• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commuting solutions for dry feet
  • IHN

Tomorrow’s my riding in to work day; about an hour and a quarter each way. I’ve been lucky weather-wise so far, but autumn is upon is and the forecast for the morning is a bit rubbish 🙁

So, what’s the answer for dry feet? Or, more accurately, dry shoes? I’ve got waterproof boots, but an hour of constant rain and the water’s run down my leg and into them and my feet are soaking (albeit warm, thanks to merino socks). Also, because the boots are waterproof, they take ages to dry out, so they’ll still be wet when I put them on to go home.

Or do I resign myself to warm wet feet on the way in, and putting wet boots on for the way home?

scaled
    Free Member

I have one of these under my desk.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Shoe-Dryer/18-4300

My boots tend to be dryer/warmer for the journey home than they are for the journey in to work!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I just resign myself to wet shoes for the ride home. As long as I get the rest of my kit dry then wet shoes don’t bother me.

Although at this time of year I’m still wearing shoes and I don’t usually put boots on till November.

I have one of these under my desk.

Bet that must stink the place out.

tootallpaul

The imelda marcos route is the only way I have ever managed it.

Ie, have a spare pair of shoes at work.

🙂

kcr
    Free Member

For short commutes, I have stayed dry using goretex over trousers that come down over the ankle of waterproof boots. For anything else you just have to accept you will get wet feet.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is that any good scaled? I could put one of them in the bike shed – its covered and we have a socket in it. Would be ideal for winter.

binners

bigblackshed

Endura Overshoes

Job done.

medoramas
    Free Member

It’s still pretty warm out there – let the feet get wet! Just don’t forget to take spare socks…

scaled
    Free Member

It’s quiet, but the noise is pretty annoying, probably more so for the people say around me as they’re not getting their shoes dried by it.

Probably takes about an hour on low (quiet) to mostly dry out my MW81s, then i give them another blast before home time to warm them up again.

I cna dry them out completely if i leave it on longer but generally oop north there’s not a lot of point as it’ll still be pissing down

Gary_M
    Free Member

sounds good, just a big harr dryer?

trickydisco
    Free Member

These keep my feet bone dry on my commute

STATO
    Free Member

One of those drier things at home for normal shoes or extreme deluges. Generally though, full length mudgaurds, problem solved.

TiRed

Mudgaurds and a long front mudflap will be a good start. And spares shoes at work of course.

CraigW
    Free Member

For warm wet weather, SPD sandals. Your feet will get wet, but they dry off quickly.

dave32
    Free Member

Wear a pair of seal skins waterproof socks with them,I’ve got the shimano winter boots and great for a while but I found if I wore the skins as well at least you can put dry socks on at the end of the day and they keep your feet nice and toasty, no heater at work you can stick them on/under..

billytinkle
    Free Member

Waterproof boots with converted drysuit leg cuffs that cost me £8 from eBay. Stops the rain getting in the top of the boots and never had wet feet no matter how hard it rains.

jimmy

Overshoes, Shirley? That’s my intention.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lake 146 boots are ideal for spring and autumn as they’re not ultra warm like the 303s. They have a neoprene cuff that fits snugly, even around my skinny ankles.

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve never found a pair of overshoes that will keep your feet dry in heavy extended rain. Water will always get down inside the ankle fitting eventually, unless you have something fully waterproof over the top. Overshoes are more about keeping your feet warm in serious weather.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commuting solutions for dry feet’ is closed to new replies.