• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Commuting more than 25 miles a day
  • velosam
    Free Member

Following from another thread of a bike for commuting, I am amazed at the number that of people doing 25 or more miles per day, of up to 5 days a week.

I only started riding again about 4 years ago but I struggle to do my 35 mile commute more than 3 days a week. There is the odd week I manage 4. Admittedly I am getting closer to 50 but how do you sustain that level of miles and still be productive at work?

I sleep about 7-8 hours a night, sometimes well, sometimes not so well and try and eat healthy.

I would be grateful for any advice.

crazy-legs

I never even try to do 5 days!

I have a round trip of 32 miles, normal office hours. If I do more than 3 days, I don’t want to ride at the weekend or I’m slow and tired and it’s no fun.

Commuting is OK for base fitness but all it really does is teach you to ride x distance at a fairly steady pace. I know people say you can factor in intervals or sprints or whatever but in traffic and with rucksack/panniers and commuting clothes it’s not usually a practical option.

Accept that a couple of days a week you’ll ride in/get the train home or you’ll drive and use that to take in any heavy things or a bulk load of clothing/clean towel etc.

Then enjoy your weekend rides!

velosam
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

To be honest by the time I get to the weekend I can’t manage much more than a 25 mile circuit.

piemonster

42miles 3 days a week, well, this week at least.

Once out of town I’ve a lot of cycle paths so intervals/fartlek are certainly doable and I ride lycrad up to the eyeballs so clothing isn’t a restriction.

Guess it depends on your commute.

mrblobby
    Free Member

At 35 miles that’s probably a couple of hours a day. If you did that 5 days you’d be doing a 10 hour week. If you looked at typical training plans that’d fairly high volume.

simondbarnes

If you did that 5 days you’d be doing a 10 hour week

If I did my commute by bike every day it’d be about 18 hours a week. That’s too much though so I mix it up between bike, e-bike and car.

dmck16
    Free Member

Postie colleague of mine cycles 16 miles in, walks his full delivery round (easily exceeds 10 miles), then the 16 miles home.

5 days a week, all year round, whatever the weather. Quite often taking a detour home – either over some more hills or some trails if using his cx bike.

No idea how he does it! Tried to figure out his secret. He doesn’t even eat any breakfast!!

chiefgrooveguru

Fortunately my commute is far shorter but if I have a longer one I think an e-bike may be the answer!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is your postie colleague Matt Bottrill? 🙂

Talkingshop: Fastest Postman in Britain – Matt Bottrill

ade9933
    Free Member

I used to do 25 / 30 miles each way 3 times a week. Did it 4 once just for fun in the summer but 2 or 3 worked best mixed in with other riding.

When I moved further away I did 60 miles each way twice a week but due to having to pace it for the distance, it was to the detriment of my fitness.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have a round trip of 32 miles, normal office hours. If I do more than 3 days, I don’t want to ride at the weekend or I’m slow and tired and it’s no fun.

this but mine is 38 flat miles but mainly shared use so not a high average speed due to walkers and dogs being everywhere

IMHO about 10 miles each way is ideal as its easy to do slow if tired and a proper workout if done fast
    in winter 40 mins wet is not that big a deal

Daffy

Mine’s a 38mile round trip, which I do 3 days per week with no panniers. The other 2 days, I drive part way leaving only a 20mile RT and have the panniers full of stuff.

5 days of the full 38 is restricted to summer duties.

As Crazylegs says, if it becomes a chore/drain, pleasure riding goes out the window.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

32 miles a day basic round trip. Work shifts so more complicated but pedal 4 out of 5, or 5 out of 7 days worked, and motorbike the rest with bags full of kit to minimise what I need to carry, and I want to be fresh enough to ride on 2 out of my 3 days off.

Lost all of June to being knocked off by a car, but still hit my annual goal of 6000 miles yesterday. Might aim for 7000, as I will be roping the missus into the Festive 500 which will bank a few extra miles in December.

Racing CX again this year which dents the mileage as we’re doing a ~10 mile effort rather than a 50 mile coffee run. Taking year-to-date figures off Strava and dividing by 46 weeks (so including the weeks missed through injury) shows me averaging 130 miles and 8hr 45m a week for the year.

Just had a look on Strava at people in my roadie club and one guy has already done 10,000 miles this year (averaging 220 miles and 13hrs a week) and is aiming to do 12,000. And he’s quick too 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It can be hard work over winter: the hardest bit I find is the concentration required to ride on unlit, badly maintained Lakeland roads, especially if there’s loads of traffic about.

I average about 30 miles/day monday-friday. I don’t find it a problem TBH. THe weekends its nice to do longer rides of 60 miles or so on a Saturday and a Sunday. I do this over summer about once a month, but usually life gets in the way.
    Also, if you go out and drink on a Friday and Saturday night, there’s absolutely no chance of having a decent ride the following day (at least for me there isn’t). I’d love to be able to do 10000 miles in the year, but I reckon it’d take some serious commitment.

flange
    Free Member

Mines 30+ miles a day, round trip. Once a week I do the longer 42 each way then maybe a short ride at the weekend. Being honest I’m nailed by Friday but I’m just trying to get as many base miles in as possible after being out for a month following being in a train crash.

I eat my own body weight in food and can sleep standing up but being disciplined about stuff like sleep and stretching keeps me going

2ND what David says, if I have a drink I’m useless the next day. Currently in bed with an all day hangover after drinking last night..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the hardest bit I find is the concentration required to ride on unlit, badly maintained Lakeland roads, especially if there’s loads of traffic about

I’m “lucky” in that the largest, rural, part of my basic commute is pan flat and largely exposed and open, so on moonlit late (and hence traffic-free) shifts I often do that entire section with the lights off. I’d probably trade that for the lakes though!

I have a few different routes I can do, some hillier and tree-lined which are more interesting, except at this time of year when the fallen leaves and crud make for slick roads.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m “lucky” in that the largest, rural, part of my basic commute is pan flat and largely exposed and open, so on moonlit late (and hence traffic-free) shifts I often do that entire section with the lights off. I’d probably trade that for the lakes though!

Sounds dreamy! To be fair, I used to do most of my cycling later on in the evening when the roads weren’t as busy….it’s a much nicer experience.

I have a few different routes I can do, some hillier and tree-lined which are more interesting, except at this time of year when the fallen leaves and crud make for slick roads.

😀 plus the oncoming drivers that forget to dip their lights…..

prawny

I do a 40 mile round trip 5 days a week, don’t ride too often at weekends though, especially over the winter, just can’t be bothered to get out of bed. Did a few Saturdays and pre work Mtb rides when the mornings were lighter though

It’s hard at this time of year, but it’s the bike or the train, and I know which one I prefer. So far I’ve done just shy of 8000 miles, I’m an insurance broker though, so not the most physically demanding of occupations.

whitestone
    Free Member

10,000 miles a year is serious going, I’ve managed 10,000Km for the last three years but might not make it this year. My commute is 21Km each way, I can ride it five days a week for two or three weeks but struggle after that. Usually I’ll do four days then get the train on Friday as a rest before the weekend. At this time of year it’s very weather dependent as I’ve nowhere to dry kit during the day so if it’s raining in the morning I’ll get the train.

velosam
    Free Member

Cheers all. Its a long day about 12 hours by the time I leave home and get back. Work is not physically taxing but more mentally draining.

TBH I sometimes feel like a bit of wimp, not doing a full weeks mileage, maybe this is all I can hope to achieve for now.

I thought my endurance was supposed to improve as I got older but it sure does not feel that way!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I did 40-45 miles a day 4 days and a big ride (80ish) on my day off for a year or so.With a race most weekends.
    I lost a lot of weight.Won some races.Lost any semblance of having a ‘life’.

orangeboy
    Free Member

43 round trip twice maybe three times a week never everyday.
    Far rather be on the bike than in the car.
    But I have the time

Just build up bit by bit and don’t try and over do it. That and be organised clothes ready night before etc

Prophet2
    Free Member

26 mile round journey, four days a week on a single speed. That’s built over a few years, originally was a 12 mile round trip. Best way to start and end a work day in my opinion. Almost helps you sleep soundly at night!

shermer75
    Free Member

Repeat the following mantra:

“The more cycling I do the more awake I feel. The more cycling I do the more awake I feel.” Ad infinitum! 🙂

velosam
    Free Member

I was hoping I would sleep better but it does not always work that way.

Sometimes I am amazed that despite having a tiring ride I just cant fall asleep.

The worse part of the commute is the sheer number of lights and traffic. About a third of the journey is into C London, which is OK in the mornings but seem to be gridlocked in the evening.

senorj

I have a 50 mile round trip. I did ride it for 13 consecutive work days when I was between cars. Nearly killed me.
    Now twice ,maybe three times per week in summer. Once a week in winter.
    I prefer to do it home and back the next day . Which gives options for a long ride home. Hurrah.
    “Eating your own body weight” certainly rings a bell.
    & imo it’s quite mentally draining ,cycling in the city. At least I have tranquil, leafy, off road options ,once I clear High Barnet. 🙂

ac282

I do about 38 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week. The ride is pretty flat so its takes about an hour in summer/ 1 hr 5 minutes in winter.

I like to ride without as bag as much as possible so the main problem is keeping on top of logisitcs, making sure I’ve got clothes and food at work.

crazy-legs

The worse part of the commute is the sheer number of lights and traffic. About a third of the journey is into C London, which is OK in the mornings but seem to be gridlocked in the evening.

The type of commute plays a big part in how enjoyable it is. Central London (or any big city) is usually shit. London I’d say is actually better than most just because of the sheer number of cyclists now whereas other cities normally have near zero decent infrastructure.

For a little while I did occasional days at a site in Kendal (when I lived in Lancaster) and the 25 mile commute up there was just brilliant. SO quiet, lovely little country lanes and I used to cycle it as much as I could. Loads of options too – canal towpath in summer on the CX, add in some woodland trails or go over the hills on the way home. Winter I just used to go the most direct route and there were certainly occasions where I’d drive it but that ride was mostly just a pleasure, never a chore.

Now I commute in/through Manchester and it’s nowhere near as nice!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Thankfully back working local now. 20 miles per day along the Tarka Trail N Devon. As I had to drive N Devon to Plymouth everyday for the last 5 months being back on the bike is fab. Rain or Shine. Sure it will not be long before the fab even in the Rain soon wears thin.

timba
    Free Member

Cycling shouldn’t be a chore so make it fit around you and how you’re feeling. I’m lucky enough to have showers, etc at work so that helps, and I can store clean clothes there too
    Three (maximum) cycle commutes, two car journeys (clean stuff in, dirty stuff home) and that’s it
    I don’t mind the dark/cold/wind but I won’t cycle if it’s miserable/dangerous (raining, ice, snow, fog)
    Some weeks I don’t cycle commute, but there’s always next week
    There are mornings when I can’t be bothered, but I know from experience that the worst bit is getting ready and the cycling more than compensates

velosam
    Free Member

Ac282 how do you manage 5 days?

I am lucky in that we have showers and a changing room at work. I do get ready the night before and at the moment put all the clothes on the radiator!

When I don’t ride in and then see all the cyclists in London,that’s when I wish I was back on my bike!

Maybe I just need to HTFU lol

TiRed

One of our clubmates has gone from Cat 1/2 road racer to commuting 25 miles each way every day plus club chaingangs. He’s raced enough to retain his second cat license (3 races), but is to tired to race more.

Personally I think a 45 minute ride each way is about right. Anything less feels too short, and I often try and make the ride longer.

If you aren’t enjoying it, it’s probably too much. A nice bike for the journey always makes it more pleasant. I ride a variety from fixed road bike, to winter bike, to recumbent trike. The trike is always the fun, regardless of distance!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Commuting more than 25 miles a day’ is closed to new replies.