Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Commuting tyres – what to replace std Marathons with?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

Currently running std Marathons which are ideal ( from a lack of punctures point of view )for the mix of towpath and roads however I’ve had a few offs this year – its a combination of braking/turning/damp tarmac that seems to be the common theme.
    Do the pricier Marathons offer better grip or should I go for something else?

ton

supremes here. seem pretty good. puncture proof is a must for commutes.

smokey_jo

Vittoria Voyager Hypers – nice and supple, plenty of grip and I’ve not been beset with punctures

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

what size? I am a big fan of the contis with puncture protection – gatorskin and the like. I pulled 19 bits of glass out of an unpunctured rear tyre and my current set have multiple glass cuts in them with the puncture proof belt visible. Much much better grip than marathons, wear out quickly tho. Mine are now worn out and need replacing. I’d much rather have good grip from soft rubber than a hard tyre with low grip

http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/gatorskin on my 700c commuter

I have used these on a 26″ commuter
    http://conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/travel-contact
    http://conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/sport-contact-ii

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Try the Schwalbe Mondials, much better than the standard Marathons. I think the puncture protection on the Marathons makes the carcass really stiff and inflexible. My old pair were horrid over white lines etc.

RustySpanner

Continental Top Contact 2 have a bit more of a tread than the Marathon Supremes.

Not cheap or light, but really tough and a decent feel.

shermer75
    Free Member

Puncture proof: Marathon Supremes can be run tubeless at high pressure

Moar grip: I had the same problem as you at this time last year, I thought it may be oil on my tyres from the road, so I scrubbed the tyres with washing up liquid and the problem went away

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got standard Marathons, Vittoria Hyper and Continental 4 Season.

Grip is pretty similar on the Marathon and Hyper in my experience.

4 Season is much better.

Puncture resistance is far superior on the Marathon though which is especially noticeable in the winter when i’m fixing punctures every week or two.

scruff
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    Puncture proof: Marathon Supremes can be run tubeless at high pressure

Normal not TL ones? I have some supremes, be nice to run them tubeless but don’t want an accidental explosion on my way to work.

shermer75
    Free Member

Normal not TL ones? I have some supremes, be nice to run them tubeless but don’t want an accidental explosion on my way to work.

Hmm. I was looking at their website and it does seem to be saying that all of this year’s tyres will be tubeless ready (or ‘easy’ as they are now calling it)

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-supreme.html

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tubeless-technology.html

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hmm. I was looking at their website and it does seem to be saying that all of this year’s tyres will be tubeless ready (or ‘easy’ as they are now calling it)

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-supreme.htmlErm, no, it quite clearly shows there are TL-Easy and V-Guard options. There’s actually very few tubeless ones

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, you’re right, I just noticed that myself. Hrumph!

philjunior
    Free Member

Marathon supremes here, pretty good grip and reasonably fast rolling as well as another thing I don’t want to write regarding punctures as it will tempt fate.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/final-closeout/wheels-closeout?sort=price-asc

Last night to use PRFINAL20 it claims.

Marathon Cross for under £11 each is a stunning price, is they fit your bike.

Vittoria Adventure Trail 38mm tubeless look interesting for £8 each too.

kimbers

+1 for the Mondials, just as puncture proof as marathons, much better grip, still heavy and slow.

But I’ll take the downsides, coz everything else just punctures!

shermer75
    Free Member

Are you sure those Vittoria Adventure Trails are tubeless? I’m struggling to find them..

shermer75
    Free Member
    benp1

Just had a little browse of the Schalbe website, I didn’t realise how high the rolling resistance was of the Marathon Plus tyres I’m running. They’ve been very reliable though

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Vittoria Hypers are very good with punctures, i commuted 7000 miles on them last year with no punctures. There fast rolling, downside is i really don’t like them in the wet to the point they scare me.

I currently just have my WTB Nanos 40mm on, as ive just left them on from the summer, there not actually that bad with rolling resistance.

benp1

I use Nano 2.1s and have some 40mm ones hanging up. I’ve heard they don’t last particularly long if doing road biased commuting though, like less than a thousand

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

My 40c nano has done thousands of km on the front of my commuter, 70/30 road/offroad. It’s now on the back and has loads of life left.

drewd

I ordered a pair of the Vittoria adventure trail from PX last week and can confirm they’re tubeless.

I got them to run over winter instead of the Hyper Voyagers. I’ve not ridden them yet but they’re not much bigger than the 35c Hyper Voyagers. They feel heavier and are nowhere near as supple, but hopefully they won’t feel too slow. I wanted the light tread for better off road capabilities, they certainly feel robust.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I’ve done about a 1000 miles on the Nanos of mixed road/offroad, both are showing wear, particularly the rear but it still has life left.

benp1

Hmmm, I commute about 3,000 miles a year on the road. My commute will change slightly in December, about 10% of that will be on a converted railway line that is towpath gravelly or muddy forest track

Not sure how well the Nanos would last, particular as I’m also on glass and crap strewn London roads. I’ve done over two years on my current set of marathon +s

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve done over two years on my current set of marathon +s

That’s more than I’ve ever had out of any tyre, so good going!

disco_stu
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ll stick either a supreme or mondial on the front wheel and keep a std marathon on the back.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Commuting tyres – what to replace std Marathons with?’ is closed to new replies.