Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commuting problem.
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

I have just complained to a company about 1 of their drivers who i consider to be driving dangerously close to me every time he passes me on the commute. I think its almost a game to him, to see how close he can get! He isnt particullarly speeding i dont think. Buy when its the same van every time, What would you do?
    Trouble is whilst i havnt mentioned reg numbers to them he will know its me as there are not many cyclists around my way on a morning.
    Should i be worried on monday morning?!

allthegear
    Free Member

If you feel someone is deliberately driving too close, report it to the Police.

And yes, why not give them the registration? The guy is bringing their company into disrepute – they will want to know about it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helmet or bar mounted camera ready to take a pic as he comes too close

doug_basqueMTB.com

change your route for a few weeks? I used to do this after a run in with a car person on my old commute.

bassspine
    Free Member

do call it in to the police. If you are one of several cyclists who have complained about the same vehicle, the driver will get a visit, maybe a caution.

ski
    Free Member

I would also seek a different route in for a week or two.

Will give you a break from the stress of it, plus Mr van man, might just find something else to amuse himself with.

BTW, I have one of these you can borrow if you want:

Tiny video camera with sound

The video quality for such a small thing is actually very good, good enough to pick up a reg plate 😉

Drop me an email if you would like to borrow it for a week or two, if you do decide to take TJ advice 😉

nosemineb
    Free Member

The MD of the company has quickly replied to my email asking for more info and assuring me that he will speak to the driver and this will be the last on the subject. I trust he knows his staff well and they wont take revenge?!
    I think i should brave the road on monday morning and hope things change for the better.
    I feel like a grass!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well I think the fact that you've reported it then that will give you some safety. The driver would have to be a complete idiot to do anything stupid after reprting hime. I've reported bus drivers in the past and haven't been run over – yet.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

These people need to be stopped.

Whilst he 'may' be just ignorant of how much room is required by a cyclist he may also be deliberately buzzing you. Either way he needs pulling up on his actions and a bollocking from his manager will at least let him know that others are aware of his actions.

Whether this will calm him down or send him into some sort of revenge trip against cyclists is another matter but not reporting him is/was not an option. Many companies now have those "am i driving well/badly? call *******" stickers on the rear of their vehicles for just this eventuality.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    Will report back next time he passes me.
    Be safe out there.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I can see why you might want to change your route etc, but I really can't see how the driver can realistically "retaliate" without some kind of legal retribution.

You have his number, you have documented complaints to the company he represents.

I know many STW users have far more experience of this kind of thing than me, but I can't see it escalating.

I agree with Fullstop & Muddydwarf.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

He is deliberatly endagering your life.

If I started a game of 'how close can I swing this axe to nosemineb's face?' would gamely allow me to continue until I'd accidentally buried it in your skull?

cookeaa

I emailed a local company with the details of one of their vehicles where I saw the driver on his phone not so long ago, a Vehicle with stickers indicating it was used to transport flammable, pressurised materials.

I pointed out both the obvious H&S dangers and the very negative picture this paints of the company whose name appears on the vehicle

I was emailed back with the promise of a bollocking for the driver and assurances that he was contravening company policy…

In my opinion, where there is a logo on display, google and email the company, the police will do sweet F.A without physical evidence (i.e. your being actually hit), but most companies will take misuse of their vehicles by employees far more seriously…

I’ve also had a couple of squeakers with the same network rail van which I should have emailed about, but didn’t get the number plate, and “let it go”, I really should have put in a complaint…

But yep you did the right thing contacting his employer…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Commuting problem.’ is closed to new replies.