Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Commuting options
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Used to cycle to my old company (12 miles each way) a couple of years ago and looking to start back up in my new company as we’re dropping down to one car.

But its quite a bit further, 25 miles driving via motorway, looking at the routes I could cycle on I have the option of:

a) 4miles +Train +16miles
    b) 27miles

I’d like option c) ride 14-15miles +train but you can’t take a bike on the train bound for London 😥 and don’t fancy leaving a bike of any value locked up at Reading station

I’m only looking to do this a couple of times a week at first. Does anyone do a similar ride/train/ride or longer commute?

jekkyl

Why does it have to be 4 miles then train then 16 miles, can you get the train half the way or is the station 4 miles away?
    .train half the way in the morning and then cycle all the way home in the evening or get the train every other day.

kimbers

can u take this on a train (folded)

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Nearest station to me is 4 miles, the train from here terminates and gets me to the connecting station (Reading), only trains from Reading>Maidenhead all go into London & Southwest trains don’t allow bikes on trains that end up in London during rush hour.

Folding bike is an option, but actually fancy something a bit longer than a 4 mile commute.

toby1

There are folks on here who do a 27 mile commute each, way, not sane folks, but they are about.

No smaller stations, further on from Reading you could drive ride to then train in from?

pondo

Or sling the bike in the back of the car and drive to a suitable distance, that’s what I does. 🙂 Mind you, I’ve got easy parking in the sticks, which helps.

ska-49
    Free Member

What is your nearest station and where abouts do you work?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can take your bike on train if you go earlier. You can split the commuting some days by car some by bike, eg drive in with bike in boot. Ride home and then back in the next morning. EDIT I just saw you are trying to go tone car so this doesn’t work. Perhaps one car isn’t possible.

kcal

I knew folk in my last place of work that would have a tatty bike at both stations, but that may be going a bit far..

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I do 25 miles each way once or twice per week. Twice per week is very doable.

Either two consecutive days, take two days kit in on first day, ride home with no baggage then back the following day with no baggage, and home on 2nd day with your stuff.

Or I sometimes do a Tuesday and a Thursday.

I don’t have a fixed desk at work and no storage so I have to carry laptop, clothes, shoes, toiletries, change of clothes etc, hence the consecutive days are nice as I don’t have to lug my kit around for a couple of the journeys.

And we’ve just dropped to one car. Not noticed yet 🙂

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I do 22 miles each way 3/4 times a week, you could do that mileage comfortably 2 times a week.

I started off driving half way and then cycling the rest, i did this 5 times a week but i got fed up of packing the car up and finding somewhere to leave it. So i started riding all the way but less days, i prefer it this way as it makes the two other non riding days bearable.

Have a look at the bikes on trains restrictions, as some restrictions only start at certain stations before it is enforced. So you could get on a travel up to the start of the restriction and then ride the rest. I know this was the case on my old Hastings Line when i lived in Kent.

brassneck

Nearest station to me is 4 miles, the train from here terminates and gets me to the connecting station (Reading),

Bedwyn station?

jekkyl

kcal – Member
    I knew folk in my last place of work that would have a tatty bike at both stations, but that may be going a bit far..

not such a bad idea, loads of sub 100 quid bikes on ebay during the winter.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that folder’s too big – a lot of train companies have an 18inch wheel limit, although they don’t enforce it.

But getting even a folder on a crowded train is a pain, so you would want to get to the train early.

I used to use a Dahon Zero G, a bit like that one but less dorky looking!

I now have a Birdy, on which you could do that mileage comfortable and it has 18inch wheels.

Just over the 18inch wheel size is the Dahon Speed Pro, which is supposed to be a fast bike, or the Tern Verge. But they both have hinges, which the Birdy does not, and so could be a pain.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

brassneck – nope Aldermaston

Train in general seems a hassle to save 6-7miles, might scout out the full route at the weekend to see how doable it is.

Will be using the car 3 days a week as my wife only nees it on certain days for clubs for the kids. So I can bring clothes in on thoses days so don’t need to carry anything which’ll help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Commuting options’ is closed to new replies.