Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • commuting waterproof jacket that covers the Bum?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

At the moment I’m using a Madison one. If it was 2 inches longer it would be perfect.

Got a bit wet tonight coming into work, constantly pulling the jacket down at the back. Don’t want to spend a fortune, it’s only 8 mile and I sweat only a little bit.

njee20
    Free Member

Mudguards and no waterproof, particularly at this time of year.

smartboy
    Free Member

+1 for mudguards!
    I took the full guards off my road bike commuter a few weeks ago when we had some sun for 30 seconds. Been riding it guard-less for a few weeks and very surprised at how huge a difference they make to keeping bum and feet from getting a complete soaking.

Doesn’t help with your question though. Sorry!

jacob46
    Free Member

Njee20, can’t turn up for work wet!! Plus when my new road carbon road bike is ready there is no option for mudguards.

steezysix
    Free Member

Why not get one of those plastic fold-out guards that go on the saddle rails? I know they’re not cool on road bikes, but it’d be way cheaper than a new jacket and less hassle than trying to get full guards to fit.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee20, can’t turn up for work wet!! Plus when my new road carbon road bike is ready there is no option for mudguards.

All a waterproof is doing is stopping your torso getting wet, but you’ll sweat more. So still be wet, and smell worse. Mudguards made me realise what a small proportion of spray actually comes from the sky – it has to be raining bloody hard before you actually get properly wet.

race blades will fit, just put some frame protection tape on first if you value the paint.

jacob46
    Free Member

Got any links for these plastic mud guards?

epicyclo

njee20 – Member
    …Mudguards made me realise what a small proportion of spray actually comes from the sky – it has to be raining bloody hard before you actually get properly wet.

I’ll second that, and add a cycling cape to it. Most breathable waterproof setup.

steezysix
    Free Member

Ass Savers – if you Google “saddle mudguard” it’ll come up with others, or some people make their own. Not going to be as effective as full guards, but for this time of year as a “just in case” option it could work for you?

drlex
    Free Member
    D0NK

njee speaketh sense, guards and wind(as opposed to water)proof clothing is a lot more practical (supplemented with a showerproof pacamac for if it gets stupidly wet) cover your arse and you’ll still get inner thigh and shins/shoes wet. (and chest/face depending on speed and how wet the road is)

Plus when my new road carbon road bike is ready there is no option for mudguards.

I’m sure that’ll be brilliant for nice days but not (IMO of course) a great choice for year round UK commuting. Maybe try to wedge in some blades or crud racer thingies. Hope you like it anyway.

D0NK

I’ll second that, and add a cycling cape to it.

they look – from the viewpoint of total ignorance – dangerous, I assume you’ve used one extensively and like it, fancy telling us more?

Off the top of my head problems could include, acting like a sail in the wind, moving from drops to hoods and back, standing to seated and back, signalling, cape catching on things (bars, levers etc). But like I said no experience.

nemesis
    Free Member

when my new road carbon road bike is ready there is no option for mudguards.

Any bike can fit raceblades or similar and they work 90% as well as full mudguards IME. As above, most water that gets you wet actually comes from the wheels unless it’s raining really heavily.

epicyclo

D0NK – Member
    …fancy telling us more?
    Off the top of my head problems could include, acting like a sail in the wind, moving from drops to hoods and back, standing to seated and back, signalling, cape catching on things (bars, levers etc). But like I said no experience.

First of all a cape is not the perfect solution, but possibly the least imperfect one for road use.

It is cheap, versatile, and much faster to deploy than waterproofs.

A cape can catch the wind, but usually when it’s lashing down it’s not that windy. If the wind is cold, I’ll often wear the cape even if it’s not wet because it’s better than most “windproof” clothing.

Any decent cape will have thumb loops which will stop it blowing up. With the thumb loops it moves with your hands, thus signalling, changing hand positions are possible. I sit on the rear of the cape so that doesn’t blow around.

The cape I use also has a couple of armholes which makes it possible to use it like a poncho off the bike.

When the wind is so strong that the rain comes at you horizontally it’s wiser to seek shelter than ride, but waterproof breathable jackets still get water running down your neck or up your arms plus whatever is happening with your legs. But a cape can be the shelter – this where a hooded cape excels.

If you hunker down when stopped your cape is like a mini tent, and with the hood pull strings tightened, the only thing that’s getting wet is your face (if you’re daft enough to face the weather). The rest of your body gets nice and warm in the cocoon.

The best capes I have used were the old oilskin ones because the weight made them lie better. (I think Brooks may still supply them.) I currently use an inexpensive Raleigh branded cape which is lightweight nylon but folds quite compactly, so that’s an acceptable compromise but not quite as good as the real thing.

Maybe the best thing about a cape* is you can ride in normal clothing so you can dress for where you’re going rather than the road.

But it must be added that a cape without good mudguards is useless.
    *Edit: actually the best thing is the cost! I think mine cost £12 several years ago whereas a decent weather proof jacket will cost much more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘commuting waterproof jacket that covers the Bum?’ is closed to new replies.