Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Commuting speed
  • thehustler
    Free Member

So I knocked a fair bit off my fastest commute time last night, just over 18 miles in 1hr 5 mins av speed was 16.47mph inc stopping/slowing for lights junctions etc (not too many and the route is fairly flat), I was quite pleased with this being a fat knacker, what pace do others commute at?

Surfr
    Free Member

Yesterday in to work: 18 miles, 1 hour 3 mins, 685ft ascent, 18.3 MPH http://app.strava.com/rides/8129597
    Yesterday home from work: 32 miles 2 hours 1 min, 2428ft ascent 15.9 MPH http://app.strava.com/rides/8129608

trail_rat
    Free Member

according to strava my fastest is 23.3kms in 53.27

make that 26.2KPH or 16.4 MPH

http://app.strava.com/activities/7398477

Slowest is 1 hour 2

169m climbing , 10 sets of lights and 2 strava segments where im trying to break the 30kph average (sitting at 29.7kph atm – might just stick the 14t sprocket back instead of the spinny 19)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

This is my quickest – 43.6 miles, c130 sets of lights, 2000 ft of climbing at 19.3, with 2 KOMs! Strangely the GPS and WKO reckon 20.3 average, not sure how Strava works it out!

Normal is more like 18mph.

ourmaninthenorth

Yesterday in to work: 18 miles, 1 hour 3 mins, 685ft ascent, 18.3 MPH

So, you covered 18 miles in over an hour, and yet your average speed was faster than 18 miles an hour?

(I used to aim for a c18 average over a flat half urban, half rural commute). 16.5 with lights etc is fine.

TiRed

According to my bike computer, which I don’t reset. I have averaged 15.7 mph over the past 600 miles of flat terrain (20 miles per day). This on my fixed Kona Paddy Wagon with a 72″ gear (278 strokes to the mile 🙄 ) I stop for red lights on a relatively urban route.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im on a 59inch fix at the moment dj – my only options are 59 or 80 …… should break the magical 30kph on my segment with an 80 inch gear – might not get home up the howes though 🙁

monkeychild
    Free Member

Strava is ace at screwing up the figures. My Garmin says one thing, I upload the data to Strava and I have magically become faster by quite a few mph.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Quickest on my most direct route according to Strava is 23.0km in 44m43s. Average of 30.1kph, with 201m of climbing.

A more sensible pace is around the 50 minute mark on this route, which works out about ~27kph.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m happy if I better 16mph on my 14.5 mile commute over the Quantocks, (1000ft climb in the first 3 miles after leaving home).

finbar
    Free Member

My commute is about 3 miles, it takes me 15-20 minutes. I don’t want to get to work all sweaty.

TiRed

59″ would see me spin out! 80 is a big gear for the road though. 72″ is just right. Can cruise at 20, and I can exceed 30 on an underpass if required. To be honest 16 is a bit of a pootle sometimes 😳

convert

How is people on the internet comparing average speeds with each other when they have absolutely no knowledge of the route the other is doing going to provide you with anything vaguely meaningful?

radoggair
    Free Member

avg around 18-20mph. To work is slower by around 8 minutes becuse of climbing involved and wind. 13 mile commute

Surfr
    Free Member

So, you covered 18 miles in over an hour, and yet your average speed was faster than 18 miles an hour?

Good point. I’d not noticed that. It’s not even calculating moving time v total elapsed time so no idea what Strava is up to there. I just blindly pasted the figures into the thread.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My fastest commute was an average of 20mph over 10 miles. Perfect conditions with a tail wind and no stopping at junctions.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have a 500′ climb at one end and the delights of central Leeds at the other end of my 23 mile ride. The rest is flat and fast.

My best is 20.6mph average. My usual is about 18mph.

Only do it a couple of times a week and I’m starting to chuck in some intervals too.

will
    Free Member

Commuting averages vary so much. My Central London commute is 9.6 miles on the way in, quickest ever was 29:30mins, average is around 32/33mins. Traffic and stopping just plays such a huge part.

On the way back, the usual 30 miles (including 3 laps on Regents Park) is always quicker than the way in because you have around 10 miles through the park of very few junctions, so that always boosts an average.

Gary_M
    Free Member

19.97 miles and 600ft of climbing on the way to work
    19.51 miles and 800ft of climbing on the way home

This is my regular route as I do vary it and my average is around 1hr 10mins both ways.

Fastest on the way home is 57.06 and that was last Monday. Anything around an hour is great though. Slowest is around 1hr 30mins – winter, howling headwind, etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“How is people on the internet comparing average speeds with each other when they have absolutely no knowledge of the route the other is doing going to provide you with anything vaguely meaningful”

but it doesnt have to its the internetz….

80″ used to be fine back round my parents – only short hills but up in aberdeen i needed something shorter and richpips sold me a 19t sprocket cheap at the time 😀

brakes
    Free Member

north to central London commute of 7 miles is normally around 13-15 mph.
    near as dammit flat.
    around 4 sets of lights/ crossings per mile, traffic, pedestrians, etc.
    79″ fixed is perfect.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My commute is downhill/with-the-wind on the way and therefore uphill/into-the-wind on the way home. That means I’m close to 20mph average on the way in in the morning, but rather a lot less on the way home…

jonba
    Free Member

mines around 15mph. But then it goes through the centre of Newcastle and up a couple of steep hills. If I give it some effort I can get upto 18mph but it can often be the luck of the lights.

Depends on what you ride to. Mines a 78″ geared steel ss mountain bike. I’m a bit faster on the road or cross bike.

All my averages have gone down since I started using a GPS. I have it run constantly where as my computer stopped when I did. Distances haven’t changed so it suggests it is not a calibration thing.

snakebite
    Free Member

Jul 17, 2012 5:00 PM
    Distance
    45.44 miles
    Duration
    2h:38m:55s
    Avg Speed
    17.2 mph
    Max Speed
    40.1 mph
    Calories
    3229 kcal
    Altitude
    407 ft / 850 ft
    Elevation
    814 ft ? / 758 ft

I have no idea what this means, I was hungry after the ride and had a 12 minute puncture fix at 7 miles…I also had lots of little black flies stuck to my sweaty head and down my unzipped top. Beer stop at the end involved approx 1200 calories so I needed a kebab to replace the deficit.

djglover
    Free Member

Did 12.68 miles in 42:30 this morning, I reckon I was stopped at lights for ablut 4 minutes, so average moving speed is about 20mph.

Strava will confirm later.

More usual is a moving average of about 17/18 mph

scaled
    Free Member

Damn i’m slow :/

Best i’ve managed is about 17MPH on the way home, it’s flat as a pancake and a hell of a lot shorter than the distances you guys are riding! (6.2 miles)

Admittedly there is a fair bit of traffic on the way.

mrmo
    Free Member

Cheltenham to Evesham across the vale of Evesham, ie 50m of climbing in 17miles, fastest is 21mph average, door to door including lights junctions etc. normal about 17mph. usually tail wind in head wind home.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

90% of my commute, usually about a 30 miles round trip is on the Taff Trail cycle path. This is great as there are no cars, lorries etc to contend with but my average is usually drastically reduced the closer I get to Cardiff due to the increasing amount of dog walkers and cyclists. Normally average around 17mph on the way in and 15.5mph back. There are a few more climbs on the way back but it’s mainly quite flat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i never knew it was a race. i’m gonna have to change me commuting bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

Admittedly there is a fair bit of traffic on the way.

depending on the traffic it can actually make you faster. It isn’t nice riding with trucks but you get one hell of a tow, and tractors 🙂 just sit there twiddling along at 30mph.

philconsequence
    Free Member

16miles, usually average around 20mph when you take out all the traffic lights. only been doing it once a week for 3 weeks and i’m beating my time every time 🙂

its more uphill overall on the way to work than the way home i think, but not by much, makes about 3 minutes difference tis all.

quite enjoy it but with morning spin sessions and evening mtb rides i’ve done too much for my legs and i REALLY struggled in spinning this morning. no idea how i’ll cope in the woods tonight, might have to put one of those high5 zero caffeine tabs in a bottle to make it home alive.

theflatboy
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member

Strava is ace at screwing up the figures. My Garmin says one thing, I upload the data to Strava and I have magically become faster by quite a few mph.

mine do the same, but i assume it’s because the garmin takes the entire time taken whereas strava averages your speed by your moving time?

scaled
    Free Member

depending on the traffic it can actually make you faster. It isn’t nice riding with trucks but you get one hell of a tow, and tractors just sit there twiddling along at 30mph.

Got a nice tow off a car with a roof box on the way home last night – could see between the roof and the box so didnt get the ‘your brakes are better than mine’ fear too bad

Trouble with Manchester traffic is it’s generally moving at <15mph

aracer
    Free Member

Do try not to take it too seriously and end up like this poor woman

http://www.303cycling.com/boulder-commuter-receives-2-year-ban

MrTall
    Free Member

Beat my best time today. A shade under 11 miles at 19.4mph (annoyingly i got caught at the very last set of lights otherwise it would have been a tad quicker).

Couple of hills along the route with about 650ft of ascending according to the average off Endomondo (which i know isn’t hugely accurate).

blueraven
    Free Member

Commuting home yesterday on my road bike;

29 Miles took me 1:28:26 @ ave. 19.7mph

2000ft Ascent, Max. Speed 47mph

Dibbs
    Free Member

On my way home across the Quantocks this morning I only managed 12.2mph, but I did stop to help round up some ponies 😕

Time 01:14:05
    Elapsed Time 01:21:19
    Max Speed 51.7mi/h
    Avg Speed 12.2mi/h
    Cadence 65
    Device Garmin Edge 800
    Bike igorre

http://app.strava.com/rides/14641823

njee20
    Free Member

New max PB for me on Tuesday, 20.9mph according to Strava, 21.6 according to the Garmin. Was rather hot.

tonyd

17.5 miles each way, managed to get up to 3 times for the last two weeks. Takes me anywhere between 58 and 65 minutes each way, depending on weather mainly rather than traffic (not many lights or hard to get out of junctions).

I’ve not looked at data yet but generally I think I’m on about 17mph average, maybe a smidge over, including stops.

Was feeling a little tired last night so thought I’d reign it in a bit, last two miles I came up behind someone who was going just a tad slower than me, maybe 2mph. Didn’t want to sit on his wheel, but didn’t want to overtake just to make him sit on my wheel either. Decided to put in some effort and pass him, but then of course I couldn’t look over to see if I’d dropped him in case he was either still there and thought I was a dick, or dropped, saw me looking, and thought I was a dick. Que totally unnecessary eyeballs out 2 mile sprint for home which almost blew me up.

Is it just me that gets paranoid about people thinking I’m trying to race them when I’m not?

njee20
    Free Member

Worked out why the Strava average speed is a bit odd…

I stopped for a few minutes to faff with my iPod on Tuesday. My Garmin auto start/stops, so excludes that period, although obviously there is the ‘elapsed time’ – which matches Strava.

Strava shows me as having gradually slowed down the whole time until I started off again, ie at no point does it show me as having done 0mph, this obviously means that your ‘moving’ average is rather lower than it actually is. It seems to be because it only takes data points by distance rather than time, so it had one saying I was doing 20mph, and then another one, 5 minutes later but only 100 yards away and it assumes I’d just rolled really slowly between them.

It also shows me as doing 15 watts throughout the period!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Commuting speed’ is closed to new replies.