Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Commuting on cold potentially icy days…
  • P7Pro

Has anyone used winter specific tyres? The sort where the compound is changed and granules added to the rubber for grip, rather than spikes etc.

hora
    Free Member

Fall off a mountain bike off road. Ok.

Fall off a roadbike on a dark wet or icy morning? who is coming behind you on this road with reduced visibility or passing you as you go down?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i fell off my road bike on some black ice and it was very unpleasant. I was on flat pedals too, which lessons the impact a small amount, but everything happens so quick theres nothing you can do.

I bent the handlebars, damaged pedals/cranks, whacked my knee on the concrete, gave my head a big knock and nearly broke the laptop in my rucksack. was off the bike for several weeks. This was doing about 6-7 mph up to a roundabout.

As above, off-road in poor conditions is fine, but i stay off the roads if its icy now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Oh aye. The head knock on a very very hard surface with a silly flimsy helmet. I had a seriously pulled neck for weeks as well!

Commuting in icy conditions is ‘manly’ however there is a greater chance of you coming off without being prepared or expecting it.

At least in snowy roads etc the impact and shock is lessened.

Plus on roads with the ice approaching people taking LONGER to brake to avoid you laying there.

I’d rather man up and walk into a Man utd fans pub and call them all losers and tosers. Punch in the mouth but at least I wouldn’t have broken anything major. Why risk months of the bike losing your fitness?

simonjf63
    Free Member

I commuted all last winter on Nimbus Armadillos but spent a lot of the time worrying about black ice (two falls) and frozen snow/slush (lots of falls). Did knock my confidence quite a lot.

Just beginning to worry about conditions again especially as I commute through big lorry country and tram/rail lines (they’re lethal when it’s cold). I just take it slow, slow, slow and bale out and push if it gets too sketchy

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think a tricycle would be awsome on ice 💡

Don’t commute in though. I used the Remedy last year through all the snow & ice, got in every day, thus setting a precedent and giving myself zero opportunity for transport related excuses.

Idiot.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Good to hear it’s not just me with a lack of confidence and worrying about coming off! I had quite a nasty off last winter after hitting black ice, still clipped in, laying in the middle of the road – hand to be heled up by a pedestrian. Not good!

I’ve taken to riding further out into the road where the car tyres have been.

On a related note, does anyone wear any form of knee protection riding on the roads in winter? I’ve got more scar tissue on my knees from coming off on my road bike than any other bike injuries. Something minimal (neoprene knee support?) would be ideal.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

D30 Knee pads, troy lee lycra shorts, stay unclipped ❗

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

A friend of mine broke his hip coming off on ice. He spent 3 months on crutches and tow years to get back to full health, though he has discomfort even now – can’t walk all day on the hills anymore.

If you think it’s worth cycling when you know there is a high risk of black ice, go ahead, knock yourself out!

For some of us, the bike is the only option 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

doof_doof – Member

I’ve taken to riding further out into the road where the car tyres have been.

Correct road positioning.

I must say I have never found ice on the roads an issue, Maybe its riding in town

maxray
    Free Member

I guess its true that you dont have massive stretches of ice around town unless its really baltic but it’s the road furniture that might actually be colder, man hole covers and the like and anyt white arrows;/chevrons etc on new tarmaced stretches.. they seem slippy even in normal conditions!

pedalhead
    Free Member

For winter road commuting…

…no falling off problems, though you might get squashed by a car

maxray
    Free Member

ooh I could actually like that for work.. going in anyway as I only get passed by about 3 cars. Would feel vincible on the retun journey at rush hour.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Commuting on cold potentially icy days…’ is closed to new replies.