Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Commuting on cold potentially icy days…
  • maxray
    Free Member

Anyone else get a bit fearful in the in-between weather like today? Found myself trundling along just waiting for a bit of black ice. So, what things make it less likely I will break a bone? Currently running 1.5″city jets, will having a bit less air in help, should I ride in the tracks created by cars or are they more likely to be sketchy?

I’m sure I am just being a bit girly about it!

😳

wors

I’m sure I am just being a bit girly about it!

Yep

druidh
    Free Member

1.5″??? I run 28mm Conti 4 seasons.

maxray
    Free Member

Cheers wors. Guess I should just man up and break another wrist. 🙂

So, 28mm tyres will be better Druid? I used to have 1″ ish tyres on it but found the slightly bigger volume was a bit more comfy, I’m not in a race after all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you hit real ice no tyre will make any difference.

I was spinning out my 23s this morning when I put the hammer down. Moved to salted roads ASAP.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah true, icy or not it still beats driving to work so I shall count my blessings!

wors

No problem :-). As al says no tyres will stop you slipping, just be cautious on corners.

druidh
    Free Member

maxray – Member
    Cheers wors. Guess I should just man up and break another wrist.

So, 28mm tyres will be better Druid? I used to have 1″ ish tyres on it but found the slightly bigger volume was a bit more comfy, I’m not in a race after all.

This…

cynic-al – Member

Oh – and 23mm for racing 🙂

Pieface

I take additional precautions and wear my helmet at this time of year.

atpenergi
    Free Member

MAn up!

Mind you I was told by the Mrs in no uncertain terms I was not cycling home this evening! It’s too dangerous!

Bit miffed now as there was no fog and it seems a bit warmer now.

CountZero

I got out onto the path outside of my house this morning and my feet were slipping all over the place, and I could see white frost and ice on the Tarmac so pushed the bike up to the main road and then got on. I’m a lot more wary of slippy surfaces after my SS went sideways on me at walking speed and I smashed my left knee hard on the deck, and hit my face as well. That was a damp road with Bonty Jones 2.3’s. I’ve totally lost my confidence when hammering the bike hard now, so when it’s in any way slippery looking I’d rather walk than risk smashing into Tarmac again.

mandog

I was about to post a similar post to the OP. I went to get the bike out this morning and instead jumped into the car. I didn’t want to risk coming off the bike.

Looks like it shall be warmer Thursday and Friday though so shall ride then.

druidh
    Free Member

But it ain’t even properly cold yet!

kennyp
    Free Member

Other than ice-tyres maybe?

mosschops
    Free Member

oo-er Same here – felt a bit nervous today and I’m in the South East!

molgrips
    Free Member

Other than ice-tyres maybe?

maxray
    Free Member

Ahh I’m not alone then. Much preferred the headwind today 🙂 Looks like temps are set to plummet over the weekend though if you beleive the weather men so best start getting used to it.

TO clarify its this inbetween weather I struggle with, when its blatently snowy/icy it is a whole different ball game. It’s the sneaky icy conditions that scare me. :o)

woffle
    Free Member

I don’t think tyres are going to make the slightest difference if you hit ice to be honest.

I’ve currently got Schwalbe durano 0.9’s at about 110psi on my Airnimal – pretty much slicks. I’m going to buy something with a bit more tread when I can find somewhere with them in stock but it’s tricky finding decent 24″ tyres. Last winter I rode in all weather on 1.5 Marathons at slightly lower psi. On ice, snow and in heavy rain.

I just think you have to get on with it – I don’t have a choice as it’s either ride or walk – personally I like the colder weather, makes for a nice crisp ride in the morning. I guess it helps knowing your route well, there’s a couple of places that can get a little sketchy with ice etc – just learn to slow down / take it carefully where necessary.

maxray
    Free Member

Indeed.. I have now lifted from my temporary “jeyboyishness” having realised the benefits of exercise, crisp mornings and a nice bowl of porridge after the ride in far far outweigh the potential for ice based shenanigans. 8)

Bring on the snow! Least you end up getting home rather than being stuck in 2hr jams in the car when everything grinds to a halt.

hels
    Free Member

Indeed indeed. I head outside to check conditions before getting on the bike, and with a half rural commute at 6am I’m taking no risks.

I have discovered that the windier it is the less icy, had a HUGE tailwind this morning and not a spot of ice anywhere.

Still leaving the cross tires on the bike tho !

binners

I’ve ridden in fort he last couple of weeks but yesterday indeed felt decidedly sketchy. I was letting the bike drift a bit while cornering with clenched buttocks

Bloody lovely morning to ride in though. The sunrise was spectacular. Not something you tend to notice when sat in stationary traffic, swearing at the idiot who’s trying to change lanes in front of you.

I’m in a new job (been here a month)and I’m getting the usual response to arriving on a bike. They all think I’m insane (its a reasonable distance). The irony is that I’m presently designing the companies ‘environmental statement’ encouraging people to be greener, and walking or cycling gets a mention

I genuinely think they mean it too, rather than it being a bit of ‘green-washing. So I’m hoping people seeing that I ride in and haven’t frozen to death or been hit by a bus may encourage one or two people to give it a go.

Damn… I’ve just cursed myself, haven’t I. I’ll be lucky to make the week out alive!!!

hora
    Free Member

Bought a £100 Giro (atmos?) helmet for ‘posh’ warm weather rides. Popped it on last winter. Got 5metres on my road and went down sideways like a bullit. I was still holding the handlebars as I landed sideways on my head.

When its really icey there is **** all chance I’d ride on the roads to work in the early morning. Someones got to pay my bills.

jonb
    Free Member

Nothing grips ice unless it’s spiked. Just stay alert and be careful. If it get’s really bad I switch my commuter back to flats.

It’s not just corners either. IF you are caught by surprise, ice anywhere is bad. I went down at 20mph on a flat piece of road at the weekend when I hid some ice on my road bike. Didn’t see it and when I hit the deck I was still holding my bars and clipped in it happened so fast.

I find sticking to well used and gritted roads helps as the ice doesn’t linger as long.

Keva
    Free Member

I find the ice forms in the same places all the time, if you ride the same route each day you’ll soon get to know where it is.

Kev

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Get some pedals that are flat one side and spd the other. When you’re worried about the conditions don’t clip in.

BoardinBob

When it gets into the depths of winter I switch to the longer route to/ from work which is twice the distance of my usual on-road route but it’s completely off road through parks and along cycle paths away from the traffic. Slower pace and far safer.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What’s this “man up” BS?

Hit black ice on a bike and you come off – usually at speed and usually pretty hard. Seen plenty of nasty bike splats due to black ice.

Yes ice tyres may help but unless you have them, you are stuffed.

There’s nothing “manly” about trying to cycle on ice – it’s called “stupid.”

toby1

I can smugly sit here and say I took it easy on the small bit of tarmac I use, then hit the mud track followed by the gravel track (it’s like a permanently gritted pathway) so I only had one sketchy moment and the rest was just a beautiful cold crisp ride in.

Really looking forward to the new phone arriving so I can start ‘tumblr’ing the scenes in each morning!

It may sound odd but I’m looking forward to the slightly later sunrises so I can ride in as dawn is breaking – I pretty much ride due east as well so I ride into the sunrise.

I may well have selected the location of the house I bought solely on the commute to work by bike, but that’s just hear’say!

If any of you are the rides I see on the retro Marin Hard tail, the Litespeed or any of the others then feel free to say Hello 😛

BoardinBob

Never mind the ice, the layer of greasy, dead leaves on tarmac has caused a few hairy moments in the last couple of weeks.

maxray
    Free Member

I might fashion a salt shaker on a stick on my handlebars that acts as a personal gritter.. I can see Peter Jones reaching for his money on dragons den already! 😛

ourmaninthenorth

I feel decidedly non-MTFU for resorting to the car today. For no other reason than it was made available by Mrs North.

Yesterday was fine, mainly because it was dry. I think I saw one small patch on the route, and that was in the ‘burbs, rather than the rural part of the ride.

I’m deffo going to sort out my fixie to be a SS cross bike and then on the really icy days take a looooong meandering route alongside the River Mersey.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

There’s nothing “manly” about trying to cycle on ice – it’s called “stupid.”

No, I feel very manly when I do it. Noticably more manly.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stunning ride here this morning post storm – floods and debris everywhere but nice and sunny. Cold but nowhere near icey yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

You MTFDed?

Anyway, just get the ice tyres. Very simple, extremely effective, and you can ride whatever. When it was snowy and icy in combination last year I had my studded mtb tyres on, I was the only person not worried about transport.

hora
    Free Member

Never mind the ice, the layer of greasy, dead leaves on tarmac has caused a few hairy moments in the last couple of weeks.

Add to that diesel spill. Current temp is enough to make the surface slick. Worth noting in a car let alone a bike.

Who cares about MTFU. On mornings when you are particularly tired from a baby that cries all night sometimes you need ALL your wits and balance about you on a bike.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Slight issue with ice tyres:

1) What if there’s no snow this year (likely in Cornwall)?!
    2) They are pretty damn pricey!

maxray
    Free Member

Surely ice tyres are rubbish when its not icy. Metal studs on tarmac = bambi on ice?

darrell
    Free Member

I’m still suffering from an ice related issue 2 weeks ago that ended up with me using my right thigh and right knee as a brake.

the profile on some of the ice tyres is quite low and are okay on tarmac

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Slid off on my road bike yesterday, on OK-ish looking country roads. Whether I ride to work when it’s icy depends on a combination of things really, but I usually walk to the end of my road till I get to something gritted- sometimes I try and ride it but the potential for damaged bike/clothes/body means it isn’t worth it most of the time.

Spongebob
    Free Member

A friend of mine broke his hip coming off on ice. He spent 3 months on crutches and tow years to get back to full health, though he has discomfort even now – can’t walk all day on the hills anymore.

If you think it’s worth cycling when you know there is a high risk of black ice, go ahead, knock yourself out!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Commuting on cold potentially icy days…’ is closed to new replies.