• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • commuting puncture hell………aaarrrgghhhh
  • ton

pissing down with icy rain, nowhere to shelter, sodding schwalbe marathons puncture proof impossible to get off the rims without arms like the hulk tyres.
    big fat staple thing about 4mm thick straight through one side of the tyre and out again.

i am now frowning quite angrily…. 😡

sofabear
    Free Member

How far from destination?

Last week I blew a tyre 3 miles from the office (6 miles from home). Running in Northwave GTX boots is not fun, my feet are still recovering.

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKtrWU4zaaI[/video]

scotroutes

If a wee sap like me can manage Marathons (sometimes did half a dozen a day in the shop) then a strapping lad like you should have no problems.

Just MTFU ya big girls blouse

Junkyard
    Free Member

Say that to his face [ bring a ladder]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve found the best way to get them off the rim is to ride on for a bit when the tyres flat. Job done!.

xyeti
    Free Member

And there was me thinking I’d have the opportunity to offload my soon to be redundant M Plusses,

I know I don’t need to tell you experienced bike gurus this BUT

4 tie wraps, one at 6 o clock position, push tight to 9 and lock it off. Again at 12 and one at 3, this will give you a bit of slack to lever the tyre off, not much help in 4 degrees and rain cold and piss wet through I know but being as you don’t want to buy my MP’s I can offer no pity 😛

riddoch

I was once about 3 miles short of work after a 20 mile commute and got a puncture on a new bike. No problem just pop the rear wheel out to change the tube only to discover that the QR spring had been fitted upside down and somehow jammed the wheel in the frame. 3 miles in speedplay cleats is no fun

D0NK

Technique innit Ton? you’ve got to finesse them off the rim 😉

But on a day like today you just want some enormous tyre levers

And sods law, you’ll probably nip the tube levering the tyres back on 🙄

oldnpastit

Sometimes they come off easier if you push the bead into the middle of the rim, making it a wee bit slacker.

But sometimes it’s just one of those things. All you can do is take comfort in knowing that the world tried to do its worst, and you survived, holding your head up high, still there for another day.

jjojjas
    Free Member

I had marathon + on my tourer/commuter and had no problem for 3 years on the same set of tires….then I got a builders wall tie cut through one on the way home one night in the slush…

after wrestling for 40 minutes I walked home and even in my garage I had to cut the bloody thing off the rim with a hacksaw…lol

RustySpanner

Have you tried the Supremes?

A lot easier.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

without arms like the hulk

I’ve seen your arms.

timba
    Free Member

Have you tried the Supremes?

Didn’t they break up in 1977?
    The Doors would be better…Come on baby, fit my tyre

toby1

They definitely take some working off the rims, but if you go round the tyre and pop the bead off its seat first I’ve found this helps. That and a pair of metal tyre levers.

To be fair to them though, until they wore out on me they didn’t puncture, I’m not bike commuting anymore so it’s safe to say 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

I bought a can of stuff from Decathlon that is supposed to seal small holes. It fits on the valve and pumps it full of magic goo and air and apparently gets you home. Think they are £3? Not had to try it yet, but it is in the bottom of my commuter bag just in case.

scaled
    Free Member

Ice Toolz tyre levers are the one for this!

I punctured on the way to work yesterday and even getting a tubless road tyre off was easy.

I couldn’t get the sodding lock ring off the tubless valve though, so still ended up walking the final 2 miles to work 🙁

jonba
    Free Member

It really does depend on the rims. I have some combinations that virtually fall off when flat while others won’t go on with steel levers.

My marathons are so hard to do that in bad conditions I pretty much resign myself to riding on a flat. My commute is 6 miles so it would never be more than 3 miles to a destination. There is so much structure to them I hope they behave a little like run flats.

I’ll curse myself by saying this but in 2.5 years the ones I have, have had 1 puncture which was a big nail in one side and out the other (destroying my mudguard in the process). Going to change them in spring when I service the bike as the back one is now far too slick.

tomd
    Free Member

I bought a can of stuff from Decathlon that is supposed to seal small holes. It fits on the valve and pumps it full of magic goo and air and apparently gets you home. Think they are £3? Not had to try it yet, but it is in the bottom of my commuter bag just in case.

It does kind of work if you make sure you get the glass or whatever out, but makes a hell of a mess and the tube will need binned. I keep one in my bag for commuting.

Aldi / Lidl have it special buy for £2 every so often.

jeffl

With marathon + tyres I find that after popping them on and off a wheel a few times they certainly loosen up. I used to swap tyres regularly when I was using my hard tail for commuting and playing at the weekend. Now got a dedicated commuter with the marathon +s on.

But you have my sympathy, getting a flat in the freezing cold and the rain is never fun.

fasthaggis

I filled up the tubes on my commuter with Stans,so far so good.
    Fixing any sort of puncuture this time of the year is a PITfingers.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless
    tubeless

fasthaggis

High pressure
    High pressure
    High pressure
    High pressure

ton

80psi

and can you run marathons tubeless?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Temperature makes a big difference IME. It’s a lot easier in a nice warm room than in when it’s freezing outside. Tyre seems a lot more supple.

Daffy

Yes, Marathons can be ran tubeless, but it can be quite dependent upon the rims you’re using. I ditched my Marathons as they were heavy (970g) and no more puncture resistant than anything else.

I’ve got 37c Vittoria Hypers running tubeless on both Crests and Archetypes at 55-60psi. Not had a puncture for over a year. And they’re 1.5lbs lighter per wheel.

avdave2

I practise for such scenarios by changinging tubes naked and blindfolded in an ice cold shower without tools.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I filled up the tubes on my commuter with Stans,so far so good.
    Fixing any sort of puncuture this time of the year is a PITfingers.

Think I’ll give that a bash FH.

ahwiles
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member
    I practise for such scenarios by changinging tubes naked and blindfolded in an ice cold shower without tools.

pfft.

come back when you can do it wearing oven mitts…

ton

if I were to take the valve core out of a tube, could I put latex in the tube that way?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yep.

ton

cheers, I will give it a go.

pondo

Punctured two new tubes trying to refit a tight-as cheapo Vittoria. Bit over cycling for awhile. 🙁

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘commuting puncture hell………aaarrrgghhhh’ is closed to new replies.