Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • commuting tonight
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Anyone else on the bike tonight?

Doesn’t look like much fun out there. This morning wasn’t too bad, it was dry and the wind was behind me – I think the way home may be somewhat horrendous.

Still, at least there is a warm shower awaiting me 🙂

Dave

ski
    Free Member

I am hoping I have the wind on my back for the return trip.

Having to fight the rain and wind in your face will not be much fun, but if its on my back that at least will be a bonus 😉

buttercup
    Free Member

Planned on it.. but the threading on my ISCG mounts on my new frame are putting up quite a fight. It’s terrifying. I am driving in.

wors

fair play to anyone commuting in this, i normally commute 5 days a week year round but i threw in the towel this morning, this weather has broken me 🙁

alfabus
    Free Member

I was dreading it this morning, but had no choice (wife needed the car to drive to a meeting in the opposite direction – so not even the chance for a lift).

It was actually fine once I got going – not too cold and the wind pushing me along.

This evening however…

cupra
    Free Member

Swerved the commute today, would have been a tailwind on the way in and then a wind and rain facial exfoliation on the way home!

scratch
    Free Member

It’s only weather!

I’ll be sticking to the back roads to avoid getting blown into the path of an oncoming artic mind…

pedalhead
    Free Member

My watch has a storm alarm which has been quiet for months. It’s gone off four times in the past couple of hours. Glad I’ve got my car today 🙂

Alcopop
    Free Member

giving the commuting a miss today
    so far at work one of the shutter doors in the warehouse has caved in
    and an internal plasterboard wall collapsed !!!
    the most windy ive seen for a long time

SaxonRider

I left the house this morning with the wind at my back for most of the ride, and am desperately hoping it will die down by 9:)) tonight when I head home. It is currently rattling the windows and making the ceiling in my office groan and creak.

Alas, my van is in the bodyshop getting a respray, or I might have succumbed to motorised commuting today.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

yup

‘hand raised high’

I dont mind the head wind and the rain, it’s the worry of sudden cross winds that I’m not looking forward to.

… could be worse…

BenjiM

Looking forward to the commute home. Tailwind tonight although it was a headwind and chucking it down on the way in this morning. How the hell I’m going to get 2 dozen eggs home and a 4 inch core drill with my 2 lunch boxes in a 5 litre pack, I don’t know.

loum
    Free Member

BenjiM, Safest way I’ve found to transport eggs is hard boiled.
    🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

it would have be 16miles with the wind in this morning, but the thought of 16 exposed miles across the vale of evesham with no shelter into this wind, no, i might have got home tomorrow!

binners

Not a bloody chance! My 16 mile commute is always into a headwind on the way home.

There’s one or two particularly exposed spots. I pass not one, but two pubs called “the Summit” At the second one you just grind to a halt as you get past it and into the teeth of the wind. I dread to think what it’ll be like tonight. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to find out!

The alternative route involves riding past these

They put them there for a bloody good reason!

DezB
    Free Member

Not me. Weather and stupid drivers has put me off for the week.
    Woman drove straight at me on Tues, despite f-off bright Hope lights and a flasher. Managed to dodge her and got clipped by the wing mirror.
    Need a rest after that.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’m going to take the slightly longer route on teh back roads, that will let me skirt across the wind on the uphill, and then go downhill into wind.

I’m strangely looking forward to it 🙂

Dave

jonba
    Free Member

Well given I had to fight my way in this morning I’m expecting to average high 20’s on my way home. Off out on a night ride too.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It will be nice and warm in my car tonight. Looking at it I made the right decision this morning.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Had a lovely 12.5 miles into a gusting head wind, took me an extra 15 minutes to get home and thats down in Londinium!!

The cross winds over bridges were awful, especially with panniers on the rear 😯

JonBurns
    Free Member

Love it when someone mentions the word pannier, always gives me a mental image of a bike with a rack holding large cheeses. Thanks Steve.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup but I only have 7 miles and its was OK this morning – I like the challenge 😉

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

just got in – came home via the canal to avoid traffic. Few sketchy moments with sidewinds, and quite a lot of debris blowing about. With hindsight I’d have probably caught the train to nearer home. 🙄 in a word – grim !

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Pretty nasty coming in this morning – should be mostly behind me on the way home though. Putting all the wet kit back on is the worst bit…

Gary_M
    Free Member

90mph per hour winds and a 20mph commute across a moor don’t make a good mix. Was going to ride this morning until my wife told me not to be so stupid. She was right again.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cycled in this morning which was fine(great actually, wind blew me up the hill), but left the bike in work. I saw one soul when i got home and jumped down to the shop, he was off walking in, and trying his best to keep his wheels on the ground.

2tyred

Not long home. City centre was abandoned. Brilliant 10 mile tailwind-assisted hammer home on the fixed, braking downhill!

scruff
    Free Member

Downhill tailwind all the way in, just going to get changed and go the other way 🙁

alfabus
    Free Member

well, I made it.

weather was interesting – don’t think I’ve ever experience rain that heavy on my bike before; absolute and total saturation, puddles across the full width of the road.

I couldn’t actually see for a lot of it, so I missed a couple of turnings (bear in mind this is my regular commute, so I’m pretty familiar with the route!). My eyes were hurting and bizarrely so was my bottom lip from the stinging rain.

The weather is so bad out there that even car drivers were being considerate (well, most of them). Bearing mind that I’m only in Cheltenham, I dread to think what you lot in the grim north are going through!

Good luck to everyone who still has to go out there; I’m going to have a cup of tea and read the new STW (will try not to look at the calendar, as that would make me angry) 🙂

Dave

SaxonRider

3 hours to go for me yet. Someone do a wind dance and make it all go away.

alfabus
    Free Member

plenty of wind out there… you don’t need more!

phiiiiil

I’m getting over the dreaded lurgy so it was motorised transport for me today. This morning, with the wind directly behind me, would have been very quick!

BenjiM

Well i left the eggs at work and the father in law is happy with the drill. Just glad i bought those endurance stealth bibs last week. dry as bone on the way to work an back.

muddodger
    Free Member

I got a wind assisted soaking first thing, and then braved a head on gale on the way home, 50 mins to do a normal 35 min journey! 🙂

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I had to stop at one point as the crosswind was mental.

Stood still holding the bars and the wind hitting the panniers was making the back end of the bike judder sideways 😯 serious wind!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘commuting tonight’ is closed to new replies.