waterproof or the windproof one? Apparently there are two.
    both are nicely reflective but the waterproof is a real boil-in-the-bag special, even with all zips/vents undone. Windproof every time IME

rolfharris
    Free Member

Found the Altura waterproof one to be OK actually for temperature- it's not a heavyweight jacket by any means.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thats fine I'm a bit of a biffer and manage to sweat in the winter.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Have a look at this http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11238.htm

Lightweight, waterproof, hi-vis and under 20 smackers!! I bought one about 2yrs ago and its still being used in downpours, even kept me warm across the downs when it was snowing with a long sleeved tshirt. Very good value for money.

MoreCashThanDash

Those Aldi winter gloves are great value for money – and Tangfastics for 99p!!!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Commuting: What Jacket’ is closed to new replies.