• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by juan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Commuting question
  • juan
    Free Member

Right some advices are neede from the commuting crowd.
    Changing job tomorrow. It means longer commute. So far no problem with that.
    However, I won’t have any shower in the new office neither will I have a place for the bike.
    So the idea is that I will drive to work with the bike in the car and then get change and ride back home.
    The foloowing day I will do the other way around, ride to work put bike in the boot and drive back home.
    I will leave clothes and some kim wipes overnight in the car.
    Anyone has done that any tips you care to share?

Cheers

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Train in with bike.

Cycle home?

How far is your commute?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I did the baby wipe thing for about 6 months before we moved to a new office with showers and decent facilities. It’s fine in the dry but any rain and getting properly clean up is very difficult so I would take a towel to wipe down with too. Leave yourself plenty of time as without having a shower it can be difficult to coll down and feel fresh.

SaxonRider

Just leave yourself the extra time it takes to cool down. We have no showers to speak of at my work either, and while I don’t personally have to ride far (only 4 miles each way), there are times when I have certainly had the chance to sweat (or get heavily rained on), and having a towel in my office along with some wipes and spray deodorant, has certainly helped.

The whole driving/riding alternating thing you describe would probably just do my head in. How far is your new commute?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

How far is the nearest Gym, golf club, leisure centre etc ?

Sandwich

Like Saxon Rider says, sit in your cycling clothes until cool and then change. There’s three in a small office here who cycle and it doesn’t get too ripe if we cool before changing.

whitestone
    Free Member

My commute is 21Km each way, we’ve no shower facilities at work so I just ride steadily on the way in and try not to raise a sweat. As above, once at work I just wait a while to cool down before getting changed: baby wipes, towel and smelly aerosol thing deal with most of the pong.

If it’s hammering down in the morning I get the train 🙄 Not too bothered about getting wet on the way home.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I ride 15 miles each way and don’t shower.

You don’t immediately start to stink of BO just because you’ve done some exercise. Just shower before you leave, and wait until you’re cool before changing and use some deodorant.

As for the bike, personally I’d pick up a cheap 2nd hand one and leave it locked outside.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above – shower before you leave, clean biking kit, don’t use a rucksack and don’t overdress. You’ll be fine.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cool down,, wet wipes and clean clothes. The number of people I see wearing a shirt for two daysand the number smelling has quite a coralation.

shermer75
    Free Member

All depends on the length of commute. I manage an hour each way without a shower (but I do change clothes)

ads678

We have a shower but it’s rubbish so I generally make sure i’ve showered at home and have a ‘special areas wash’ at work. We have individual toilets though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

place nearby work.

benp1

Wow, there’s no way I could ride more than 6 miles without being a sweaty mess, unless it was a pedestrian pace

Towel down and wet wipes are probably your best option, or find somewhere to get showered locally (like a gym)

juan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

It’s 20-22 kms depending on the route. Going down to work is going to be fine most of the time the route being rather cool (so cool I have no plan in riding it during winter due to some frequent icing).
    No gym nearby saddly, although I could try and see if I can ‘rent’ shower at the firemen places down the road.
    First commute yesterday. so far so good I’ll do 2-3 a week I guess. Some good idea, but I can’t ‘ride steadily’ I have tried and I can’t. I am a go fast or go home person when it comes to commute.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Commuting question’ is closed to new replies.