• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by pcb.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Commuting lights to see by recommendations please
  • oxym0r0n

Need some recommendations for a colleage who is braving the lanes of Somerset this winter to ride to work.

I am happy with my joystick @ 400 lumens in terms of output to see by but her budget is a bit less
    Specs:

– £50 or less
    – Simple to use/set up
    – 3hrs-ish burn time (so as not to charge all the time)
    – >=400 lumens

Thanks

oxym0r0n

Good shout thanks – any others out there?

simondbarnes

It’s ‘only’ 300 lumens but I’ve been impressed by the Cateye Volt 300 @ £50. 3 power levels + 2 flashing modes, 3 hours on high, USB charging.

TiRed

Cateye EL620 will be fine and may be a little cheaper than £50. Volt is the newer Cateye alternative. If she can stretch to £100, then the original Exposure Strada is an excellent light with comparable lumens (and a better road beam) to your Joystick. I have one of each. Any will suffice but the Strada, whilst not as bright as the more recent lights, is plenty for dark lanes and the bargain light of the moment. Mine is on its third winter.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been using Light&Motion for the last year. Pricey (I was a noob and knew no better) but they work and are neat.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Another vote for L&M here, not the cheapest around but I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. Go into Ralphies and have a chat with Baz.

sma_ll
    Free Member

Had good experience with Canb-seen lights. Used their commuter pack for all of last year and this one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A little over budget, but this is my pick at the moment;
    http://www.stonehengecycles.com/product/9319/moon_xp500_shield_rear_light_set

Superb rear light thrown in, basically!

I’m currently using this for an unlit country lane commute and it’s more than bright enough to see where I’m going, even to make cars pull over to let me through passing spaces.

USB charging, two cables and a wall plug. One at home, one at work.

pcb
    Free Member

I use an Ebay 900 lumen jobby, its under £25 and has a really good battery life.

A good part of my commute is pitch black and I can see everything on the road on low.

I also have an Alpkit Gamma on my helmet, the high level light makes me much more visible IMO.

PCB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Commuting lights to see by recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.