Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commuting recipes for the microwave
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

I have a long commute a couple of days a week. I have been making massive vats of tuna pasta to blitz when hungry during the day. Pretty boring.

Any nice recipes that are healthy and filling? Also what do you snack on?

ta

stumpy01

Chilli & rice?

Cous cous style things – some of the packet ones are quite good and you just as boiling water to them in a bowl and leave for 5 mins.

Chicken salad with a jacket potato? Potato takes what, 8-10 mins in the microwave?

I used to take in cooked chicken thighs and one of those Uncle Ben’s microwave rice bags, then just shred the chicken while the rice if being blitzed and stir it in.

fasthaggis

Soup and oat cakes.
    Risotto (chicken or mushroom)
    Sausage pasta and pickled red cabbage.
    Cauliflower cheese and tuna.

Snacks

Dried fruit and nuts
    Grapes
    more oatcakes

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Protein shakes (paaaaaaaaaarp!)

lunge

Soup. I make a vat of the stuff each weekend, put it into individual bags then just throw them in the microwave for 5 mins. It’s what I do.

zilog6128

I just make more of my regular dinners and put 1 or 2 portions in tubs for lunches. That way it’s no extra effort. Curry, chilli, paella, sausage & mash and beef & lentil bolognese are some of my staples but use anything I have leftovers of (even roast dinners!)

binners

hammy7272
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers guys.

binners

grenosteve
    Free Member

I have packets of ‘super rice’. not sure who makes them, as I don’t have a packet handy. Takes 12 mins to microwave though, but quite nice. I keep meaning to bring in some kind of meat to have with it, but always forget/can be bothered.

vorlich
    Free Member

Grilled Chicken on Spinach. Add some Scwartz chicken spice for flavour.

Chuck in a few slices of salami, plum tomatos, cottage cheese, Merchant Gourmet Puy lentils/Spelt. Chuck in some additional sundried tomatos or olives if you’re feeling especially middle-class.

Just vary the portion size until you’re happy. I buy the bags of frozen chicken breast to keep costs down, they can be grilled from frozen. I do enough for a few meals at a time, it doesn’t take long to fling the rest together in the morning.

sandwicheater

To my shame I have tried that Iceland kebab, don’t know what went through my mind. 😳

lemonysam
    Free Member

Two cream crackers with cheese in between. 20 seconds in a microwave and you have a ghetto toasty.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Like the Rissoto and jacket spud ideas. Love it.

woody2000

If you’re going to take jacket spuds, cook them properly at home in the oven, then warm ’em up at work. Minging otherwise 🙂

fingerbike
    Free Member

Jamie Oliver fish pie, easy to make and lovely, stinks the office out too. 😛

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-ministry-of-food/articles/all/fish-pie-recipe

wrecker
    Free Member

Scrambled eggs. Protein shakes. Tinned pink salmon. Unsalted nuts. Dried Cranberries.

djambo
    Free Member

cous cous with pretty much any vegetables you have kicking around (grated/griddled/diced or sliced) along with some tinned beans (butter or kidney) and a simple oil/lemon dressing. quick and v healthy.

always cook extra when doing risotto or pasta at home to take the next day.

I always keep a bag of muesli in my desk and milk in the fridge – healthier than a trip to the vending machine for afternoon munchies and give an energy boost if i”m riding home.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Ive been mixing some of the Tesco’s fresh soups with a pack of microwave basmati rice. All the supermarkets do them these days but check the fat content of the soups though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I went to a pub quiz that had a question ‘ how much is a donor kebab in Iceland’

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commuting recipes for the microwave’ is closed to new replies.