Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commuting rear light that will bolt straight to rack
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

anyone know if one is available?

I have a Tortec rack on my commuter that has a small plate on the back to bolt a light to but can’t find any lights that fit like that!

Help

BB

footflaps

I made my own bracket for the Hope Rear light thing – modified a kitchen worktop aluminium bracket (4 holes drilling was all it needed).

zilog6128

Cateye do a rack mount (you have to buy it separately) that works with all of their rear lights AFAIK. The Cateye “holy hand grenade” seems like a decent light, but I have yet to find one of the “super” rear lights (i.e. mega bright/li-ion battery/etc) that has a proper rack mount.

Having said that, I was all set to buy said Cateye at the weekend but the salesguy persuaded me towards the Moon Shield instead as it was only slightly more expensive but much brighter & is USB chargeable. It doesn’t have a rack mount but it does have a clothing clip and I think I will be able to secure it to my Tubus rack with minimal bodging (which I intend to do today).

grahamg
    Free Member

Busch & Muller – dtoplight or whatever variations on this.
    eg.
    http://www.dotbike.com/p/5054

lemonysam
    Free Member

Bontrager Flare 3 comes with a bolt hole (and bolt) for rack mounting.

pdw
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

I just bolted a cylinder of plastic on the underside of the rack so it takes a seatpost bracket. The mrs managed to snap hers, though.

His and hers brackets

Untitled by nickjbanks, on Flickr

zilog6128

I just bolted a cylinder of plastic on the underside of the rack so it takes a seatpost bracket.

Nice idea! Unfortunately my rack is more minimal and doesn’t have the flat plate on top.

This mount looks generic so I’m hoping it will work for my Moon Shield 60 as well. It’s only a few quid so I’ll get one to try it. Although if anyone has one and fancies giving me some accurate measurements of the part of the mount that the light slides into that would be handy!!

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I have a cateye light which bolts directly to my rack. It’s a Cateye LD500 I think. My Toppeak rack has a mounting plate that the light bolts onto, and the light has a little notch on it that keeps it in place.

It’s lasted for years but I don’t know if they are still making them. The TL AU100 has a similar fitting too.

drlex
    Free Member

zilog6128,
    Be careful with the clip; mine broke when clipped onto the cloth loop on my saddlebag, so have left the warranty replacement in the supplied holder rather than risk #2 being lost.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Here’s another possible solution, which the new type of Cateye bracket makes possible, because it’s more versatile than previous ones:

zilog6128

zilog6128,
    Be careful with the clip; mine broke when clipped onto the cloth loop on my saddlebag, so have left the warranty replacement in the supplied holder rather than risk #2 being lost.

hmmm, yes I did think the clip could have been stronger – it did seem to me that if the light somehow caught something then the clip could easily snap. Possibly more of an issue on a jacket/bag than mounted flush to the end of a rack? Shame though as it would otherwise be perfect on the end of my Topeak saddle bag on my MTB.

Kahurangi

I have a Tortec rack on my commuter that has a small plate on the back to bolt a light to but can’t find any lights that fit like that!

Cateye do a rack mount (you have to buy it separately) that works with all of their rear lights AFAIK

I have a Tortec rack and the GF has a Topeak (or the other way round). On one of these, the cat eye mount fits perfectly. On the other, I used some M6 penny washers to fill out the (too-big) holes.

I’m sure someone will be able to help!

CraigW
    Free Member

The RSP Tourlite is good. It has a nice big reflector and decent side visibility. Assuming the rack has holes 50mm or 80mm apart, then it just bolts straight on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commuting rear light that will bolt straight to rack’ is closed to new replies.