Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuting times and cost: train v motorbike v car (warning London content)
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

So I’m very keen to get my motorbike licence which may or may not happen soon due to funds. Either way I’ll do my CBT in the next few weeks. In the same timeframe my gf and I be moving to that there London and have been looking at areas based on getting the train to work, this means we’re limited to wimbledon or earlsfield. However, I’ve floated the idea of commuting to work (St Peters near Chertsey for the first year) by motorbike in order to reduce time and cost of commuting. Primarily fearing for my safety* my gf is not keen at all but she also doesn’t think it’ll be much quicker than train and, rightly, points out I’ll be pretty tired after work which doesn’t bode well for a novice motorcyclist.

So a few questions about the practicalities. In terms of time then will a motorbike be (much) quicker from Earlsfield/Southfields to Chertsey than a car or train? In terms of cost then the train is £200 a month, the car has just been MOTd, insured and taxed for a year (about £600) and does about 35-40 mpg. With the bike I’d need to factor licence (about £700), cost of a second hand bike (say £1800?) plus clothing (?£500) as well as the running costs. Is she right, am I fudging the numbers to make it all fit?

Also we’ll more than likely sell the car unless commute by car – which I’m pretty averse to.

*It’ll be my first job and she wants the money I owe her, I’m sure this is unrelated…

trail_rat
    Free Member

The main question is – is the 200 quid a month more than the extra cost of living with in an easy pedal of work ?

fontmoss
    Free Member

The main question is – is the 200 quid a month more than the extra cost of living with in an easy pedal of work ?

Yes.

Forgot to add in original post that train is 40 min the morning about closer to an hour in the evening

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Chertsey to Southfields is about 16 miles that’s a perfectly good bicycle commute with options to ride along the river if you fancied. Cheapest option of all and you’ll be fit as you like within a year.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I make it 18 miles by bike routes and almost 24 by car according to google maps? Either way I know myself well enough to know I won’t last long doing that twice a day and learning a new job with shift work. Sad, weak, disappointing I know but not much point lying to myself.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Oh and I’ll be heading to Woking 3 days a week over the winter months 🙁

hels
    Free Member

I have an 18 mile each way commute. What is the parking like at your work ? That made a difference for me, being able to park the motorbike right outside work, the car had to sit in the park’n’ride outside town or I had to pay £12 a day for parking.

Do you have secure bicycle parking at work ? Another option to consider is cycling in, train home, train in next day then cycle home. That takes planning but works well in the summer months.

Keep the car, which you have anyway, for rainy days.

You can get a scooter for cheaper too. I think Peter Poddy on here is the scooterism expert. Or scooterphile.

clubber
    Free Member

car would be a nightmare. motorbike a bit less so but you’ll be doing a lot of weaving if you’re going to be faster than a car so IMO it won’t be a relaxing ride.

I used to do Putney to Staines which is pretty similar as a commute. I cycled in two or three times a week and took the train the rest. that worked pretty well for me.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Don’t kill the dream!

fontmoss
    Free Member

Anyone else? Slightly gutted if motorbike will be same timeframe as a car 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

car would be a nightmare. motorbike a bit less so but you’ll be doing a lot of weaving if you’re going to be faster than a car so IMO it won’t be a relaxing ride.

Motorbikes in London are great fun. It’s like a video game. Very, very, stupidly fast.

dknwhy

I’ve not done that commute but I used to commute from Croydon to Hammersmith (mainly) along with other parts of London by motorbike. It is definitely faster than a car without riding like an idiot. Just filter sensibly.
    The train used to take me around 75 mins. Motorbike was 45 mins.
    FWIW get a 500cc CB500 or GS500 as it’s cheap to run and easy to weave around the traffic. I wouldn’t want to ride on small scooter tyes all year round and anything bigger is jut a waste.
    In terms of ease and cost, motorbike is the way to go but then the downside of rain and cold won’t make it always an enjoyable journey. I have horrible memories of riding home in blizzards.
    Be prepared that you will crash at some point. I’m a pretty sensible rider, work even paid for me to go on a bikesafe course for some additional knowledge. I still crashed twice – diesel spill on a roundabout and a car pulling out of a car park through parked cars. It just happens.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuting times and cost: train v motorbike v car (warning London content)’ is closed to new replies.